Colorado Avalanche Media Coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
Move on? What do I have to move on from? You don't have to drag people for being stupid when you have nothing to do with anything. Just keep living your life.
What? I was talking about people on twitter since he's getting dragged, while his defenders are saying people are snowflakes now and can't take a "joke"

Dude has a history of being shitty

You seems in a bad mood. Did an old lady touch your shoulder, too?

:laugh: you're so funny!

Sorry I find a sexist person shitty.

Last edited:

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
That story doesn't seem to jive with the early rumors they were looking outside the org for a replacement.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Since Moser has been doing the radio for what, at least ten years? It seems strange to me that right now they decided he might be good on TV. Dater making up bullshit to deflect from him being a clown on twitter imo

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
If true, that's unfortunate for Haynes.

My fear with Moser is that he'll try a bit too hard and it'll get annoying, especially after that "guts all over the place" call recently went viral. I never listen to games on the radio so I don't know how he is throughout an entire game but he's usually just screaming in a lot of the highlights they put on the website. I do think he's pretty good when he does some of those studio shows with McNab and the pregame stuff with Lauren.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
If true, that's unfortunate for Haynes.

My fear with Moser is that he'll try a bit too hard and it'll get annoying, especially after that "guts all over the place" call recently went viral. I never listen to games on the radio so I don't know how he is throughout an entire game but he's usually just screaming in a lot of the highlights they put on the website. I do think he's pretty good when he does some of those studio shows with McNab and the pregame stuff with Lauren.
When I used to work delivery I would listen to Avs games on the radio all the time. He's over the top on a lot of stuff, but he's also MUCH better at calling the action than Haynes. There are times, if I closed my eyes watching an Avs game and just listened, that I wouldn't know what the hell was going on. With Moser, you always know exactly what is going on during the play.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
When I used to work delivery I would listen to Avs games on the radio all the time. He's over the top on a lot of stuff, but he's also MUCH better at calling the action than Haynes. There are times, if I closed my eyes watching an Avs game and just listened, that I wouldn't know what the hell was going on.

Heck sometimes you'd not even know that the game resumed 1+ minute ago. I'd find myself regularly "telling" him to get back to the friggin' game. The more I think about it, the more I'm welcoming the change.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
It's hard to describe, but Moser calls the game with a rhythm and tempo that really adds excitement to what he's doing. I can't really do it justice for people who don't listen to radio calls but I think people who were used to Haynes will be pleasantly surprised at how good Moser is.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
It's hard to describe, but Moser calls the game with a rhythm and tempo that really adds excitement to what he's doing. I can't really do it justice for people who don't listen to radio calls but I think people who were used to Haynes will be pleasantly surprised at how good Moser is.

Agreed. Moser sounds like a genuine hockey fan. Haynes sounded a bit like a WWE announcer, their was a "fake" vibe with him.

Although in the end I really prefer the CBC approach to describing hockey games: competence over excitement.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
What? I was talking about people on twitter since he's getting dragged, while his defenders are saying people are snowflakes now and can't take a "joke"

Dude has a history of being ****ty
Oh yeah, I know it's not directed at me. And I know Dater's a noted douche, I'd never tell you otherwise. I just find it weird that everyone has to chime in on everything now that we have giant social media platforms. People feel like they have to declare they condemn violence, racism and what have you, when in fact they don't. There were idiots before social media. But sure, unsuscribe and boycott everything whenever an idiot does a stupid.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
His radio calls are awesome, can't wait see him on TV.

Reactions: 5280

Byzantium

Jun 17, 2017
I'm thinking about subscribing to one of these newspapers but wan't to limit myself to just one. Where do you think I get most value? I'm looking at The Athelic vs BSNDenver mostly

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I'm thinking about subscribing to one of these newspapers but wan't to limit myself to just one. Where do you think I get most value? I'm looking at The Athelic vs BSNDenver mostly

I would say BSN honestly. The Athletic is awesome for NHL/all sports coverage, but Avs wise I'd say BSN if you can handle the amateur-ish/fan blogger type of articles now and then.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I'm not subscribed to the athletic but from what I'm reading here and other boards it's a bit underwhelming? My favorite part of the AVS media coverage is by far the BSN podcast and you don't need to be a paid subscriber to listen to it. However I'd feel a bit guilty not to (these guys need to eat) so I subbed. I do like their players' ratings after each game during the season though, and that's subscribers only.

Byzantium

Jun 17, 2017
I would say BSN honestly. The Athletic is awesome for NHL/all sports coverage, but Avs wise I'd say BSN if you can handle the amateur-ish/fan blogger type of articles now and then.

I'm not subscribed to the athletic but from what I'm reading here and other boards it's a bit underwhelming? My favorite part of the AVS media coverage is by far the BSN podcast and you don't need to be a paid subscriber to listen to it. However I'd feel a bit guilty not to (these guys need to eat) so I subbed. I do like their players' ratings after each game during the season though, and that's subscribers only.

Thank you. I think I will go with The Athletic just becasue I get coverage of other teams and other sports aswell. And also because the BSN podcast is free already.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
The Athletic is great, I'm quite happy with my sub, and I expect to get even more out of it now that they have a good writer covering the Avs specifically. I just enjoy the quality writing and journalism though for around the league stuff, they really have a great staff assembled.

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Wow, needed to read this thread back a couple of pages. I had no idea Moser was moving over to tv.

I like the idea of Moser moving to the television. In in the end it should be a better product. Too bad they couldn't find something agreeable for Haynes to do though.

Last edited:

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
sexiest person
words rarely used to describe Dater

When I used to work delivery I would listen to Avs games on the radio all the time. He's over the top on a lot of stuff, but he's also MUCH better at calling the action than Haynes. There are times, if I closed my eyes watching an Avs game and just listened, that I wouldn't know what the hell was going on. With Moser, you always know exactly what is going on during the play.
Well yes, he has to be more descriptive since there's no pictures. He won't be when he doesn't have to describe basic stuff like where the puck is all the time. As long as he doesn't do what Haynes and McNab had a tendency to fall into - throwing in anecdotes which ended up over-running and leading to talking over play - there won't be a problem.

Reactions: JWK

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
words rarely used to describe Dater

Well yes, he has to be more descriptive since there's no pictures. He won't be when he doesn't have to describe basic stuff like where the puck is all the time. As long as he doesn't do what Haynes and McNab had a tendency to fall into - throwing in anecdotes which ended up over-running and leading to talking over play - there won't be a problem.

My favourite was always when they were laughing and joking about some silly thing while the play on the ice was really exciting and physical and Haynes had to suddenly cut McNab off when the Avs or the other team scored, and he'd have no idea how the goal happened until he saw the replay. Oh and by "favourite" I mean "thing that made me want to yell and scream obscenities at the screen".

Reactions: Balthazar

madman

Deadmarsh Deli Dills
Jun 6, 2009
Steamboat Springs
Interesting... Per DP (I can't link it currently), Moser goes to TV, Conor McGahey to the radio booth. Glad we got back McGahey back from Vegas - seemed like he did really well there, but it makes sense for him to be in Denver if he's maintaining his other local gigs.

Reactions: Avs_19

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Interesting... Per DP (I can't link it currently), Moser goes to TV, Conor McGahey to the radio booth. Glad we got back McGahey back from Vegas - seemed like he did really well there, but it makes sense for him to be in Denver if he's maintaining his other local gigs.

I like McGahey. He could be a good Roach replacement in the future as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad