News Article: Colorado Avalanche Media Coverage Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
If they want a personality who was a great player... they need to target Roy. He has other ambitions, but he'd make every broadcast must see TV.

I was thinking the exact same thing when the Gretzky news first popped up. It must be a no from Roy's side because he still wants to manage/coach. I can't imagine the big networks in Canada or even the US willingly passing on him.

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
I was thinking the exact same thing when the Gretzky news first popped up. It must be a no from Roy's side because he still wants to manage/coach. I can't imagine the big networks in Canada or even the US willingly passing on him.
How many Quebecois do you see in media outside of Montreal? I can think of Biron in Buffalo, and that's about it. And his accent is flatter than Roy's.
I'm not saying I personally view that as an issue, but broadcasters might.
They might also be wary of him being himself. The guy isn't known for having a filter.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
How many Quebecois do you see in media outside of Montreal? I can think of Biron in Buffalo, and that's about it. And his accent is flatter than Roy's.
They might also be wary of him being himself. The guy isn't known for having a filter.
ESPN should be all over it and since it isn't a broadcast company there really are no language enforcements per se other than what the company is okay being associated with. I'd imagine they'd be fine with the few expletives as long as they aren't approaching socially unacceptable. In fact, it might increase ratings in the younger demographic that find unfiltered to be funny or more importantly, who find his passion for the game contagious.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
They're making comparisons between Wayne Gretzky and Charles Barkley. Ummmmm...hey I love The Great One as much as the next guy, and his SNL hosting gig remains an underrated gem, but are they seriously expecting him to show a boatload of personality because...have they met Wayne?
It’s going to be terrible. 99 is super boring, I don’t expect insights or interesting stories.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I mean ESPN hired Stephen A. Smith and he's like the face of their franchise.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

Why in the world do you think the network that inflicted Stephen A. Smith and Skip f***ing Bayless upon us would be dissuaded by that!?

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
Haha. No. I get it. And of course ESPN would court controversy for ratings - that's the schtick of every lazy sports commentator - but I mean his lack of filter could be "can't go on TV" level. Not just some some sass and some swears.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Haha. No. I get it. And of course ESPN would court controversy for ratings - that's the schtick of every lazy sports commentator - but I mean his lack of filter could be "can't go on TV" level. Not just some some sass and some swears.

We are talking about Roy right? He has a fire in his belly and when his has flesh in the game, yeah...I kinda see what I think you are saying...maybe. But as a studio analyst? Or even a color guy? Naw...he mutter a few, "You gotta f***ing be kidding me's" under his breath but he's an entertainer as well as a professional and will act accordingly. His passion for the game won't allow him to go and alienate someone who also loves the game. I mean...we're not exactly talking hiring Rush Limbaugh (RIP) to do national sports coverage. I just don't see Patrick falling into a category that would be that worrisome or am I missing more than the well publicized incidents in his marriage?

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Roy would likely be great in the studio. Just depends on what he’d like to do. Unlike Brett Hull, who was an unmitigated disaster, he’d do the work and preparation necessary for the job. Also, while he liked to talk, I don’t ever remember him crossing the line in any egregious sense.

But like I said, it would depend on if he wants to do it. At present he really wants another shot at coaching and/or running an NHL franchise. I really hope he gets the Habs gig but who knows.

Reactions: xpatriatedtexan

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Roy would likely be great in the studio. Just depends on what he’d like to do. Unlike Brett Hull, who was an unmitigated disaster, he’d do the work and preparation necessary for the job. Also, while he liked to talk, I don’t ever remember him crossing the line in any egregious sense.

But like I said, it would depend on if he wants to do it. At present he really wants another shot at coaching and/or running an NHL franchise. I really hope he gets the Habs gig but who knows.

I'm not sure Brett Hull is qualified to do anything other than shoot a puck and drink beer.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

Roy's English is not great (I'd even say surprisingly bad considering how long he's been in the NHL). I don't think it would work for that reason alone...and I say this as a French Canadian whose English is pretty bad as well.

It's fine for an interview here and there but not good enough to work on the show.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Roy's English is not great (I'd even say surprisingly bad considering how long he's been in the NHL). I don't think it would work for that reason alone...and I say this as a French Canadian whose English is pretty bad as well.

It's fine for an interview here and there but not good enough to work on the show.

Harry Caray mangled names so badly it became part of his act. Don Cherry made an entire career dressing up in ridiculous suits and spewing general, incoherent nonsense. Martin Biron's accent is so thick he sounds like Quebecois Inspector Clouseau and he still does English-speaking TV for NHL Network Radio and TV all the time. I really, seriously doubt that would be any sort of impediment.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005

Even better, he's allowing the blood vessels in his neck, along with his skintone's red-shift to aid his bad english explainging why JR is a joke and should never have been allowed near a microphone in the first place. And it as at that moment the door was open to another network to step in.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I forget which thread this discussion was going on in the other day, but this seems as appropriate a place as any to post it.

I present to you: Moser Bingo.

Like a
Pitching
Wedge​
Stuffed Down
Deep​
May Have
Gotten
A Piece​
Scissoring​
No Call
There​
This May Be
An Icing​
On His
Gut​
Pool
Cue'd​
Blew His
Own Tire​
Good Wood
On It​
Clubbed Down​
Rubbed Off
The Puck​
I Can't
Believe It!​
Turnaround
Opportunity!​
The Worst
Kind of
Way​
Timeout Is
Coming
Your Way​
Off the Side
Of the
Cage​
Rang it Off
The Iron​
Took a
Funny
Bounce​
Lifted High in the Air​
Put the Brakes
On​
Absorbed
A Hit​
Knocked Down
From Behind!​
Kicked it to
His Blade​
Didn't Get All
He Wanted
On It​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I forget which thread this discussion was going on in the other day, but this seems as appropriate a place as any to post it.

I present to you: Moser Bingo.

Like a
Pitching
Wedge​
Stuffed Down
Deep​
May Have
Gotten
A Piece​
Scissoring​
No Call
There​