News Article: Colorado Avalanche Media Coverage Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
How sad is it that I'm looking forward to the B-team NBCSN announcers tonight over the worthless duo we have to endure on Altitude?

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
Leah Hextall to make history as ESPN's new NHL play-by-play voice: Source

She's not good, IMO, and I personally can't stand her high-pitched voice. I listed to her call frozen 4 games, and it was cringe worthy. Kept calling players by the wrong names, and in the long OT game she repeatedly got the period they were in wrong. Hopefully, they put her with a good color guy and on ice guy, and she improves with time.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
McNab may have to correct Mose but he'll always be the guy who said "Shotgun Willie" on TV.
Not in relation to James Harden anyway.

Speaking of which, I got a text from a friend that works the thinking she might have saw an Av player there Saturday, we were able to determine it wasn’t him. Too Short.

Reactions: dahrougem2

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Leah Hextall to make history as ESPN's new NHL play-by-play voice: Source

She's not good, IMO, and I personally can't stand her high-pitched voice. I listed to her call frozen 4 games, and it was cringe worthy. Kept calling players by the wrong names, and in the long OT game she repeatedly got the period they were in wrong. Hopefully, they put her with a good color guy and on ice guy, and she improves with time.
In terms of PBP quality she's actually good. The problem and you notified the elephant in the room is she has to have one of the highest-octaves I've heard a woman let alone a human have. Helium level high and that's normal for her lol.

Reactions: Bill Peckerskull

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
For anyone that want to judge for themselves, this is her:

I'm not a fan personally. I like my PHB people to have a deep, powerful voice and be able to really convey the excitement of the moment. She doesn't seem to have any of that.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
For anyone that want to judge for themselves, this is her:

I'm not a fan personally. I like my PHB people to have a deep, powerful voice and be able to really convey the excitement of the moment. She doesn't seem to have any of that.

An outside the box idea for you:

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Yeah, not a fan. And I'm not against women working in positions like that, but if I'm being honest she'll probably turn casual fans away rather than keep them hooked.

Same thing with Harnerayan Singh on Sportsnet. Might be one of the most monotoned PbP guys in the world up until the home team scores. He doesn't engage at alllllllllll.

I do wonder why the greats seem to be so rare to find nowadays. Maybe it's over exposure? You just don't hear the true "voices" like Bob Cole, Doc Emrick, Marv Albert, Kevin Harlan, Chris Cuthbert, etc.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I agree totally. In theory, I couldn't care less what race or gender the PBP person is. Singh and now Hextall seem more like diversity hires rather than legitimately the best person available. Maybe with Hextall, they're hoping to attract that segment of the population who cares more about diversity than anything else, but I'm not sure there's too much overlap between that group and hockey fans outside of certain markets.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Y’all are entitled to your opinions but I thought it was fine. No weird non-sequitirs, no blathering about where the guy played when was 5, good description and analysis on what was going on. All I care about is the work really, voices don’t really factor one way or the other unless it’s someone like Vin Scully.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
They do different jobs, I'm curious as to why they're being compared to one another. We don't compare Moser to McNab, do we?

We compare them all the time on here on which one is worse. Hextall isn't bad at all at what she does. I wouldn't say she is top tier, but good. Now Mleczko is just terrible... she actually detracts from the games she on significantly.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
We compare them all the time on here on which one is worse. Hextall isn't bad at all at what she does. I wouldn't say she is top tier, but good. Now Mleczko is just terrible... she actually detracts from the games she on significantly.

Could not disagree with you more. AJM started out kinda rough and hesitant but I've watched a few Isles games here and there as well as her national broadcasts, I think she breaks stuff down well.

And we don't compare Mose and McNab, we just poke fun at their antics.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Could not disagree with you more. AJM started out kinda rough and hesitant but I've watched a few Isles games here and there as well as her national broadcasts, I think she breaks stuff down well.

And we don't compare Mose and McNab, we just poke fun at their antics.

I think she stutters too much, fumbles in the breakdowns in her analysis, and doesn't add anything to the broadcast. I really find here to be a poor color commentator. Yeah better than a lot of local guys, but national broadcast wise she is near the bottom.

We poke fun, but there is plenty of talk about which one is better vs worse.

Reactions: Avalanche

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I think she stutters too much, fumbles in the breakdowns in her analysis, and doesn't add anything to the broadcast. I really find here to be a poor color commentator. Yeah better than a lot of local guys, but national broadcast wise she is near the bottom.

We poke fun, but there is plenty of talk about which one is better vs worse.

Agree to disagree I suppose. There's really no evidence of her stammering in that video example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad