News Article: Colorado Avalanche Media Coverage Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I don't remember who said it, but someone said a while back that the Athletic's articles are too long, and I totally agree.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
I'm sure they've hired people who know how to run a bar. I mean I don't think you are going to see AJ and Adam Mares serving drinks there. They seem to be wanting to create a community and seems pretty cool to have a home base where fans can watch games and interact with the media folks who will presumably be hanging around. Still this timing could be pretty bad for them.
I’m not expecting then to be behind the counter but they’ll need to manage the bar. Or they will have to hire a manager they’ll have to pay and really trust.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I don't remember who said it, but someone said a while back that the Athletic's articles are too long, and I totally agree.

Some are. Some are the perfect length for when you're in the mood for a longer article.

It's definitely not a place for people who don't enjoy reading though, I'll say that.

Babel Salamander

Oct 9, 2017
I’m not expecting then to be behind the counter but they’ll need to manage the bar. Or they will have to hire a manager they’ll have to pay and really trust.

The people running the sports coverage side of the business aren't going to manage the bar. And yeah they'll have to hire people they will pay and trust. You're saying that like that's a difficult thing to find. They have a licensing agreement with Little Pub Company which runs about 20 bars around the Denver Metro Area.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
The people running the sports coverage side of the business aren't going to manage the bar. And yeah they'll have to hire people they will pay and trust. You're saying that like that's a difficult thing to find. They have a licensing agreement with Little Pub Company which runs about 20 bars around the Denver Metro Area.
Fine if they are passive owners. That’s money that could be used to hire talent or pay for things on the media side. So there is an opportunity cost. I don’t know DNVR, maybe they are making a bundle. I thought it was a fledging business.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
There's already a sports bar there, they probably bought it? Outside of the virus thing it's a good idea IMO. That's probably where they'll record their podcasts and stuff. Great promotion tool going both ways.

They are doubling down on the fan connection thing. Actually makes a ton of sense for them in a unique way.

Reactions: klozge

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
lf

A picture of DNVR's knucklehead?

Ask and ye shall receive!

View attachment 333889
Is it wrong that I always think of the mayor from Dr. Suess' How the Grinch Stole Christmas! when I see his picture.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Chequemate mate, it was me.

Some are. Some are the perfect length for when you're in the mood for a longer article.

It's definitely not a place for people who don't enjoy reading though, I'll say that.
Some absolutely deserve to be long, that story about EBUGs across the league was awesome and enjoyed how long it was. Likewise when a lad produced a story concerning players on trade deadline day. But I went through Wheeler's top 62 spring list and it was an effin' nightmare to go and try to read through it. I like reading, but I rather go through 5 stories instead of 2½ to 3.

Last edited:

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Him and Rudo make for an interesting pair. Guy has always struck me as a bit of a goober and some of his YT thumbnails do him no favors in that regard:

I have a hard time taking him seriously as well. I haven't listened in a while, but I felt like he let AJ bully him a bit in the podcast Which was fitting.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Got hit yesterday with a sneaky auto-renewal charge from the Athletic, no reminder, no email, nothing. $72 charged on my credit card out of the blue. There's no option to turn the auto-renew off on the website, the only option is "cancel subscription" but I never did it in fear that I'd forfeit the time left that I already paid for (like BSN did). I despise that auto-renewal process, I know they make a ton more money because of it.

Anyway, I love to read the Athletic but that's too much money for what it is. $35/year promo was fine but $72 isn't. That's Amazon prime/Netflix territory.

I wrote them an email to cancel the payment, I won't be a subscriber anymore (for now at least).

Edit: Apparently when you cancel your subscription you don't get kicked out immediately and can enjoy the rest of your pre-paid time. I wish I knew that...so that's good to know if anyone here don't want a surprise on their credit card statement.

Last edited:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Got hit yesterday with a sneaky auto-renewal charge from the Athletic, no reminder, no email, nothing. $72 charged on my credit card out of the blue. There's no option to turn the auto-renew off on the website, the only option is "cancel subscription" but I never did it in fear that I'd forfeit the time left that I already paid for (like BSN did). I despise that auto-renewal process, I know they make a ton more money because of it.

Anyway, I love to read the Athletic but that's too much money for what it is. $35/year promo was fine but $72 isn't. That's Amazon prime/Netflix territory.

I wrote them an email to cancel the payment, I won't be a subscriber anymore (for now at least).

Edit: Apparently when you cancel your subscription you don't get kicked out immediately and can enjoy the rest of your pre-paid time. I wish I knew that...so that's good to know if anyone here don't want a surprise on their credit card statement.
Yeah I was going to ask you that, so just to confirm I can cancel my subscription and I'll be able to read anything until my cutoff day, correct?

I got mine at 15 bucks and I wonder that if we wait until next Black Friday, we'll be able to subscribe again at that amount?

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Yeah I was going to ask you that, so just to confirm I can cancel my subscription and I'll be able to read anything until my cutoff day, correct?

Yes

I got mine at 15 bucks and I wonder that if we wait until next Black Friday, we'll be able to subscribe again at that amount?

No. They specifically say that you can't have another introductory promotion if you cancel and reactivate. You'd have to make another account with a different email and credit card.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Yeah, that’s correct. You’ll have access until the day you originally paid for.

A lot of these subscription sites hope to get you with the auto renewal. Hoping you either forgot or just don’t care enough to cancel. I cancelled my subscription the same day I signed up just so I wouldn’t forget and I’ll just re-subscribe when it expires.

Reactions: Balthazar

MonsterMack

He did the Mack, He did the monster Mack
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2013
Arvada, CO
I don't care much for Moser, but I'm not seeing anything annoying there, outside of the loser antagonizing him. Why would you follow Moser's twitter account if his last few tweets were enough to lead you to complain about him here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad