News Article: Colorado Avalanche Media Coverage Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Players will probably be happy they have more than five minutes or so before they have to answer questions after games. Especially the losses.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I get the griping but...is it that bad that we are robbed of the privilege of watching/listening/reading players answer the same softball questions every night?

I’ll be pretty crushed if they cancel the season, or play in front of empty arenas, but this doesn’t bother me.

Hockey players are typically the worst player interviews out there.

As long as they get to interview coaches in a formal setting after the game, that’s fine.

Reactions: Pokecheque

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I get the griping but...is it that bad that we are robbed of the privilege of watching/listening/reading players answer the same softball questions every night?
"Well, we worked hard and pulled together as a team and we're happy for the two points. We're just taking it one game at a time".

"Well, we had a lot of chances but we couldn't put them in the net and you don't win games if you can't do that. We just have to take it one game at a time and move on and hope to put a better effort together next time."

Copy and paste depending on if it's a win or a loss.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Ok so, I don't know if you guys find this interesting but IMO there was a good article about Jussi Parkkila in Iltasanomat. It was super long but I'll translate most of the article, try to bear with me. Translated parts are bolded. I'll also combine some comments to make it just a bit shorter. The whole article can be found from here (it's completely in Finnish): Tamperelainen Jussi, 42, paiski vuosia töitä paperitehtaan yövuorossa – lentää nyt yksityiskoneilla ja asuu viiden tähden hotelleissa NHL-tähtien kanssa

Tamperelainen Jussi, 42, paiski vuosia töitä paperitehtaan yövuorossa - lentää nyt yksityiskoneilla ja asuu viiden tehdän hotelleissa NHL-tähtien kanssa

Jussi 42 from Tampere worked night shifts for years in a paper factory - now he sits in private jets and lives in five star hotels with NHL stars

Ensimmäinen joukkue oli ikäluokkaa 1984. Olin sen mukana muutaman vuoden ja hyppäsin sitten pariksi vuodeksi Ilveksen B-junnuihin. Siitä sitten A-junnuihin. Siellä meni viisi vuotta. - - Se oli rankkaa aikaa. Kun valmensin Ilveksen A-junnuissa, kävi usein niin, että pääsin aamukuudelta yövuorosta, menin seitemältä nukkumaan, ja siitä kahdeksan jälkeen reilun tunnin yöunien jälkeen ylös. Yhdekseältä piti olla jo hallilla lähdössä pelireissulle. Päivä meni reissussa, sitten kotiin, eväät tekoon ja uudestaan yövuoroon. Ei se helppoa ollut. Mutta ei ollut vaihtoehtoja. Oli niin kova palo valmentaa.

"First team I coached with was players born in 1984. I was with them a couple of years and then started with Ilves B-juniors. From there I went to A-juniors and spend five years with them. - - It was rough time. While I was coaching with Ilves A-juniors, my night shift at the paper factory often ended at 6AM, I went to bed 7AM, then a little after 8AM I woke up and I was at the rink at 9AM and left for a game trip. Then spent the whole day at the game trip, then went home, made some food and went back to the night shift to the factory. It wasn't easy but I had no options as I wanted to coach so much."

Ilveksen A-junioreissa kaksi Parkkilan suojattia, Tuukka Rask ja Riku Helenius, varattiin NHL:ään ensimmäisellä kierroksella vuosina 2005 ja 2006. Parkkilan opissa oli myös myöhemmin KHL:n parhaaksi maalivahdiksi valittu Juha Metsola.

- Olin onnekas, että sain tehdä tuollaisten jätkien kanssa töitä silloin Ilveksessä.

From Ilves A-juniors two of Parkkila's "proteges", Tuukka Rask and Riku Helenius, were drafted to the NHL in the first rounds in 2005 and 2006. Parkkila also coached Juha Metsola, who has been later been selected as the best goalie in the KHL.

- I was lucky to be allowed to work with that kind of guys back then in Ilves.

(Then he basically says that back then almost no one had full time goalie coaches so it was a difficult situation as he really wanted to coach for full time. Talked with scouts and everyone and tried to build a network of connections. Even got in contact with Jarmo Kekäläinen and Jarmo allowed to use his name on Jussi's CV. Finally he got a job from Lethbridge Hurricanes for the 2007-2008 season. It wasn't like he was told and like he expected)

- Olin siellä kolme kuukuatta, kunnes yhtenä yönä puhelin soi. Siellä oli Kari Heikkilä Venäjältä. Hän antoi vuorokauden päättää, lähdenkö Jaroslaviin.

- I was there three months and suddenly the phone rang. Kari Heikkilä called from Russia. He gave me one day to decide if I wanted to leave to Jaroslav.

Jaroslavissa Parkkila sai suojatikseen 19-vuotiaan timantin Semyon Varlamovin. Siitä alkoi kaksikon pitkälle kantanut yhteistyö. Alussa haasteita riitti, sillä Varlamov ei puhunut englantia eikä Parkkila venäjää.

- Minun piti näyttä elekielellä. Se touhu oli varmaan aika koomisen näköistä. Välillä oli toki tulkkikin mukana, että viesti saatiin perille.

- Touhu Venäjällä oli sellaista tappelua. Heti alkuun toimitusjohtaja kutsui pelin jälkeen minut toimistaansa. Huusi naama punaisena ja näytti videolta, etä minkä helvetin takia Varlamov pelaa niin ja näin. Ei se englantia tietenkään englantia puhunut, vaan tulkki käänsi.

At Jaroslav Parkkila got to work with 19-year-old diamond Semyon Varlamov. There started the fruitful collaboration between the two. At the beginning it was very difficult, as Varlamov didn't speak English and Parkkila didn't speak Russian.

- I had to use expressive language. It must have looked so comical. Sometimes we had translator with us to make sure that messages went through.

- It was constant fighting in Russia. In the very beginning the CEO (or GM) wanted me to come to his office. His face was red as he was yelling and showed a video asking "why the hell is Varlamov playing like this". It's not like he was yelling in English, we had a translator in there.

(Their team made the finals that year and it brought him a full time job from Finnish team Tappara where he got to coach Harri Säteri. Varlamov liked Parkkila so much that he started to train with him during the summers at Tampere, Finland. He also brought his friend Bobrovsky to train with him and Parkkila. Parkkila went back to Russia and after a while he got to choose whether he coached in Atlant or Jaroslav. He chose Atlant and therefore avoided the Jaroslav plane crash in which 37 people died. His dream was to coach in the NHL but the gates for European coaches were (and somewhat are) closed. He got to be at Columbus training camp to see how things work there)

Parkkilaa merten taakse halusi Coloradoa edustanut Varlamov, joka oli yrittänyt saada luottovalmentajansa jo aiemmin NHL:ään. Lopulta keväällä 2017 hän sai järjestettyä Parkkilan työhaastatteluun, kun edelliskaudella koko NHL:n jumboksi romahtanut Avalanche kartoitti uutta molariluotsia. Avalanchen pomot haastattelivat useita kandidaatteja. Joukossa oli entisiä NHL-vahteja. Parkkila oli ainoa eurooppalainen.

- Jännitti aivan pirusti. Tiesin, että nyt ei saa vetää pieleen, sillä toista mahdollisuutta tuskin tulee.

- Siinä olivat Sakic, päävalmentaja Bednar ja apulais-GM, entinen maalivahti Craig Billington. He tenttasivat minua muutaman tunnin toimistossa Pepsi Centerissä.

- Haastattelusta tuli sellainen fiilis, ettei paremmin voinut mennä. - - Tiesin, että se on nyt vain siitä kiinni, uskaltavatko he tehdä normaalista poikkeava ratkaisun.

- Enhän minä voi sitä kiistää, että ilman "Varlaa" en olisi täällä. En olisi ikinä päässyt edes haastatteluun.

Parkkila was wanted to North-America by Varlamov, who had tried to get Parkkila to the NHL even before. Finally in the spring 2017 he got Parkkila a job interview when Avalanche was looking for a new goalie coach after a disastrous season. Bosses of the Avalanche interviewed multiple people to the job. There were ex NHL goalies after the job also. Parkkila was the only European who was interviewed.

- I was so nervous. I knew that I cannot screw up now as there most likely won't be a second chance.

- There were Sakic, head coach Bednar and assistant GM, ex goalie Craig Billington. They interviewed me for a couple of hours in an office room in Pepsi Center.

- I felt that I nailed it in the interview, it couldn't have gone better. - - I knew that it became to the question whether they dared to make an unusual choice. (to hire an European he means).

- I cannot deny the fact that without "Varla" I wouldn't be here. I never would had gotten that interview without him.

Heti Parkkilan avauskaudella Colorado eteni pudotuspeleihin ja sopimuksen optiovuosi käytettiin. Viime kaudella Coloradon nouseva käyrä vei jo pudotuspelien toiselle kierrokselle asti. Kesällä Varlamov lähti Islandersiin, ja suomalaisvalmentajan sopimus oli katkolla. Parkkila oli kuitenkin tehnyt vaikutuksen, ja Sakic halusi pitää miehen. Tähän kauteen Colorado lähti nimettömällä maalivahtikaksikolla, jonka muodostavat ensi kertaa NHL-uralla ykkösvahtiva kauteen lähtenyt Grubauer, 28, ja vain kaksi NHL-ottelua pelannut Francouz, 29.

In Parkkila's first season Colorado made the playoffs and his contract option year was used. Last season Colorado already made the second round of the playoffs. In the summer Varlamov left to Islanders and Parkkila's contract ended also. Parkkila had made an impression and Sakic wanted to keep him there. This season Colorado started with two pretty nameless goalies, Grubauer who has never started a season as a #1 goalie and Francouz, who had only played two NHL games.

- Olemme saaneet kehitettyä peliä molempien kanssa ja mikä tärkeintä, olemme samalla sivulla ja yhteistyö toimii. Molempien kanssa on muodostunut todella hyvä valmennussuhde, mistä tykkään. Äijien kanssa on tosi kiva tehdä töitä. Molemmat ovat vähän pienikokoisia, mikä tuo lisähaastetta. Välillä varsinkin alkukaudesta saattoi mennä 4-5 maalia, mutta olin nähnyt, että siellä on pohjalla paljon hyvää työtä. Nyt tulokset ovat alkaneet tukea sitä. Paketti on hyvin kasassa, vaikka edelleen on kehitettävää.

- We've been able to develop the game with both of the goalies and what's most important is that we're on the same page and the co-op is working. I have a very good coaching relationship with both of the goalies which I like really much. It's really nice to work with both of the guys. They're both on the smallish side which brings extra challenge. Especially in the early season they sometimes allowed 4-5 goals per game but the guys were working hard and had good basics and base to build on. Now the results are backing that up. It's working well even though there is a lot more training to do.

Jatkossa Parkkila saattaa päästä työskentelemään parhaillaan Kärpissä loistavan Justus Annusen, 19, kanssa. Hän on Coloradon varaus ja seuran suurin maalivahtilupaus.

- Tykkään Justuksesta paljon. Hänen varaansa on laskettu täällä paljon.

Parkkilalla oli näppinsä pelissä, kun Avalanche kuulutti Annusen nimen kesän 2018 kolmannella varauskierroksella.

- Selvitin hänestä silloin paljon tietoja ja katselin nauhoja. Kyse ei ollut siitä, että hänellä on Suomen passi. Siinä on tervepäinen kaveri, joka saa olla nyt Ari Hillin hyvässä valmennuksessa Kärpissä. Siellä on hyvä ympäristö kasvaa.

In the future Parkkila may get to work with Justus Annunen, who is currently having an outstanding season. He is Colorado's draft pick and the best goalie prospect of the organization.

- I like Justus a lot. They're expecting a lot from him in here and they're counting on him.

Parkkila had a lot of influence on the fact that Avalanche drafted Annunen on the third round of 2018 draft.

- I did a lot researching on the guy and looked videos about him. It wasn't because he has a Finnish passport. He is a level-headed fella who gets to work with Ari Hilli who is great goalie coach in Kärpät organization. It's a good environment to grow in. (If I have understood correctly, Hilli is a very very respected goalie coach in Finland).

Parkkila on ehtinyt kokea Coloradossa myös vaikeuksia. Viime talvena Avalanche kynti parin kuukauden ajan syvällä. Tappioita tuli toisensa perään, ja maalivahdit vuotivat kuin seula.

- Oli se aika rajua. Kun avasi television, sielläkin tuutattiin asiaa. Vaikka nimeäni ei siellä sanotakaan, totta kai se arvostelu osuu myös minuun.

Parkkila has also been through rough patches in Colorado. Last winter Avalanche had two really difficult months. Losses started piling up and goalies couldn't catch a beach ball.

- It was quite rough. When you opened the TV there was a lot of talking about it. Even though my name wasn't mentioned, of course I'm also to blame.

- Katson aina pelit ja teen niistä videoklipit. Käyn kaikki muutamaan kertaan läpi. Katson, mitä haluan näyttää veskareille. Grubauerille ei tarvitse näyttää niin paljon, kun takana on yhteistä historiaa. Riippuu aina paljon tyypistäkin. Joku haluaa nähdä vähemmän, joku toinen taas kaiken.

- Kun pääsen pelin jälkeen kotiin tai hyppäämme lentokoneeseen, alan kelata tilanteita pelistä. Minulla on sellainen tapa, etten mene nukkumaan ennen kuin olen saanut illan pelin puretuksi. Haluan, että se on heti aamulla valmiina. Esimerkiksi Francouz on sellainen, että heti hallille päästyään hän ilmestyy valmentajien huoneen ovelle, sanoo huomenta ja kysyy, mennäänkö katsomaan videoita. Minulla pitää olla ne valmiina.

- I always watch the games and make video clips out of those. I go through everything multiple times. I watch and decide what I want to show to the goalies. I don't have to show that much to Grubauer as we already have history between each other. Some goalies want to see less, some want to see it all.

- When I get to home or hop on a plane after the game, I will start to go through the situations in the game. I won't go to sleep before I have gone through the game and have all the material I want ready. I want everything to be ready in the morning. For example Francouz instantly comes knocking to coaches door in the morning when he arrives at the rink, says good morning and asks to see the videos. I have to have those ready.

Parkkilan tehtäviin kuuluu myös vastustajan maalivahdin skouttaaminen ennen jokaista peliä.

- Käyn toisen apuvalmentajan kanssa ennen peliä läpi vastustajan veskarin. Olen kerännyt videoita pelaamisesta, esimerkiksi rankkareista. Hän tekee sitten niistä muistiinpanot itselleen.

Part of Parkkila's job is to scout the opponents goalies before each game.

- With the other assistant coach we talk about the opponent goalie. I have collected video clips of opponents goalies, for example how they play in shootout situations. Assistant coach makes notes of my observations.

- Alkuun olin lehdistökatsomossa, mutta sitten sain ilmeisesti jonkinlaista luottamusta. Siitä lähtien olen ollut Sakicin kanssa aitiossa. Vierasreissuillakin Sakic yleensä haluaa, että olen hänen vieressään istumassa.

Välillä kaksikon rinnalla on myös Avalanchen apulais-GM.

- Ei siellä paskaa jauheta. Jos menee huonosti, kyllä minullekin tulee jo pelin aikana aika suoraa palautetta. Ei Sakic liikaa lähde selkään taputtelemaan, vaikka hyvin menisikin.

- Tykkään Sakicista pomona. Hänen kanssaan on helppo mennä keskustelemaan. Meillä on hyvä suhde ja tulemme tosi hyvin juttuun.

- In the beginning I was sitting with media personnel but after a while I guess I got trusted more. Since then I have been sitting next to Sakic (watching the games). Even when we're out of Denver, Sakic usually wants me to sit next to him.

Sometimes also the Avalanches assistant GM sits with the duo.

- We don't talk sh** there. If we're doing badly, I might get very straight feedback even during the game. Sakic won't easily tap your back, even if things are going well.

- I like Sakic as a boss. It's easy to go and have a conversation with him. We have a good relationship and get along really well.

- Välillä havahdun todellisuudeen. Tulee hieno fiilis, että täällä sitä ollaan ja pyöritään tällaisten äijien kanssa. Sellainen hyvällä tavalla kiva fiilis, että on jotain saavuttanut, kun on päässyt tänne.

- Olihan se kontrasti varsinkin alkuun melkoinen, kun katsoin, että ei jumalauta, vierässä on Joe Sakic. Ja hei, mää oon Takon duunari Hervannasta!

- Sometimes the reality hits me. I get an amazing feeling about the fact that here I am, surrounded by the guys. The kind of great feeling that I have achieved something by getting here.

- The contrast was huge in the beginning when I watched that god damn, it's Joe Sakic next to me. And I'm a working class guy from Hervanta (part of Tampere that doesn't have a great reputation).

The end.

Last edited:

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers

Avs players when they find out Dater isn't allowed in the locker room anymore

source.gif

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Ok so, I don't know if you guys find this interesting but IMO there was a good article about Jussi Parkkila in Iltasanomat. It was super long but I'll translate most of the article, try to bear with me. Translated parts are bolded. I'll also combine some comments to make it just a bit shorter. The whole article can be found from here (it's completely in Finnish): Tamperelainen Jussi, 42, paiski vuosia töitä paperitehtaan yövuorossa – lentää nyt yksityiskoneilla ja asuu viiden tähden hotelleissa NHL-tähtien kanssa

Tamperelainen Jussi, 42, paiski vuosia töitä paperitehtaan yövuorossa - lentää nyt yksityiskoneilla ja asuu viiden tehdän hotelleissa NHL-tähtien kanssa

Jussi 42 from Tampere worked night shifts for years in a paper factory - now he sits in private jets and lives in five star hotels with NHL stars

Ensimmäinen joukkue oli ikäluokkaa 1984. Olin sen mukana muutaman vuoden ja hyppäsin sitten pariksi vuodeksi Ilveksen B-junnuihin. Siitä sitten A-junnuihin. Siellä meni viisi vuotta. - - Se oli rankkaa aikaa. Kun valmensin Ilveksen A-junnuissa, kävi usein niin, että pääsin aamukuudelta yövuorosta, menin seitemältä nukkumaan, ja siitä kahdeksan jälkeen reilun tunnin yöunien jälkeen ylös. Yhdekseältä piti olla jo hallilla lähdössä pelireissulle. Päivä meni reissussa, sitten kotiin, eväät tekoon ja uudestaan yövuoroon. Ei se helppoa ollut. Mutta ei ollut vaihtoehtoja. Oli niin kova palo valmentaa.

"First team I coached with was players born in 1984. I was with them a couple of years and then started with Ilves B-juniors. From there I went to A-juniors and spend five years with them. - - It was rough time. While I was coaching with Ilves A-juniors, my night shift at the paper factory often ended at 6AM, I went to bed 7AM, then a little after 8AM I woke up and I was at the rink at 9AM and left for a game trip. Then spent the whole day at the game trip, then went home, made some food and went back to the night shift to the factory. It wasn't easy but I had no options as I wanted to coach so much."

Ilveksen A-junioreissa kaksi Parkkilan suojattia, Tuukka Rask ja Riku Helenius, varattiin NHL:ään ensimmäisellä kierroksella vuosina 2005 ja 2006. Parkkilan opissa oli myös myöhemmin KHL:n parhaaksi maalivahdiksi valittu Juha Metsola.

- Olin onnekas, että sain tehdä tuollaisten jätkien kanssa töitä silloin Ilveksessä.

From Ilves A-juniors two of Parkkila's "proteges", Tuukka Rask and Riku Helenius, were drafted to the NHL in the first rounds in 2005 and 2006. Parkkila also coached Juha Metsola, who has been later been selected as the best goalie in the KHL.

(Then he basically says that back then almost no one had full time goalie coaches so it was a difficult situation as he really wanted to coach for full time. Talked with scouts and everyone and tried to build a network of connections. Even got in contact with Jarmo Kekäläinen and Jarmo allowed to use his name on Jussi's CV. Finally he got a job from Lethbridge Hurricanes for the 2007-2008 season. It wasn't like he was told and like he expected)

- Olin siellä kolme kuukuatta, kunnes yhtenä yönä puhelin soi. Siellä oli Kari Heikkilä Venäjältä. Hän antoi vuorokauden päättää, lähdenkö Jaroslaviin.

- I was there three months and suddenly the phone rang. Kari Heikkilä called from Russia. He gave me one day to decide if I wanted to leave to Jaroslav.

Jaroslavissa Parkkila sai suojatikseen 19-vuotiaan timantin Semyon Varlamovin. Siitä alkoi kaksikon pitkälle kantanut yhteistyö. Alussa haasteita riitti, sillä Varlamov ei puhunut englantia eikä Parkkila venäjää.

- Minun piti näyttä elekielellä. Se touhu oli varmaan aika koomisen näköistä. Välillä oli toki tulkkikin mukana, että viesti saatiin perille.

- Touhu Venäjällä oli sellaista tappelua. Heti alkuun toimitusjohtaja kutsui pelin jälkeen minut toimistaansa. Huusi naama punaisena ja näytti videolta, etä minkä helvetin takia Varlamov pelaa niin ja näin. Ei se englantia tietenkään englantia puhunut, vaan tulkki käänsi.

At Jaroslav Parkkila got to work with 19-year-old diamond Semyon Varlamov. There started the fruitful collaboration between the two. At the beginning it was very difficult, as Varlamov didn't speak English and Parkkila didn't speak Russian.

- I had to use expressive language. It must have looked so comical. Sometimes we had translator with us to make sure that messages went through.

- It was constant fighting in Russia. In the very beginning the CEO (or GM) wanted me to come to his office. His face was red as he was yelling and showed a video asking "why the hell is Varlamov playing like this". It's not like he was yelling in English, we had a translator in there.

(Their team made the finals that year and it brought him a full time job from Finnish team Tappara where he got to coach Harri Säteri. Varlamov liked Parkkila so much that he started to train with him during the summers at Tampere, Finland. He also brought his friend Bobrovsky to train with him and Parkkila. Parkkila went back to Russia and after a while he got to choose whether he coached in Atlant or Jaroslav. He chose Atlant and therefore avoided the Jaroslav plane crash in which 37 people died. His dream was to coach in the NHL but the gates for European coaches were (and somewhat are) closed. He got to be at Columbus training camp to see how things work there)

Parkkilaa merten taakse halusi Coloradoa edustanut Varlamov, joka oli yrittänyt saada luottovalmentajansa jo aiemmin NHL:ään. Lopulta keväällä 2017 hän sai järjestettyä Parkkilan työhaastatteluun, kun edelliskaudella koko NHL:n jumboksi romahtanut Avalanche kartoitti uutta molariluotsia. Avalanchen pomot haastattelivat useita kandidaatteja. Joukossa oli entisiä NHL-vahteja. Parkkila oli ainoa eurooppalainen.

- Jännitti aivan pirusti. Tiesin, että nyt ei saa vetää pieleen, sillä toista mahdollisuutta tuskin tulee.

- Siinä olivat Sakic, päävalmentaja Bednar ja apulais-GM, entinen maalivahti Craig Billington. He tenttasivat minua muutaman tunnin toimistossa Pepsi Centerissä.

- Haastattelusta tuli sellainen fiilis, ettei paremmin voinut mennä. - - Tiesin, että se on nyt vain siitä kiinni, uskaltavatko he tehdä normaalista poikkeava ratkaisun.

- Enhän minä voi sitä kiistää, että ilman "Varlaa" en olisi täällä. En olisi ikinä päässyt edes haastatteluun.

Parkkila was wanted to North-America by Varlamov, who had tried to get Parkkila to the NHL even before. Finally in the spring 2017 he got Parkkila a job interview when Avalanche was looking for a new goalie coach after a disastrous season. Bosses of the Avalanche interviewed multiple people to the job. There were ex NHL goalies after the job also. Parkkila was the only European who was interviewed.

- I was so nervous. I knew that I cannot screw up now as there most likely won't be a second chance.

- There were Sakic, head coach Bednar and assistant GM, ex goalie Craig Billington. They interviewed me for a couple of hours in an office room in Pepsi Center.

- I felt that I nailed it in the interview, it couldn't have gone better. - - I knew that it became to the question whether they dared to make an unusual choice. (to hire an European he means).

- I cannot deny the fact that without "Varla" I wouldn't be here. I never would had gotten that interview without him.

Heti Parkkilan avauskaudella Colorado eteni pudotuspeleihin ja sopimuksen optiovuosi käytettiin. Viime kaudella Coloradon nouseva käyrä vei jo pudotuspelien toiselle kierrokselle asti. Kesällä Varlamov lähti Islandersiin, ja suomalaisvalmentajan sopimus oli katkolla. Parkkila oli kuitenkin tehnyt vaikutuksen, ja Sakic halusi pitää miehen. Tähän kauteen Colorado lähti nimettömällä maalivahtikaksikolla, jonka muodostavat ensi kertaa NHL-uralla ykkösvahtiva kauteen lähtenyt Grubauer, 28, ja vain kaksi NHL-ottelua pelannut Francouz, 29.

In Parkkila's first season Colorado made the playoffs and his contract option year was used. Last season Colorado already made the second round of the playoffs. In the summer Varlamov left to Islanders and Parkkila's contract ended also. Parkkila had made an impression and Sakic wanted to keep him there. This season Colorado started with two pretty nameless goalies, Grubauer who has never started a season as a #1 goalie and Francouz, who had only played two NHL games.

- Olemme saaneet kehitettyä peliä molempien kanssa ja mikä tärkeintä, olemme samalla sivulla ja yhteistyö toimii. Molempien kanssa on muodostunut todella hyvä valmennussuhde, mistä tykkään. Äijien kanssa on tosi kiva tehdä töitä. Molemmat ovat vähän pienikokoisia, mikä tuo lisähaastetta. Välillä varsinkin alkukaudesta saattoi mennä 4-5 maalia, mutta olin nähnyt, että siellä on pohjalla paljon hyvää työtä. Nyt tulokset ovat alkaneet tukea sitä. Paketti on hyvin kasassa, vaikka edelleen on kehitettävää.

- We've been able to develop the game with both of the goalies and what's most important is that we're on the same page and the co-op is working. I have a very good coaching relationship with both of the goalies which I like really much. It's really nice to work with both of the guys. They're both on the smallish side which brings extra challenge. Especially in the early season they sometimes allowed 4-5 goals per game but the guys were working hard and had good basics and base to build on. Now the results are backing that up. It's working well even though there is a lot more training to do.

Jatkossa Parkkila saattaa päästä työskentelemään parhaillaan Kärpissä loistavan Justus Annusen, 19, kanssa. Hän on Coloradon varaus ja seuran suurin maalivahtilupaus.

Parkkilalla oli näppinsä pelissä, kun Avalanche kuulutti Annusen nimen kesän 2018 kolmannella varauskierroksella.

- Selvitin hänestä silloin paljon tietoja ja katselin nauhoja. Kyse ei ollut siitä, että hänellä on Suomen passi. Siinä on tervepäinen kaveri, joka saa olla nyt Ari Hillin hyvässä valmennuksessa Kärpissä. Siellä on hyvä ympäristö kasvaa.

In the future Parkkila may get to work with Justus Annunen, who is currently having an outstanding season. He is Colorado's draft pick and the best goalie prospect of the organization.

- I like Justus a lot. They're expecting a lot from him in here and they're counting on him.

Parkkila had a lot of influence on the fact that Avalanche drafted Annunen on the third round of 2018 draft.

- I did a lot researching on the guy and looked videos about him. It wasn't because he has a Finnish passport. He is a level-headed fella who gets to work with Ari Hilli who is great goalie coach in Kärpät organization. It's a good environment to grow in. (If I have understood correctly, Hilli is a very very respected goalie coach in Finland).

Parkkila on ehtinyt kokea Coloradossa myös vaikeuksia. Viime talvena Avalanche kynti parin kuukauden ajan syvällä. Tappioita tuli toisensa perään, ja maalivahdit vuotivat kuin seula.

- Oli se aika rajua. Kun avasi television, sielläkin tuutattiin asiaa. Vaikka nimeäni ei siellä sanotakaan, totta kai se arvostelu osuu myös minuun.

Parkkila has also been through rough patches in Colorado. Last winter Avalanche had two really difficult months. Losses started piling up and goalies couldn't catch a beach ball.

- It was quite rough. When you opened the TV there was a lot of talking about it. Even though my name wasn't mentioned, of course I'm also to blame.

- Katson aina pelit ja teen niistä videoklipit. Käyn kaikki muutamaan kertaan läpi. Katson, mitä haluan näyttää veskareille. Grubauerille ei tarvitse näyttää niin paljon, kun takana on yhteistä historiaa. Riippuu aina paljon tyypistäkin. Joku haluaa nähdä vähemmän, joku toinen taas kaiken.

- Kun pääsen pelin jälkeen kotiin tai hyppäämme lentokoneeseen, alan kelata tilanteita pelistä. Minulla on sellainen tapa, etten mene nukkumaan ennen kuin olen saanut illan pelin puretuksi. Haluan, että se on heti aamulla valmiina. Esimerkiksi Francouz on sellainen, että heti hallille päästyään hän ilmestyy valmentajien huoneen ovelle, sanoo huomenta ja kysyy, mennäänkö katsomaan videoita. Minulla pitää olla ne valmiina.

- I always watch the games and make video clips out of those. I go through everything multiple times. I watch and decide what I want to show to the goalies. I don't have to show that much to Grubauer as we already have history between each other. Some goalies want to see less, some want to see it all.

- When I get to home or hop on a plane after the game, I will start to go through the situations in the game. I won't go to sleep before I have gone through the game and have all the material I want ready. I want everything to be ready in the morning. For example Francouz instantly comes knocking to coaches door in the morning when he arrives at the rink, says good morning and asks to see the videos. I have to have those ready.

Parkkilan tehtäviin kuuluu myös vastustajan maalivahdin skouttaaminen ennen jokaista peliä.

- Käyn toisen apuvalmentajan kanssa ennen peliä läpi vastustajan veskarin. Olen kerännyt videoita pelaamisesta, esimerkiksi rankkareista. Hän tekee sitten niistä muistiinpanot itselleen.

- With the other assistant coach we talk about the opponent goalie. I have collected video clips of opponents goalies, for example how they play in shootout situations. Assistant coach makes notes of my observations.

- Alkuun olin lehdistökatsomossa, mutta sitten sain ilmeisesti jonkinlaista luottamusta. Siitä lähtien olen ollut Sakicin kanssa aitiossa. Vierasreissuillakin Sakic yleensä haluaa, että olen hänen vieressään istumassa.

- Ei siellä paskaa jauheta. Jos menee huonosti, kyllä minullekin tulee jo pelin aikana aika suoraa palautetta. Ei Sakic liikaa lähde selkään taputtelemaan, vaikka hyvin menisikin.

- Tykkään Sakicista pomona. Hänen kanssaan on helppo mennä keskustelemaan. Meillä on hyvä suhde ja tulemme tosi hyvin juttuun.

- In the beginning I was sitting with media personnel but after a while I guess I got trusted more. Since then I have been sitting next to Sakic (watching the games). Even when we're out of Denver, Sakic usually wants me to sit next to him.

- We don't talk sh** there. If we're doing badly, I might get very straight feedback even during the game. Sakic won't easily tap your back, even if things are going well.

- I like Sakic as a boss. It's easy to go and have a conversation with him. We have a good relationship and get along really well.

- Välillä havahdun todellisuudeen. Tulee hieno fiilis, että täällä sitä ollaan ja pyöritään tällaisten äijien kanssa. Sellainen hyvällä tavalla kiva fiilis, että on jotain saavuttanut, kun on päässyt tänne.

- Olihan se kontrasti varsinkin alkuun melkoinen, kun katsoin, että ei jumalauta, vierässä on Joe Sakic. Ja hei, mää oon Takon duunari Hervannasta!

- Sometimes the reality hits me. I get an amazing feeling about the fact that here I am, surrounded by the guys. The kind of great feeling that I have achieved something by getting here.

- The contrast was huge in the beginning when I watched that god damn, it's Joe Sakic next to me. And I'm a working class guy from Hervanta (part of Tampere that doesn't have a great reputation).

The end.

That is just awesome. Thank you

Reactions: Murzu

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

The end.

Thanks for this.

Reactions: Murzu

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
DNVR is opening a sports bar on Colfax and York on Friday. Kind of awful timing with the coronavirus looming.
There's already a sports bar there, they probably bought it? Outside of the virus thing it's a good idea IMO. That's probably where they'll record their podcasts and stuff. Great promotion tool going both ways.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Thanks for sharing this. Great to hear from Jussi as we basically never hear him talk.

I found the above passage interesting. I may be reading into it too much, but it's hard not to draw a parallel between Grubauer sounding like he doesn't want to see many clips of himself (potentially the bad ones) with his reluctance to take blame after bad losses.

If he can maintain a high level of play than it's no big deal, but if he struggles again in the future, he might want to reconsider this mindset, as my hunch is that maybe he's overly concerned with negative thoughts creeping into his mind.

Reactions: avspatti

Babel Salamander

Oct 9, 2017
There's already a sports bar there, they probably bought it? Outside of the virus thing it's a good idea IMO. That's probably where they'll record their podcasts and stuff. Great promotion tool going both ways.

I think it's a great idea aside from the timing of the launch (which they have no control over). And yeah they will do podcasts from there and they are apparently planning post game shows, lots of watch parties and what not.... which all sounds really cool. I hope the coronavirus panic doesn't hurt their first few months too much.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
To me that’s a very weird business decision. Diluting efforts and ressources in two very different ventures.

Not at all. DNVR can promote their sports bar and their bar can promote DNVR. Cashing on watch parties and stuff. I'm glad they find alternative ways to make money because I didn't see the subscription model working long term for them.

Also assuming that they move all their business there they save on rent. It's a great business decision.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Not at all. DNVR can promote their sports bar and their bar can promote DNVR. Cashing on watch parties and stuff. I'm glad they find alternative ways to make money because I didn't see the subscription model working long term for them.

Also assuming that they move all their business there they save on rent. It's a great business decision.
I hope they know how to run a bar. It’s not the same as a media unit. That bar investment is money they are not using to grow the media operations. There is opportunity cost there. If your 1st business is not making money and your are thin on cash, diversifying does not sound too hot to me. I whish them good luck.

Babel Salamander

Oct 9, 2017
I hope they know how to run a bar. It’s not the same as a media unit. That bar investment is money they are not using to grow the media operations. There is opportunity cost there. If your 1st business is not making money and your are thin on cash, diversifying does not sound too hot to me. I whish them good luck.

I'm sure they've hired people who know how to run a bar. I mean I don't think you are going to see AJ and Adam Mares serving drinks there. They seem to be wanting to create a community and seems pretty cool to have a home base where fans can watch games and interact with the media folks who will presumably be hanging around. Still this timing could be pretty bad for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->