Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
So to recap from the last thread

- The chiclets guys are drugged up morons with fake boston accents
- AJ Heafle is the worst thing that ever happened to the Colorado Avalanche
- Cable companies dropped Altitude because Lauren Gardner left
- The national anthem is a fascist practice

Seeing it in this light... I'm suddenly on their side.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
@RockLobster
DNVR is in a tough industry. They have to gain eyeballs. And he has opinions on players/teams just like everyone else does. It’s rather disheartening to see some people go to the personal insult stage(s) just based off of his opinions on hockey. I don’t view them any better or worse than some people who post here.
As bad as Dater is, him leaving BSN really hurt everyone involved, I think. At least he used to be nationally recognized as a beat writer. He did spots and stuff sometimes so I think people would've recognized DNVR as "the other outlet". Now neither is really a legitimate media member. I don't think I've ever heard anyone mention Haefele in any context. But BSN was doing okay for a little bit...

Reactions: Cousin Eddie

Boulder Avalanche

Pull the Goalie
Apr 9, 2013
If you want excellent sports coverage you get a subscription to the Athletic. In an environment over saturated with content, it is hard for an outlet like DNVR to establish themselves. Unless they get an excellent beat writer for each team they stand no chance, which is a shame since the state’s major newspaper is pretty awful.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
If you want excellent sports coverage you get a subscription to the Athletic. In an environment over saturated with content, it is hard for an outlet like DNVR to establish themselves. Unless they get an excellent beat writer for each team they stand no chance, which is a shame since the state’s major newspaper is pretty awful.

Yeah unfortunately that's true. Clark is the only good option right now, but he doesn't seem to have many legit inside sources.

We used to have two fairly decent sources of coverage from the Post and RMN. Now we basically only have Clark for beat coverage and stories, and Dater for the occasional inside info. Though he's hurt his reputation recently. Sadowski just kind of goes through the motions at HockeyBuzz and Chambers was never good, but now he just doesn't even try since his employer doesn't care about hockey.

Everyone else is just glorified bloggers, and that's the quality you tend to get. Ripe with hyperbole and twitter feuds.

Reactions: MarkT

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
If the biggest (only?) complaint about Clark is that his twitter feed has too many jokes and/or gifs then he's clearly doing something right. I choose to judge him based on the quality of his writing and reporting and he's doing a pretty good job there. Plus, jokes and gifs are better than petty squabbles and insults directed at colleagues.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Yeah I’ll definitely take Clark’s non-hockey references during games over Dater being a period delayed, Chambers talking about college or AJ being wrong every day of the week.

Reactions: MarkT

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
My problem with the Athletic is, as an Avs fan, outside of Clark you're screwed. No one else there even knows there's an NHL team in Colorado. Clark is very very good at his in-depth character pieces he writes once a month (which I can read with their 3 free articles a month) but outside of that what is there? Generic coach/player quotes I can pull up myself on nhl.com and random ass gifs he posts during games.

Unless I missed it, the one time Clark ventured to throw a trade rumor out there was last summer with Ferland and that turned out to be a big dud.

I get a lot of people here don't like BSN, Dater and Chambers are just a joke, but I really don't think Clark is anything special either.

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
I don't have any problem whatsoever with Clark's Twitter feed, and while AJ got burned because of a mixup with Graves and the Avs' PR department, I don't think that's a big deal either. It happens. Chambers is honestly the only guy who has bothered me who covers the Avs regularly, and I've made my feelings known on Kiz, who just kinda swoops in with his hot takes when he feels like it.

Reactions: The Merchant

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
@RockLobster

As bad as Dater is, him leaving BSN really hurt everyone involved, I think. At least he used to be nationally recognized as a beat writer. He did spots and stuff sometimes so I think people would've recognized DNVR as "the other outlet". Now neither is really a legitimate media member. I don't think I've ever heard anyone mention Haefele in any context. But BSN was doing okay for a little bit...

Dater is directly responsible for the large majority of Avs fans who subbed to BSN during their first year, no doubt about that. I don't know what really happened when he left but they owed him for sure.

Reactions: shadow1

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I don't have any problem whatsoever with Clark's Twitter feed

During the games I surely do. My Twitter feed is only related to hockey, if I read it during the games usually it's because I can't watch it so I want to know what's going on. I don't want to know how many goals Grubauer gave to players named Alexander in the 3rd.

If I wanted old memes I'd have subbed to 9gag and when I want useless facts/rants I unmute McNab.

People were comparing Clark to Portzline and Russo. We're not there yet.

Last edited:

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
During the games I surely do. My Twitter feed is only related to hockey, if I read it during the games usually it's because I can't watch it so I want to know what's going on. I don't want to know how many goals Grubauer gave to players named Alexander in the 3rd.

If I wanted old memes I'd have subbed to 9gag and when I want useless facts/rants I unmute McNab.

Again, I don't see the issue but then again my mind wanders frequently so...

oxenfree

Jun 20, 2019

People were comparing Clark to Portzline and Russo. We're not there yet.

OK Boomer.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Naw...Clark is no Portzline. IMHO Aaron is the best journalist covering an NHL beat today. He is the bar. Russo is in the next tier down but still very good at what he does. It would be an absolute pleasure to have either of those guys covering the Avs. For me, guys like Richards and Clark are good journalists and appear to be really cool dudes as well. Richards ranks slightly above Clark though due to his longevity covering the sport and the Panthers in general. Given time, I can see Clark being equally as good.

All of these guys are professionals though and that is what sets them so far above AJ, Dater and Chambers. Chambers is just...yeah, whatever. Dater and AJ are too immature with the way they handle social media for me to follow them for more than a week or so a season without having to unfollow them again. The petty bickering makes a large part of what they do about themselves and not about who they are covering.

Reactions: The Merchant

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
Yeah, Russo, Portzline, and Mirtle are the gold standard for me, and a big reason why I subscribed to The Athletic long before they set up shop in Denver. They added people like Bourne, Richards, Civian, Stephens, and Staples, and of course nailed it when they hired Clark. I don't really want to say if he's as good as those others, I just love the fact that a guy as good as he is (and as well-liked by his colleagues) is covering my favorite team.

I'll never forgive Chambers for that inane, asinine article blasting the Avs for moving on from Francois Beauchemin. That was Simmons-level bad right there. And somehow, Kiz is even worse.

I'll admit the online back-and-forth between Dater and AJ is ridiculous. I like the way both of them write though.

Nice that DNVR snagged both Rudo and TMV. Speaking of which, when is the latter gonna show up on a podcast?

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Moving this on the right board:
Vic Lombardi addressed this on the Moser, Lombardi, & Kane show this morning on Altitude 92.5FM. Apparently, people were complaining about the game being an infomercial (this was said on this forum a number of times). He basically said that getting the game last night broadcast locally on channel 20 was paid for by Altitude themselves, so they had to get their message out there as much as possible to reach those fans who were on Comcast/Dish as this was their one opportunity to do so.

So hopefully that means we won't have a repeat of that **** again. I mean, this whole season they've been harping on about it on their broadcast, but last night was extra-specially obnoxious.

It's a huge joke that they admit to use an NHL broadcast as an infomercial.

Reactions: Foppa2118

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
I had to mute Altitude during the last period yesterday. We have eight goals after two periods and ALL they freaking talk about is Comcast and Dish, and airs interviews with fans, obviously only the ones who has taken their side 100%.

Comcast executives probably looks at that game and then wants nothing to do with that network anymore.

Babel Salamander

Oct 9, 2017
They did the exact same thing with the Nuggets game they aired earlier. At least they had the interview with the KSE exec during the intermission... it was actually during the game for the Nuggets game. It got out before they aired that Nuggets game that they were purchasing the airtime, and it was expected it would be used as a telethon, so it shouldn't have been a surprise to anyone. There's no way not to make a telethon annoying.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I had to mute Altitude during the last period yesterday. We have eight goals after two periods and ALL they freaking talk about is Comcast and Dish, and airs interviews with fans, obviously only the ones who has taken their side 100%.

Comcast executives probably looks at that game and then wants nothing to do with that network anymore.

The way altitude has handled themselves throughout this whole ordeal is super embarrassing.

wayninja

Bednar's Tailor
Mar 24, 2017
As much as I cringed during almost all of it, I wasn't in the least bit surprised. They didn't purchase local airtime out of the goodness of their hearts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->