News Article: Colorado Avalanche Media Coverage Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
No doubt about the DNVR podcast. In my opinion it's the best Avs podcast/content (with Clark for the Athletic). AJ knows what he's talking about as well.
Yeah I really like Clark, I know a lot of people hate his twitter feed, but I find him really entertaining as well as a great balanced writer. I'm wondering if down the line The Athletic is going to push for podcasts in all markets, because I believe they've already started launching a few.

I'm super grateful for BSN as they crank out a ton of quality content after years of jack shit, (daily podcasts is insane) so I'll keep subbing to both them and the Athletic as long as they're around.

Right now my regular listens are
BSN
31 Thoughts
Hockey Central as background while I play video games.

I check in on spittin chicklets when the guests interest me, but I can only take so much of their schtick. I tried to listen to the Dreger and Ferraro podcast but I really can't stand either of them. I miss the Bobcast that was always a fun listen.

Reactions: ETTHAKING67

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I miss the Bobcast too. I still haven't sat down to listen to BR/TOOA for a while now, but Rudo shows up on that one a lot too.

The Locked On Avs pod is nice since it's a quick 30 minute listen.

Haven't sat down to listen to the Avs Hockey Podcast with the guys who created #AvsTwitterPsychic.

Reactions: S3rkie

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
Dater is an incredible writer, Blood Feud is an incredible book. Reporting less so, I think he runs with stuff he doesn’t have concrete proof of and tries to be the first to the punch to a fault. On the flip side he also seems to somehow not put enough effort in and misses stuff that he shouldn’t. Doesn’t seem like a bad guy, but I think he needs to put a little more effort in and he’d be much more successful.
I just think the guys burnt he doesn't have the passion anymore to keep grinding in such an exhaustive industry. It would be one thing if he was still at the post in chambers spot, but he's asking people to pay directly for his low effort attempts just because of his name and he's been doing it forever.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Yeah I really like Clark, I know a lot of people hate his twitter feed, but I find him really entertaining as well as a great balanced writer. I'm wondering if down the line The Athletic is going to push for podcasts in all markets, because I believe they've already started launching a few.

I'm super grateful for BSN as they crank out a ton of quality content after years of jack shit, (daily podcasts is insane) so I'll keep subbing to both them and the Athletic as long as they're around.

Right now my regular listens are
BSN
31 Thoughts
Hockey Central as background while I play video games.

I check in on spittin chicklets when the guests interest me, but I can only take so much of their schtick. I tried to listen to the Dreger and Ferraro podcast but I really can't stand either of them. I miss the Bobcast that was always a fun listen.
I listen to Puck Soup and subscribe to their Patreon. Love that one. ESPN on Ice is the boring version of that podcast. Personally, I don't need to listen to an Avs podcast. I've never done that regularly out of any of the options that we've had over time.

With Spittin Chiclets, I'll listen if I'm in the correct mood. Which is still at least a part of most episodes, but I regularly skip episodes.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I don't think they've ever touched on it publicly, but speculating as a pod listener and just what both parties did afterwards, I think Dater probably felt he brought in quite a bit of new/different subs age/demo wise when he joined. Maybe he asked for a raise/wasn't happy with the pay or maybe BSN just cut costs because I think some other sports lost writers at the same time if I remember correctly. But regardless of the catalyst he obviously thought he could do a better job out on his own with his own site/company.

They have been mostly amiable, Dater has taken a few pot shots at AJ and BSN on twitter and they've responded appropriately imo, but other than that not much is known unless I've missed something.

I will say I think Rudo is way better on the POD than Jesse or Dater so thats been a win. I tried to listen to the Can't hear what Jeremy is saying pod (brutal name) and it was way too much rambling bumbles for me. Zero structure and pace to it, it feels like a press record and talk and what you get is what you get type of thing. BSN could still use some higher end production by all means but they are miles ahead of Dater in that arena.
I've 0 proof of what I'm going to say but I followed the first year of BSN pretty closely (I was a subscriber and was listening every single podcast, etc).

Dater sold a lot of BSN subscriptions. He single-handedly put BSN and AJ on the map for Avs fans, he took BSN very seriously and worked pretty damn hard for them. Being an older guy with a professional experience covering a team working with mostly kids who don't have any experience was probably not an easy task and he felt like he had to show them how to do it.

He got really mad when Chambers called them "internet people watching the team on TV"....Dater wanted to be a legit media, BSN worked on accreditation and Dater insisted that they have to travel with the team to be taken seriously. Him and AJ were splitting road games and were living on a very small budget on the road.

Then after the hockey season something happened...Dater left BSN (the reason given was they weren't going in the same direction) and at the same time BSN stopped going on the road.

First thing Dater did with his own site was making sure that he'd follow the team on the road, for him it's very important.

So in conclusion, I think that BSN told him that they'd no longer go on the road and Dater got mad, said it wasn't serious or professional and left mainly because of it.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I miss the Bobcast too.
Outside of the draft podcast I thought it was really bad if you expect hockey talk.

Stories about old pals, music, fishing, reading emails and all kinds of OT stuff. You could tell that he's tired of covering hockey and wants to do something else.

Bob should retire and do whatever he wants.

Reactions: UncleRisto

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Outside of the draft podcast I thought it was really bad if you expect hockey talk.

Stories about old pals, music, fishing, reading emails and all kinds of OT stuff. You could tell that he's tired of covering hockey and wants to do something else.

Bob should retire and do whatever he wants.

*Shrug* He made no apologies for talking about whatever the hell he wanted to talk about. I find him to be very affable and entertaining so even if he was just squawking about life in general I still listened. It eventually made its way to hockey and listener questions.

Totally unrelated: It's a lot easier for me to listen to podcasts in the summer when I have to go and mow the lawn or work in the garden. Winter chores don't generally allow me to tune out the outside world like that, and it hasn't snowed nearly enough this year for me break out the snowblower more than a couple times.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
*Shrug* He made no apologies for talking about whatever the hell he wanted to talk about. I find him to be very affable and entertaining so even if he was just squawking about life in general I still listened. It eventually made its way to hockey and listener questions.

Totally unrelated: It's a lot easier for me to listen to podcasts in the summer when I have to go and mow the lawn or work in the garden. Winter chores don't generally allow me to tune out the outside world like that, and it hasn't snowed nearly enough this year for me break out the snowblower more than a couple times.
Can't imagine listening a podcast with the snowblower running :laugh: These things are loud af

I have to drive a lot for work so podcasts in the car are a must.

Reactions: Pokecheque

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
No doubt about the DNVR podcast. In my opinion it's the best Avs podcast/content (with Clark for the Athletic). AJ knows what he's talking about as well.
I I disagree. AJ drags the episodes down imo. He's not an idiot but about 80% of the stuff he says doesn't interest me in the slightest. (I agree, it's the best Avs podcast we currently have.)

Reactions: MarkT

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I like AJ. I think he has his moments, I.E. when he argues with nobodies on twitter, but I think their analysis is more often than not on target and Rudo and Evan are both good too. My only real complaint with AJ is sometimes it's pretty obvious he's playing video games while he records the podcasts (you can literally hear the sound effects in the background) and, while I normally wouldn't care, it causes him to space out at weird times during the podcast. I mean they record one every weekday and I understand that gets old, but I can't help but shake my head when it happens.

Not to mention BSN is the only place to get an Avs fix over the horrible summer months when everyone else disappears.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Listening to other local sports team podcasts besides the Avs, I think you can confirm that DNVR/BSN was made by fans for fans. I don't think they were necessarily wrong in making their business, the local sports coverage is honestly brutal for all teams including the Broncos. They talk about the Broncos as TSN radio talks about the Leafs, but they eventually run out of stories due to one game per week that they either have to get a microscope to find some news, talk about **** stories like Tim Tebow burritos, or mention about the same things over and over again.

In a way BSN reminds me a lot of Arsenal Fan TV with media credentials, but with little entertainment and presence of arrogance. I admit I haven't listened to a podcast in a really long time by them, but some of their writers really come across as The Beatles after their fame and AJ is one of the worst ones IMHO. For the record, I don't hate the bloke nor anybody who works there, but just something I've gotten from the podcasts. The Rockies staff seem like the best ones on that site.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I mean it's not like AJ is stealing the job of someone who would be better, the Avs podcast is pretty much his baby. I'm happy that they make a daily podcast (I don't listen daily but at least a couple of times a week).

To me what they do is just bonus content that we wouldn't have if they'd not do it...I'd rather have something more professional but it's better than nothing (which is the true alternative). I'm never going to criticize them for doing something that no one else provides.

I can't even hate on Dater...I don't like some of the things he says but who else in the whole league is sleeping in $20/night AirBNB's, flies in the cheapest plane seats and drives thousands of miles in rented cars just to cover their team? It's not like he's making bank either for doing it either. That's dedication and I can't hate or even mock him. He's doing what no one else does.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I mean it's not like AJ is stealing the job of someone who would be better, the Avs podcast is pretty much his baby. I'm happy that they make a daily podcast (I don't listen daily but at least a couple of times a week).

To me what they do is just bonus content that we wouldn't have if they'd not do it...I'd rather have something more professional but it's better than nothing (which is the true alternative). I'm never going to criticize them for doing something that no one else provides.

I can't even hate on Dater...I don't like some of the things he says but who else in the whole league is sleeping in $20/night AirBNB's, flies in the cheapest plane seats and drives thousands of miles in rented cars just to cover their team? It's not like he's making bank either for doing it either. That's dedication and I can't hate or even mock him. He's doing what no one else does.
Yeah no doubt, them providing some light on the Avs and for the casual fanbase is better than nothing at all. But I also think that Clark has made a lot of DNVR Avs stories irrelevant though. Not because I don't appreciate the blokes at BSN, but majority of what they say is the same thing Clark will report as well. Additionally, Clark is the best source for the Avs and I don't think it is close to whoever second place is. Sure he doesn't report a lot of insider information, but when he does you tend to listen.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Both DNVR and The Athletic hold great value. DNVR do more stories and quicker, as well as report cards, which I really enjoy reading. Clark does more long-form/feature stories. I really don't see them as direct competitors.

Reactions: Balthazar

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Yeah no doubt, them providing some light on the Avs and for the casual fanbase is better than nothing at all. But I also think that Clark has made a lot of DNVR Avs stories irrelevant though. Not because I don't appreciate the blokes at BSN, but majority of what they say is the same thing Clark will report as well. Additionally, Clark is the best source for the Avs and I don't think it is close to whoever second place is. Sure he doesn't report a lot of insider information, but when he does you tend to listen.

They complement each other. Can't count on Clark for a quick post-game podcast.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
They complement each other. Can't count on Clark for a quick post-game podcast.
Not that I am trying to argue, but you need to listen to a podcast to understand the game you just watched? I think it's good for the blokes who cut cable and won't pay for NHLTV, but how many of those fans are one's to roam the internet and randomly come across DNVR?

Babel Salamander

Oct 9, 2017
I'm starting to think listening to podcasts is a little like finding people to hang out with, with the exception of the few that are hosted by with a professional radio kind of tone. You'll probably like the DNVR podcasts if you'd like hanging out with AJ and Rudo. I can get fatigued pretty quick with certain podcasters voices. I've tried giving AJ chances just because the podcast scene is barren, but I'll just be nice and say it's a bad personality mix for me. I initially found the even tempered tone of Locked on Avalanche appealing, but I also got tired of him after a few bad takes and just getting facts wrong. I do like some of the more infrequently updated podcasts better, but admittedly it may be because I'm not getting fatigued. The Avs Hockey Podcast is decent but they hardly ever update. Avalanche Talk isn't bad for a weekly podcast. Aarif Deen is a welcome voice... the audio quality could be improved though. I've heard Clark on the radio on occasion, I'd welcome it if he did a podcast.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Not that I am trying to argue, but you need to listen to a podcast to understand the game you just watched? I think it's good for the blokes who cut cable and won't pay for NHLTV, but how many of those fans are one's to roam the internet and randomly come across DNVR?

Who the hell listens to a podcast to understand a game? That's like any post-game show...you want to hear their opinion on what happened.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Both DNVR and The Athletic hold great value. DNVR do more stories and quicker, as well as report cards, which I really enjoy reading. Clark does more long-form/feature stories. I really don't see them as direct competitors.

I just checked the price. They are both $60/year. For my money, the Athletic is the vastly superior product.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I just checked the price. They are both $60/year. For my money, the Athletic is the vastly superior product.

No argument here, you get an international product with The Athletic, not to mention some fantastic analysis and insight.

There's still some stuff to like about both though. To each their own, I'll freely admit that subscribing to both sites AND plunking down money for Dater's stuff is a bit extravagant.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Yeah, I heard on the radio this morning that it was just Denver metro area. Not sure why.

Screen+shot+2011-09-21+at+18.46.03.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad