News Article: Colorado Avalanche Media Coverage Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
This is the first paragraph of that article. My dad sent it to me wondering if he lost his mind or not because he couldn’t understand it at all. I reassured him it was just Chambers.
This is exactly like a student who realizes last second that he has an exam that day, skims the textbook for two minutes before class, and then tried to write an essay.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I think the main reason I dislike Chambers so much is what it means that he still has this job writing about the Avs. It means that the Avs (something very important to me), is really not that important and most people couldn't care less. If people cared about the Avs, Chambers wouldn't be able to keep his job.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I think the main reason I dislike Chambers so much is what it means that he still has this job writing about the Avs. It means that the Avs (something very important to me), is really not that important and most people couldn't care less. If people cared about the Avs, Chambers wouldn't be able to keep his job.

It’s true, well said.

If the Avs were even the 3rd or 4th ticket in town, perhaps more people would care, but they don’t.

We have accepted mediocre to awful journalism for the entire existence of our franchise. Let’s be honest.

A hack like this in Toronto would be chastised and fired the following day.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
It’s true, well said.

If the Avs were even the 3rd or 4th ticket in town, perhaps more people would care, but they don’t.

We have accepted mediocre to awful journalism for the entire existence of our franchise. Let’s be honest.

Colorado and Toronto media are just different types of insanity. I'm not sure the entertainment value would be worth trading places lol.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
It’s true, well said.

The Toronto media still employees Steve Simmonds though, so not I agree.

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
Colorado and Toronto media are just different types of insanity. I'm not sure the entertainment value would be worth trading places lol.
I'll take the Colorado media over they nauseating hype beast that is Toronto. How many players have they run out of town, and theres a reason why a ton of players have all of Canada on their NTC.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

madman

Deadmarsh Deli Dills
Jun 6, 2009
Steamboat Springs

You're spot-on. The Post is a burning tire fire of a newspaper and most of the real journalistic talents they had (including the ones they absorbed from the Rocky Mountain News) are long gone. But it's still the primary print outlet for the region and people like my parents want to subscribe to the local, daily newspaper - even when it's largely been gutted.

Chambers has always played up his corny "I'm a real, old-school hockey guy, I know how to capture the spirit of the thing" schtick, yet he's managed to never improve as an actual writer or journalist. That goes back to when he was on the DU beat and just did spot Avs coverage to fill in for Dater. The fact that he still is employed at the Post is a fair case study in the death of that industry.

The paper doesn't care that he's bad at his job; he's been doing it for awhile now and probably doesn't earn much, so he gets to keep doing it. Success by attrition.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
You're spot-on. The Post is a burning tire fire of a newspaper and most of the real journalistic talents they had (including the ones they absorbed from the Rocky Mountain News) are long gone. But it's still the primary print outlet for the region and people like my parents want to subscribe to the local, daily newspaper - even when it's largely been gutted.

Chambers has always played up his corny "I'm a real, old-school hockey guy, I know how to capture the spirit of the thing" schtick, yet he's managed to never improve as an actual writer or journalist. That goes back to when he was on the DU beat and just did spot Avs coverage to fill in for Dater. The fact that he still is employed at the Post is a fair case study in the death of that industry.

The paper doesn't care that he's bad at his job; he's been doing it for awhile now and probably doesn't earn much, so he gets to keep doing it. Success by attrition.

The fact that Chambers is the only guy left covering the NHL at the Post while they struggle financially, and make cutbacks, is a testament to how little they're probably paying him.

The fact that he hasn't gotten a job elsewhere is a testament to him probably getting paid what he's worth as a journalist.

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
Did anyone notice in that Keefe and Cole video the Avs posted where Keefe asked who would you punch in the face in this locker room and get away with it. Cole said well daters over there they both laugh then Cole seemed to feel bad and deflect to Kyle.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Stumbled upon something interesting last night that might benefit you poor folks in Colorado.

NHL.TV only validates location when you initially open the game stream. Literally all you need to get around this is a free VPN account.

1. Active the VPN
2. Log into NHL.TV and start the game stream
3. Deactivate VPN

No more regional blackouts. I've been doing this to get around the Anaheim and LA blackouts in my area.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Stumbled upon something interesting last night that might benefit you poor folks in Colorado.

NHL.TV only validates location when you initially open the game stream. Literally all you need to get around this is a free VPN account.

1. Active the VPN
3. Deactivate VPN

No more regional blackouts. I've been doing this to get around the Anaheim and LA blackouts in my area.

Interesting. What devices are you using? I have found that if your device has location services , you don't get around the regional blackout checkoff by NHL.TV.

I have VPN. My HDTV does not have location services (or chip) in it and VPN allows me to tune into the Avs. My phone, iPad and laptop are auto geo-location recognized and it doesn't matter what server across the globe I use, I'm blacked out regionally on those devices.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Interesting. What devices are you using? I have found that if your device has location services , you don't get around the regional blackout checkoff by NHL.TV.

I have VPN. My HDTV does not have location services (or chip) in it and VPN allows me to tune into the Avs. My phone, iPad and laptop are auto geo-location recognized and it doesn't matter what server across the globe I use, I'm blacked out regionally on those devices.

I do this on both my PC and macbook pro, where I watch 99% of my Avs games. I couldn't imagine watching a game on a mobile device, so probably can't help you there. Maybe try going into airplane mode but keeping wifi enabled? That might disable location services.

But if you have a VPN sub with a traffic cap you're using with your TV, it's good to know you don't have to keep the VPN activated the entire game, eating up your plan.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
I don't get around to watching all the post and pre game press conferences, but is anyone actually asking bednar and co wtf is going on with the special teams. Why is this shit still happening with seemingly no change. I get that last night we were missing both rants and bura from the top unit, but our pp has sucked for ages. Why is this seemingly not being taken seriously.

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
I don't get around to watching all the post and pre game press conferences, but is anyone actually asking bednar and co wtf is going on with the special teams. Why is this shit still happening with seemingly no change. I get that last night we were missing both rants and bura from the top unit, but our pp has sucked for ages. Why is this seemingly not being taken seriously.
I honestly can't think of a single time since Bednar has been here that someone's actually pressed on a really tough question. That's gotten him even slightly uncomfortable. I'm wondering if Avs PR are crazy strict with submitting questions before press conferences or something. Im sure TMV could give some insight.

Last edited:

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Maybe Chambers should get some billboards and prove to you he really is legit.
RO3uTjU.jpg

ETTHAKING67

Feb 12, 2019
Do you know why Dater left DNVR (I know I'm late) but there was a twitter fight between AJ and AD a couple of weeks ago and I was wondering if he was fired or what.

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
Do you know why Dater left DNVR (I know I'm late) but there was a twitter fight between AJ and AD a couple of weeks ago and I was wondering if he was fired or what.
I don't think they've ever touched on it publicly, but speculating as a pod listener and just what both parties did afterwards, I think Dater probably felt he brought in quite a bit of new/different subs age/demo wise when he joined. Maybe he asked for a raise/wasn't happy with the pay or maybe BSN just cut costs because I think some other sports lost writers at the same time if I remember correctly. But regardless of the catalyst he obviously thought he could do a better job out on his own with his own site/company.

They have been mostly amiable, Dater has taken a few pot shots at AJ and BSN on twitter and they've responded appropriately imo, but other than that not much is known unless I've missed something.

I will say I think Rudo is way better on the POD than Jesse or Dater so thats been a win. I tried to listen to the Can't hear what Jeremy is saying pod (brutal name) and it was way too much rambling bumbles for me. Zero structure and pace to it, it feels like a press record and talk and what you get is what you get type of thing. BSN could still use some higher end production by all means but they are miles ahead of Dater in that arena.

Reactions: ETTHAKING67

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Someone came out with a pod recently that featured Dater talking about his firing by the Denver Post and both he and the interviewer got savaged pretty hard by Hockey Twitter. I haven't listened to it, and probably won't. I have also avoided his hockey pod as well...honestly got enough of those to listen to and am falling behind.

I'm honestly torn on AD. He seems like a good guy, albeit deeply troubled. His behavior that got him canned by the Post was out of line (and I'm rather perplexed at the lack of attrition since his initial public apology, which seemed genuine) but I think he paid the price and haven't heard any reports that he's up to his old tricks again. He can be really annoying on social media, but I still feel he's a good writer. I do feel a bit bad for him as this latest gig makes me feel like his career is on its last legs.

I don't really dislike any writers covering the Avs except for Chambers and (when he feels like swooping in with some hot take garbage) Kizsla.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Someone came out with a pod recently that featured Dater talking about his firing by the Denver Post and both he and the interviewer got savaged pretty hard by Hockey Twitter. I haven't listened to it, and probably won't. I have also avoided his hockey pod as well...honestly got enough of those to listen to and am falling behind.

I'm honestly torn on AD. He seems like a good guy, albeit deeply troubled. His behavior that got him canned by the Post was out of line (and I'm rather perplexed at the lack of attrition since his initial public apology, which seemed genuine) but I think he paid the price and haven't heard any reports that he's up to his old tricks again. He can be really annoying on social media, but I still feel he's a good writer. I do feel a bit bad for him as this latest gig makes me feel like his career is on its last legs.

I don't really dislike any writers covering the Avs except for Chambers and (when he feels like swooping in with some hot take garbage) Kizsla.
Dater is an incredible writer, Blood Feud is an incredible book. Reporting less so, I think he runs with stuff he doesn’t have concrete proof of and tries to be the first to the punch to a fault. On the flip side he also seems to somehow not put enough effort in and misses stuff that he shouldn’t. Doesn’t seem like a bad guy, but I think he needs to put a little more effort in and he’d be much more successful.

milehigh11

Mar 4, 2014
Mile High State

1. Active the VPN
3. Deactivate VPN

Hmmm I just stream through sportsurge.net no need to VPN needed.

ETTHAKING67

Feb 12, 2019
I will say I think Rudo is way better on the POD than Jesse or Dater so thats been a win. I tried to listen to the Can't hear what Jeremy is saying pod (brutal name) and it was way too much rambling bumbles for me. Zero structure and pace to it, it feels like a press record and talk and what you get is what you get type of thing. BSN could still use some higher end production by all means but they are miles ahead of Dater in that arena.

No doubt about the DNVR podcast. In my opinion it's the best Avs podcast/content (with Clark for the Athletic). AJ knows what he's talking about as well.

Reactions: S3rkie
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille