Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Sid walks into Montreal and stone cold stuns them all

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Letang might be too for all we know. Last time Sully said Letang wasn't done for the year, he was done for the year.
Until he starts skating - in my mind he is 1-2 weeks away and that is if he even starts skating. But with his injury history and it being an obvious neck / back injury. Yeah... he is a good chance of being finished for the year. Yet Sully said he is day to day? Laughable.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Maatta will be back this month.
Really? Hmmm.... that kind of monkey wrenches things. Not that I want him hurt, but... I guess him over Trot would be ok, but... I donno what to say here.
Thats why I keep posting asking y'all because this is some difficult choices ahead. The old D couldn't breakout worth a shit or hold semblance of control in a game. Jeez at least now there is something. 2 weeks ago was brutal.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
McCann could be that guy.

And it'll have to be him with Rust out. Will be interesting see if Sully goes there - I think between ZAR's early success and McCann clicking with Sid, might be a while. Which is a shame.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Really want to make the playoffs to see what McCann can do for us...even Bjugstad. The secondary scoring we didnt have last year. Think it would be a huge factor.

Need to hear about Rust too...tho Blueger may make up for some of that. Just get him and Cullen away from Wilson. Add a damn scorer for that line. Bluegs and Cullen are solid defensively we dont need him. Honestly should have kept Pearson...hes another guy who can score timely goals in the playoffs

When Rust is back Wilson will most likely sit.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I don't think it's a coincidence that he was playing his best hockey with a two-way speed demon on the LW.

Which is why it's absurd that Rust hasn't been given a serious look in that role.
This Phillip we have now is still leagues beyond the space cadet we had for the post season last year. Just don't get hurt.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Yeah, I think McCann could be a better version of Rust. That's some high praise, because I love Rust.

Just wait til Bellerive is ready :popcorn:

Btw Archibald with his 10th goal tonight....would much rather see him on our 4th than Wilson. Tho we will have guys like Arch coming up soon if given a chance...Sully likes his older UDFAs like Wilson and Rowney.

But Ill leave that alone tonight since he made some solid decisions that led to this win.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
It's not coincidence, but Phil is ass right now because of Phil. Geno looks like Geno again.

I'm not interested in placing blame, tbh. If we want Phil to be the sort of player who can help us when it counts, we ought to be doing everything we can to help him get there. I don't think we've come close to that, and it's especially important when we've only had one PMD all season long that primarily plays behind Sid's line at ES.

Reactions: DegenX

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Gudbranson did have a really solid game, although he did make a couple of bonehead plays by being too aggressive. I'd rather him play aggressive than passive though, so I don't have much of a reason to complain. I thought JJ had a meh game (way better than the badness that he was earlier in the year), but it seems like other people disagree.

ZAR was atrocious out there and Kessel wasn't much better. I also though Cullen and Wilson were bad.

With Johnson playing top pairing for these games all take meh games all day long. Playing top pairing minutes vs. other teams best forwards and not looking bad is a great fill in. Most defenseman could not handle that type of responsibility. With the Johnson-Schultz pairing playing top pairing and holding the fort while Dumoulin-Letang are out is huge. Honestly if they couldn’t handle playing the top pairing our season would of been over with this time of having Dumoulin, Letang, and Maatta out. How many teams could survive top pairing out and also a 2nd pairing defenseman out?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Really? Hmmm.... that kind of monkey wrenches things. Not that I want him hurt, but... I guess him over Trot would be ok, but... I donno what to say here.
Thats why I keep posting asking y'all because this is some difficult choices ahead. The old D couldn't breakout worth a **** or hold semblance of control in a game. Jeez at least now there is something. 2 weeks ago was brutal.

The forwards playing defence properly has a lot more impact on this than the blue line personnel. I'm honestly kinda happy we're having all these blue line injuries as its forcing the forwards to do their job and I'm hoping that'll become a habit and carry over.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I'm not interested in placing blame, tbh. If we want Phil to be the sort of player who can help us when it counts, we ought to be doing everything we can to help him get there. I don't think we've come close to that, and it's especially important when we've only had one PMD all season long that primarily plays behind Sid's line at ES.

Or you know. The sniper we pay 6.8 mil could have more than 5 goals in his last 25 games.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
The forwards playing defence properly has a lot more impact on this than the blue line personnel. I'm honestly kinda happy we're having all these blue line injuries as its forcing the forwards to do their job and I'm hoping that'll become a habit and carry over.
Penguins are depthy no doubt. Crazy. What teams can lose 4 roster d men (yeah I guess ruh too) and perform better? This team is freakishly good.... and bad..... I donno.

Reactions: Peat

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Or you know. The sniper we pay 6.8 mil could have more than 5 goals in his last 25 games.
I have been wondering if this is Phil's last season since last spring, but he's not really doing himself any favors. It's weird, he's an absolute anchor out there and a mess, but he's still a PPG player. Nobody is as effective as Phil stat-wise while looking absolutely dreadful out there on a shift by shift basis. :laugh:

It's nobody's fault but his own, either. Phil's in his own head, he's playing with no confidence and passing up (quite literally, most of the time) opportunities to put pucks on wide open nets.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I have been wondering if this is Phil's last season since last spring, but he's not really doing himself any favors. It's weird, he's an absolute anchor out there and a mess, but he's still a PPG player. Nobody is as effective as Phil stat-wise while looking absolutely dreadful out there on a shift by shift basis. :laugh:

It's nobody's fault but his own, either. Phil's in his own head, he's playing with no confidence and passing up (quite literally, most of the time) opportunities to put pucks on wide open nets.

We need someone that can score goals. Not someone that lives off PP assists and assists from playing next to Malkin. Which is Phil the last two years.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007

Still need him if they make the post season. As much of a hindrance that he is at (often) times... losing him with what equal threat as a replacement is the big what to do

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Just wait til Bellerive is ready :popcorn:

Btw Archibald with his 10th goal tonight....would much rather see him on our 4th than Wilson. Tho we will have guys like Arch coming up soon if given a chance...Sully likes his older UDFAs like Wilson and Rowney.

But Ill leave that alone tonight since he made some solid decisions that led to this win.

Ya but even Rowney was better than Wilson. I dont blame Sully as much as I blame JR for bringing in the older guys like Wilson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad