Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Sid walks into Montreal and stone cold stuns them all

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
We have it in Jake.

We didn’t have Jake in 15-16. We did in 16-17. We did in 17-18 and it is clearly Jake has been a head above Kessel those two playoffs.

You can afford to move Kessel if it gets us a top tier prospect, a LW or RW for Malkin, or a top four D that allows us to rid ourselves of Maatta or JJ.

Kessel for two years has shown he can’t carry a third line, and he can’t or won’t be allowed to fit in our top six.

Issue is Rutherford would probably do something like trade him for Dustin Brown and a 2nd.
Guentzel's not enough. Guentzel gives Crosby a great winger. But we need at least another guy of that calibre either with Malkin or on his own 3rd line, and we just don't.

MeinerEiner

Dec 9, 2013
Cologne
We need to try Kessel with the Florida boys when Rust ist back.

Guentzel - Sid - Hornqvist
ZAR - Malkin - Rust
McCann - Bjugstad - Kessel
Blueger - Cullen - Simon

Malkin seems to be a one man show on that 2nd line but I think he can handle it.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
You mean in 2015-16 when we had a star player on each line? Unless you think Guentzel can/should carry a line like Phil did that year, we're a man short.

I think it is pretty obvious Phil didn’t carry that line now. That was a combination of Bonino going on a hot streak, Hags being a solid third wheel and Kessel benefiting from their 2 way play.

Honestly, Bonino had more game changing daggers than Kessel.

We also can spread the wealth in our line up now with Guentzel - Sid, Malkin - Rust and McCann - Bjugstad - Hornqvist if we want.

Trying to replicate what Kessel provided in 15-16 is almost as pointless as Shero trying to constantly stack Sid - Malkin - Staal with no winger support.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
That's where Im at. The lineup has me excited about the playoffs...but since we've been inconsistent alot havent thought about what these players can do if they get in. JR made some questionable moves but in most of the trades these guys were more built for playoff hockey than regular season.

And we could be seeing the start of another run happening right now. Wasnt this when Hags and Bones started to pick up their games like McCann is doing? Bjugstad isn't dominating the stat sheet but that goal against Buffalo was not something we see from anyone outside of our stars in last years playoffs. Blueger a rookie who is getting full time now that theres room(tho there was before Rust was hurt) and could perform like Rust/Sheary did...who knows.

Still a ways to go but keep this level of play up and pile up wins to get in and I see no reason we dont have a shot.
Just gotta get hot at the right time. Which is now. Like the first of the back to backs. The Pens were monsters a month and a half before the playoffs.

Reactions: JimmyTwoTimes

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I wonder if JR circles back to Duchene in free agency and that really prompts a Kessel trade.

Then again, I imagine Duchene will get better offers from playoff caliber teams who can offer a center role.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
It seems we've moved on from last night's game.
Hunt for the Playoffs thread is here
Cap and Roster Building thread is here
All Purpose thread is here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad