OT: Cole's Funhouse of Honour - AINT NOBODY WEARING CROCS IN HERE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I've been spending more time playing a free-to-play game the past month than I have my last half dozen full priced games. Makes me kind of regret buying games on release at full price when I could just wait until they're in the bargain bin a few months/year later.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'm playing "Bang" on mobile. It's like a quick draw showdown with other shooters. All about reaction time and this one cowboy character keeps kicking my ass.

I think I need add or adhd to beat this bloke.

AlphaMikeFoxtrots

The Sounds of Silence
Sponsor
Oct 17, 2014
100% agree. Can't stop rocking mine. By far my favorite. Shit just takes forever to deliver from CA to PA.

And man I feel bad for ship times right now. They are a disaster.

Targeted advertising was a bullseye on that one, but I'm not mad about it :laugh:

Yeah, it's a crapshoot rn for sure. There are a handful of companies I order from fairly regularly and who unfailingly get the order shipped the following day at latest; when it gets to me is a whole other thing.

Just ordered some of my preferred maximum-pockets pants for my mom and sis for Christmas, hopefully 10 days is not too big an ask :laugh:

Reactions: ColePens

AlphaMikeFoxtrots

The Sounds of Silence
Sponsor
Oct 17, 2014
Vigilant
20201214_203442.jpg

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
How frequently do you guys get a new phone?

I am a tech guy and I used to always want new phones. Honestly.. if you are a simple text/social media/podcast person - it ain't worth it. Seriously. Keep yours as long as it runs then grab a couple models back brand new under 500. There is no phone worth 1k. Unless you are using it for business or something like that.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I've been spending more time playing a free-to-play game the past month than I have my last half dozen full priced games. Makes me kind of regret buying games on release at full price when I could just wait until they're in the bargain bin a few months/year later.

You can admit to playing Magic the Gathering Arena here. It is a safe space.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

Usually every couple of years because I break them. I find good deals on new phones. I never get the latest model but not something that’ll be obsolete with the next iOS update. Usually pay $200-600 for a new one depending on model or deal out there.

I miss the iPhone 5C

Reactions: dogthateats

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg
I am a tech guy and I used to always want new phones. Honestly.. if you are a simple text/social media/podcast person - it ain't worth it. Seriously. Keep yours as long as it runs then grab a couple models back brand new under 500. There is no phone worth 1k. Unless you are using it for business or something like that.
Do you work in tech or you just are into tech and gadgets?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Personal phone? I keep until the battery starts to be enough of an issue where instead of getting a new one for it, I just get a new one.

But work gives me a new phone every year, so I usually just sim card swap and use the new one. They keep telling me to cancel my personal phone and use my work phone as my personal and they would cover the bill, but I like having the disconnect, I need to give them boundaries.

So my personal is the Iphone XS Max 512gb. My work phone is the Iphone 12 Pro Max 512gb in the blue.

My XS is at 92% capacity for battery after 2yrs, my fiance on the other hand, had the Iphone 11 Pro Max 256gb and her battery is 89% lol, but she has the new one like my work one, so she's fine. No clue how she destroys her phones the way she does, she's a monster.

Edit: Sorry, my fiancé said it's not blue, it's "Pacific Blue."

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Do you work in tech or you just are into tech and gadgets?
I don't know about @ColePens ..

But I work in Tech, specifically Software. I love gadgets. I was a very big Android user but I didn't like the way their ecosystem interacted with each other, I was one of those usual Apple haters that mocked people for stuff Apple was doing that Android always had, but then I got an Apple when my Samsung shattered one drunk night thanks to a mate that had a loaner for me and as much as I hated it, I loved the simplicity, I liked that it used what it had, properly and to the best of its ability where as Android, you have to tinker with it endlessly to get it to where you want it but then there's more you can do and you are never satisfied and then the support starts to disappear within 2yrs and you're stuck with a phone you need to root to really make it better.

So being with Apple the last 5yrs, I am fully into their ecosystem and it's great - Ipad pro, Iphone, Apple Watch, Airpod Pro's, Macbook Ultimate Pro, I have my Imac Pro, I got my fiance a Mac Pro, we're fully immersed and the cross device functionality is seamless and I enjoy that. I love the apple pencil 2 usage for taking notes and even playing around with Procreate.

It probably kills people that are fans of tech and don't work in the industry to see someone that does and 99% of us at the office, use Apple products.

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg
I don't know about @ColePens ..

But I work in Tech, specifically Software. I love gadgets. I was a very big Android user but I didn't like the way their ecosystem interacted with each other, I was one of those usual Apple haters that mocked people for stuff Apple was doing that Android always had, but then I got an Apple when my Samsung shattered one drunk night thanks to a mate that had a loaner for me and as much as I hated it, I loved the simplicity, I liked that it used what it had, properly and to the best of its ability where as Android, you have to tinker with it endlessly to get it to where you want it but then there's more you can do and you are never satisfied and then the support starts to disappear within 2yrs and you're stuck with a phone you need to root to really make it better.

So being with Apple the last 5yrs, I am fully into their ecosystem and it's great - Ipad pro, Iphone, Apple Watch, Airpod Pro's, Macbook Ultimate Pro, I have my Imac Pro, I got my fiance a Mac Pro, we're fully immersed and the cross device functionality is seamless and I enjoy that. I love the apple pencil 2 usage for taking notes and even playing around with Procreate.

It probably kills people that are fans of tech and don't work in the industry to see someone that does and 99% of us at the office, use Apple products.
Same, I work in tech and love gadgets. I have an iPad, Apple TV, 2 MacBooks (work and personal), iPhone, AirPods, Apple Watch too. I was just curious how frequently people upgraded their tech. I think it is pretty amazing how well devices that are 4-5 years old still work.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Same, I work in tech and love gadgets. I have an iPad, Apple TV, 2 MacBooks (work and personal), iPhone, AirPods, Apple Watch too. I was just curious how frequently people upgraded their tech. I think it is pretty amazing how well devices that are 4-5 years old still work.

Honestly, outside of the camera on the 12 vs my XS Max, I would still wait for the 13, I used to be a new phone every year type of person and I kept my Ipad's a max of 2yrs (I just got the Ipad Pro 12.9" earlier this year, so if the next year's one is insanely better, I'll wait), the computers I won't get a new one as they're within a year old still. My Apple watch is the Series 5 (44mm) and the new stuff on the 6 didn't seem worth it to me. For me, if the new ones are a drastic enough of an upgrade, I will but there really is no need to with how Apple supports its products for years and they tend to age far better.

I actually really like my XS Max a lot more than the new ones and even if work didn't get me a new one every year, I would probably keep that for another year and get at least 3+yrs usage out of it. Like I said, I swapped my personal with my work and I still like the feel of the rounded edges on my XS than the squared off one they've gone with again. I don't even like the squared off edges on my Ipad pro.

So Apple Tv, do you really like yours? I sometimes use mine, but then I have my xbox one on and I have Disney+, Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Tubi on that and then the ability to jump into a game if I am really bored, so my Apple TV my fiancé uses to watch Apple TV+ shows (she watches that show with Jennifer Anniston? and that weird AF Servant with the fake or real baby thing) and I really don't care for anything on Apple TV+. I absolutely loathe their remote/controller design for Apple TV. For a company that is all about aesthetics, make a better f***ing remote.

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg
Honestly, outside of the camera on the 12 vs my XS Max, I would still wait for the 13, I used to be a new phone every year type of person and I kept my Ipad's a max of 2yrs (I just got the Ipad Pro 12.9" earlier this year, so if the next year's one is insanely better, I'll wait), the computers I won't get a new one as they're within a year old still. My Apple watch is the Series 5 (44mm) and the new stuff on the 6 didn't seem worth it to me. For me, if the new ones are a drastic enough of an upgrade, I will but there really is no need to with how Apple supports its products for years and they tend to age far better.

I actually really like my XS Max a lot more than the new ones and even if work didn't get me a new one every year, I would probably keep that for another year and get at least 3+yrs usage out of it. Like I said, I swapped my personal with my work and I still like the feel of the rounded edges on my XS than the squared off one they've gone with again. I don't even like the squared off edges on my Ipad pro.

So Apple Tv, do you really like yours? I sometimes use mine, but then I have my xbox one on and I have Disney+, Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Tubi on that and then the ability to jump into a game if I am really bored, so my Apple TV my fiancé uses to watch Apple TV+ shows (she watches that show with Jennifer Anniston? and that weird AF Servant with the fake or real baby thing) and I really don't care for anything on Apple TV+. I absolutely loathe their remote/controller design for Apple TV. For a company that is all about aesthetics, make a better f***ing remote.
Yeah the remote is garbage. I prefer using the remote on the iPhone I don’t really use my apple tv to it’s full potential, but mine hasn’t slowed down at all and I have had mine since 2015. Previously I had a Roku and it was unusable after maybe 2 years. One thing that is pretty nice about it is AirPlay if I want to watch something from my smaller devices on the big TV screen.
I actually have liked the shows that I tried on AppleTV+. Tiny Worlds is really good if you like animal documentaries, I have to watch them alone bc no one that I know likes them haha. Ted Lasso has it’s moments, and I thought For All Mankind and Defending Jacob were entertaining.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yeah the remote is garbage. I prefer using the remote on the iPhone I don’t really use my apple tv to it’s full potential, but mine hasn’t slowed down at all and I have had mine since 2015. Previously I had a Roku and it was unusable after maybe 2 years. One thing that is pretty nice about it is AirPlay if I want to watch something from my smaller devices on the big TV screen.
I actually have liked the shows that I tried on AppleTV+. Tiny Worlds is really good if you like animal documentaries, I have to watch them alone bc no one that I know likes them haha. Ted Lasso has it’s moments, and I thought For All Mankind and Defending Jacob were entertaining.
Disney+ had a good animal doc with ole Piss aficionado, Bear Grylls, it's actually quite fantastic.

Yeah we did the Roku thing and they're trash, they over heat and start to slow down within 2yrs, I really only liked (back then) their remote that had a plug in for headphones. I do like airplay on the Apple TV, it's very handy for shows or movies I've purchased that I can just flip to the tv and my fiancé mostly uses her phone as the remote unless she play this weird farming game while a show is on.

But like you even stated, the longevity of the products by apple is fantastic. My brother still uses an Iphone 7+ and he loves the button that isn't a button and refuses to get a new one and I don't blame him, it works perfectly fine and it is still within the new updates features that we have on the newer ones sans the better camera etc. The products just tend to keep working pretty well even when their counterparts/competitors products tend to need upgrades or outright replacement.

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg
Disney+ had a good animal doc with ole Piss aficionado, Bear Grylls, it's actually quite fantastic.

Yeah we did the Roku thing and they're trash, they over heat and start to slow down within 2yrs, I really only liked (back then) their remote that had a plug in for headphones. I do like airplay on the Apple TV, it's very handy for shows or movies I've purchased that I can just flip to the tv and my fiancé mostly uses her phone as the remote unless she play this weird farming game while a show is on.

But like you even stated, the longevity of the products by apple is fantastic. My brother still uses an Iphone 7+ and he loves the button that isn't a button and refuses to get a new one and I don't blame him, it works perfectly fine and it is still within the new updates features that we have on the newer ones sans the better camera etc. The products just tend to keep working pretty well even when their counterparts/competitors products tend to need upgrades or outright replacement.
My friend has an iPad Air 2 from 2014, it is still supported by the latest updates and is pretty fast. It basically looks the same as the current 10” iPad which does admittedly look a little outdated at this point.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Personal phone? I keep until the battery starts to be enough of an issue where instead of getting a new one for it, I just get a new one.

But work gives me a new phone every year, so I usually just sim card swap and use the new one. They keep telling me to cancel my personal phone and use my work phone as my personal and they would cover the bill, but I like having the disconnect, I need to give them boundaries.

So my personal is the Iphone XS Max 512gb. My work phone is the Iphone 12 Pro Max 512gb in the blue.

My XS is at 92% capacity for battery after 2yrs, my fiance on the other hand, had the Iphone 11 Pro Max 256gb and her battery is 89% lol, but she has the new one like my work one, so she's fine. No clue how she destroys her phones the way she does, she's a monster.

Edit: Sorry, my fiancé said it's not blue, it's "Pacific Blue."

Plus they can see all your Bryan Rust locker room picture searches if you used your business phone for personal use

In my work, they can subpoena phones used for work, so it's a grey area... If you do anything, even texting a coworker about anything work related on personal phone, that shit can be taken lol

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Plus they can see all your Bryan Rust locker room picture searches if you used your business phone for personal use

In my work, they can subpoena phones used for work, so it's a grey area... If you do anything, even texting a coworker about anything work related on personal phone, that shit can be taken lol
I paid good money for the Bryan Rust poster of the infamous Burt Reynolds pose. That's what albums are for, wanker.

My work phone is just work apps that we beta test and work emails, etc.

The only scandalous thing on my work phone is me telling the Ravens fan at work that Harbaugh is a bitch.

When I switched, I backed up my personal and same for my work in iTunes and just loaded it that way, work stated that as long as they know I did that, they can designate the proper code to which one is which. Since the XS Max was something I originally got from work and they just told me to keep it and I have documentation for that so they never claim I "stole it."

I've been through that bs before, the last company I worked for, they gave me permission to use my personal computer for work but when I quit, they seized my laptop and told me it had proprietary information and software of theirs on it and wouldn't even wipe it and give it back, so yeah, C.Y.A.

Last edited:
Reactions: EightyOne

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
It does help if you work for a good company, the one I work for has been great even when I got my brother into the same company, they made sure he went through the proper interview process. There was no way he wasn't getting hired with his background in the field, but they have always been good to me.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Disney got it backwards, the show shouldn't be about Obi-Wan. It should be about Darth Vader featuring Obi-Wan. No one gives a f*** about what Obi did, all he did was lurk around Luke and f***ed around to this or that planet.

But to see the world from Darth Vader's eyes when he's just become "Darth Vader"...literally every Star Wars fan has always wanted something like that. To expand on this further...

I'm not sure if many of you here watched Cobra Kai, but you should. It's the perspective that makes Karate Kid's 3 movies go from dorky 80's cheezy movie into something with some meat on its bones. To see the world from Johnny's eyes gives you a far better perspective that the hero wasn't that much different than the horrible person he was and even then, his background is why he is the way he is. Of course there's no redemption for Vader until Episode 6, but to see Vader vocalize the fact that he was used by the Jedi council and was also manipulated by the darkside (but maintains, its the side that saved him so his loyalty lies there, but isn't stupid to the reality of it), that's something I would tune into.

You underestimate the entertainment value of all that fuzz frosted over.

Used to happen to me with my beard, but it never gets cold enough here for me to have that problem anymore.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: