OT: Cole's Funhouse of Honour - AINT NOBODY WEARING CROCS IN HERE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
It’s snowing pre melted snow in Vancouver........everyday! It was so dark all day today. Hopefully I’ll still get to see the sun a couple more times this year :laugh: Vitamin D is pretty essential here.

yukon-vitamin-d-ad.jpg

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I guess my question is.. if we love ANH, then why not love TFA? It really is a huuuuuge rip off of ANH. But for me, and it's all subjective anyway, if a story is good - a story is good. I can easily just get lost in the world they are giving me. And TFA never allowed me to escape out of that world.

I love BB-8. I liked the questions around Rey. I LOVED Ren and the Solo death was such a moment. To me... one of the best Star Wars moments. I thought both actors did their best. I am a huge Chewbacca mark. And it followed TFA almost identical. Partial map... new young jedi... fun loving droid... holy shit fun.

Thennnn there was 8. Being a wrestling fan, I can EASILY get lost in stories and not think of plot holes. But so many times in 8 I remember just thinking in the threatre "what the f*** is this?" :laugh:
Because it’s a new hope wanking itself off to a pretty blatant narrative. They made the lead a female, the other a black actor and then tried to play it up to the current climate which at that point in time when TFA came out, was about being diverse and less about actually fleshing out characters. The entire 3 movies forced Leia and Rey down your throats even when the story naturally led you to wanting more from Kylo Ren. They retconned Rey in the end and tried to fix her story but that just made you despise her character even more, but Ren, try as they might to make him less of a focal point to Rey, was always a better character and they wasted it in the end.

Then go watch Rogue One, where the character of Erso is more organic in the story and you sympathize with that character far more than you could with Leia “Mary Poppins” Organa odd arc in the story like some weird Fairy Godmother character and Rey “I guess I’m a Skywalker” Palpatine. Nothing about TFA felt new or natural to me.

The stuff with Ren and his father, those were great because they felt organic to the story, it felt like the very few things that weren’t forced down your throat. At that point, you don’t know Kylo’s story like you do in episode 8. But you’re already fascinated and compelled by his anger and what not.

Rey? In the end, they did what Marvel does with its characters, she started doing shit that more powerful people before her, could never do and was doing it basically with ease. Like, gtfo of here with that nonsense mate.

7, 8, 9 were the Superman Returns of movies.

Even the actor that plays Finn called them out on it, they used him to promote the movie for diversity but they really had no idea how to progress his character, why? Because when you try to force diversity, your story usually ends up sucking because it’s not a natural progression from the story and its characters, Finn was a traitor, then he was just there, oh btw he is also force sensitive but really, meh who cares. Poe? Great pilot, but let’s really not delve too much into that, lets just make him like most Marvel characters, turn him into a sarcastic comic relief type of bloke.

Just how I saw it then and see it now.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I mean jesus, Episode 8?

It’s defined by weird green alien titty milk..

BTW @ColePens

I get it, people like the movies, although the 8th and 9th ones are pretty divisive with fans, a lot did enjoy The Force Awakens.

I just think in terms of the main characters, they missed the mark far more than they got on target, it’s my contention with it. It’s such a failed opportunity to wrap up the Skywalker saga, but it never needed to be wrapped up either, they had the opportunity to do something fresh and they went down that path and that is where they screwed up imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: ColePens

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Anyone have any streaming suggestions of movies or shows off of Amazon/Disney/Netflix?

It’s crazy that Disney will catch up to Netflix’s numbers for users by probably 2022. If not sooner in late 2021. I guess it helps being one of the richest companies in the world and are able to green light so many shows and movies for their streaming with fantastic production quality vs what Netflix can do for the most part.

I mean, Disney is mostly their own stuff which is insane. Netflix buys rights to stuff and has some of their own, but if you are going to take forever to release shows, you need to fill gaps.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I dont even have nostalgia for the OT. None of them are truly great. I would rather watch them, though, as they resemble a movie (even if shit was made up as they went along).

The prequels were pointless to the overall story.

And Disney Trilogy has zero...Z-E-R-O...redeeming qualities. It brought nothing of note to the franchise. It recycled old characters and poorly. No interesting new areas or people. Just. Dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->