OT: Cole's Funhouse of Honour - AINT NOBODY WEARING CROCS IN HERE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Let us, for a second, appreciate the fact that Mando wears a helmet for 2 seasons and when he does take it off...

He has a f***ing perv stache under it.

Reactions: NMK11

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
THE EXXXPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPANNNNSE IS BACK!

Finally, something to watch that isn't half a season of meh and half a season of oh f*** now it's good, let's wait a year to see if we still give a shit again.

Westworld took over a year to get back, I still haven't watched the recent season, don't care to. But The Expanse, each episode is fantastic.
Good, I was running out of things to do, the Expanse is great. Finished some books, waiting a bit for all the games I want to play to fix themselves, nothing but waiting a week between Mando episodes.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I think I watched the first episode of The Expanse. Seemed interesting, but I had many other shows to watch.

Now that I finished the first season of The Americans, perhaps I'll start The Expanse back up.

The Orville surprised me, in a good way.

Last edited:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
the prequels are a better idea and concept than the sequels, but the sequels are better made movies.

I agree with this. But with a caveat -- sure the story in the prequels was a great concept but a LOT of the groundwork for it had been laid in advance. Anakin and his fall, the Clone Wars, Obi Wan and his role in the conflict, etc. Now how did they actually execute that storyline in the film? Quite poorly at least from where I'm sitting. It came off as vast tracts of boring political intrigue about like trade blockades and crap. Who cares. They spent more time in the Senate than they did on the actual war itself... we didn't even get to see the battle of Coruscant (or the fall of the Jedi friggin Temple). The Clone Wars cartoon by Genndy Tartakovsky did a better job telling the story than the actual movie.

That said yeah the new movies obviously lacked an overall plan to keep them a cohesive trilogy. That was a huge ball dropped and Disney should be embarrassed and there should be consequences. But worse than the prequels? Nah... that's just axe-grinding. Why have the prequels been given this weird alternate-reality buffout as the years have gone by? Is it nostalgia? I DO get that. But it's the memes isn't it? It's always the f***ing memes.

I told you I shouldn't talk about SW lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Ogrezilla

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I agree with this. But with a caveat -- sure the story in the prequels was a great concept but a LOT of the groundwork for it had been laid in advance. Anakin and his fall, the Clone Wars, Obi Wan and his role in the conflict, etc. Now how did they actually execute that storyline in the film? Quite poorly at least from where I'm sitting. It came off as vast tracks of boring political intrigue about like trade blockades and crap. Who cares. They spent more time in the Senate than they did on the actual war itself... we didn't even get to see the battle of Coruscant (or the fall of the Jedi friggin Temple). The Clone Wars cartoon by Genndy Tartakovsky did a better job telling the story than the actual movie.

That said yeah the new movies obviously lacked an overall plan to keep them a cohesive trilogy. That was a huge ball dropped and Disney should be embarrassed and there should be consequences. But worse than the prequels? Nah... that's just axe-grinding. Why have the prequels been given this weird alternate-reality buffout as the years have gone by? Is it nostalgia? I DO get that. But it's the memes isn't it? It's always the f***ing memes.

I told you I shouldn't talk about SW lol
visible.jpg

To be fair, the memes are fantastic. But yeah, I completely agree. It's not like they are a well put together trilogy either. Ep 1 is almost completely unnecessary to the story of the prequels, the senate shit has pretty much nothing to do with anakin, and his actual story is still completely anemic. The clone wars does a good job of telling his story, but the prequels do not improve on the story obi wan and yoda tell in the originals.

Last edited:
Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I thought the memes were an absolute riot too... at first.

Then there was this weird "crossing the Rubicon" moment where people like... ACTUALLY started buying in on this idea that the films not only had some redeeming features (which I agree with!) but were, in fact, unfairly persecuted and in fact not just good... but great.

I continue to think, due to this and many other factors, that we are all living in a simulation that has been corrupted and steadily degrading into nonsense since approximately 2012.

To be fair, the memes are fantastic. But yeah, I completely agree. It's not like they are a well put together trilogy either. Ep 1 is almost completely unnecessary to the story of the prequels, the senate shit has pretty much nothing to do with anakin, and his actual story is still completely anemic. The clone wars does a good job of telling his story, but the prequels do not improve on the story obi wan and yoda tell in the originals.

YES! This exactly.

That's why I get the same expression on my face as ol Obi-Wan up there when people start waxing poetical about how the prequels' "amazing story arc" easily settles the debate on superiority of trilogies. It's like... we watched the same movies? Ya'll DO know that the vast majority of the framework for this "incredible story" was long worked out (over the course of like 20 years) before the movies dropped between the originals and the EU, right? And the rest was painting around the edges that they did a TERRIBLE job on. Midi-chlorians? Now there IS a new plot device... brilliant stuff, truly.

Last edited:

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I thought the memes were an absolute riot too... at first.

Then there was this weird "crossing the Rubicon" moment where people like... ACTUALLY started buying in on this idea that the films not only had some redeeming features (which I agree with!) but were, in fact, unfairly persecuted and in fact not just good... but great.

I continue to think, due to this and many other factors, that we are all living in a simulation that has been corrupted and steadily degrading into nonsense since approximately 2012.
Poe's law: it is impossible to create a parody of extreme views so obviously exaggerated that it cannot be mistaken by some for a sincere expression of the views being parodied.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Poe's law: it is impossible to create a parody of extreme views so obviously exaggerated that it cannot be mistaken by some for a sincere expression of the views being parodied.

I had thought of that, for sure.

But then the new movies dropped and people went ALL IN on the prequels being better. As some kind of weird pushback device at least partially, I think.

EDIT: Honestly I think some of it is just compulsion and the phenomenon of how groups of people get dumber and more outrageous the bigger the group is while individuals of this group, on their own, are often actually quite adroit, insightful and generally have good opinions. It's kinda like... how when The Last of Us 2 was released or more recently Cyberpunk... are they OMGHORRIBLE games as you are seeing on many forums and social media... lol... no. They have issues that should have been addressed but terrible? Nah. It's like people can't see past their collective outrage sometimes and find it easier just to join the group and throw some rocks of their own.

Just to be clear... all of this is not to say that the new movies were actually great or really anything close. To me they were collectively in the 5/6/7 range depending on which film we mean. And I was quite disappointed that they clearly had no actual PLAN for an overarching story and were unforgivably just kinda winging it and relying on the Star Wars name to make up for the rest. People are more than welcome to shrug their shoulders at them but I guess I draw the line HARD at "the prequels were better" lol.

Last edited:

Mr. T

Feb 15, 2003
I really like that Last Jedi tried to pull the mythology away from the Skywalkers and a small sliver of the rebels/resistance. There's an immeasurably large universe with virtually limitless potential for characters and stories, why limit it to such a small sliver? I think this is why Rogue One and The Mandalorian are better than the new trilogy. You have elements of what makes Star Wars great without simply regurgitating the same story again and again.

Mr. T

Feb 15, 2003
I think I watched the first episode of The Expanse. Seemed interesting, but I had many other shows to watch.

Now that I finished the first season of The Americans, perhaps I'll start The Expanse back up.

The Orville surprised me, in a good way.

It's a fantastic series that unfortunately has a slow start. There's a lot of characters to introduce and a bunch of world building, but once it gets rolling, it's really good.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I really like that Last Jedi tried to pull the mythology away from the Skywalkers and a small sliver of the rebels/resistance. There's an immeasurably large universe with virtually limitless potential for characters and stories, why limit it to such a small sliver? I think this is why Rogue One and The Mandalorian are better than the new trilogy. You have elements of what makes Star Wars great without simply regurgitating the same story again and again.

Man people DESPISED that movie so hard that I didn't end up even wanting to talk about it when it came out. I actually loved a lot of the "big" ideas in that movie and even if it seemed to be an incredibly unpopular take at the time... I LOVED how they "did" Luke. I thought it was absolutely spot on and unlike so many think it actually suited him exactly correctly taking his past into consideration. Luke was extremely imperfect (especially as originally written) and that's always been part of the point. TLJ fleshed that out and tied it up neatly, IMO. The idea that mistakes were essential for success really resonated and was extremely "Star Wars-y." I don't know what people expected... old Luke swooping in like a White Knight and pounding the First Order into dust with his mighty lightsaber? Um... OK. That sucks.

There were some really bad choices when it comes to like... oh I dunno... the entirety of Canto Bight. And really the entire decision to split the group up and break up the chemistry the actors had in the first film (and would reprise in the last) was not smart. Rose... yeah... don't approve of how the fans did her but that was a dumb choice. They did Finn dirty the whole film, too. And in general even though Rian Johnson is a fine director it almost felt like he didn't even watch the first movie or had any idea they were trying to make a trilogy, here. It was TOO much of a diversion and ended contributing to the last film being a frantic mess. A lot could have been solved with how TLJ was paced and some judicious cuts.

The last movie was "fun" (and a total mess) but you could tell they were just like "jesus christ let's just finish this off and go home... how are we gonna cram all this in?!?" Much as I love the ideas and concepts in TLJ... that was at least partially it's fault.

Last edited:

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013

Not sure if I've met anyone who thought the prequels we're great, that seems like a criteria for insanity. I think a lot more people are in the camp of "the prequels were less bad than the sequels when you look at it from the original star wars point of view". Both had so many things wrong (and a few things right), but I'll take the prequels fit within the arch that is star wars over the sequels and their better cinematic value.

But I think that's a preference thing. If you just pick a movie and look at it as a standalone, then the sequels probably win out.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I suppose that, full disclosure, I only know one person IRL who says the prequels were unequivocally better. And the rest are largely online... and like... Poe's Law like Ogre said. Who can tell.

Honestly though even "less bad" to me is... well... objectively incorrect. AoTC was frankly one of the worst movies I've ever sat through in a cinema. Likely the worst sci fi movie I've ever seen, all things considered. The first one gets all the sardonic laughs but shit man... Duel of Fates, Maul, Obi-Wan and Qui Gon... there are actually nuggets in there among the crap. The second movie is just straight trash... believe me I love SW and will try to find the good but man... not seeing it there. Anything that includes that level of bad, at least in my mind, has an insurmountable journey to even get to "mediocre" territory.

But in the end, like you said... I think much of it is preference. If someone were to tell me "man I wish you'd shut up... I love the prequels because I grew up with them and the give me some feels." I would never, ever argue that. That's your preference. It's when people try to pretend that objectively and from a movie-making standpoint that the prequels were superior to the new ones where I go a bit off the rails haha.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Man people DESPISED that movie so hard that I didn't end up even wanting to talk about it when it came out. I actually loved a lot of the "big" ideas in that movie and even if it seemed to be an incredibly unpopular take at the time... I LOVED how they "did" Luke. I thought it was absolutely spot on and unlike so many think it actually suited him exactly correctly taking his past into consideration. Luke was extremely imperfect (especially as originally written) and that's always been part of the point. TLJ fleshed that out and tied it up neatly, IMO. The idea that mistakes were essential for success really resonated and was extremely "Star Wars-y." I don't know what people expected... old Luke swooping in like a White Knight and pounding the First Order into dust with his mighty lightsaber? Um... OK. That sucks.

There were some really bad choices when it comes to like... oh I dunno... the entirety of Canto Bight. And really the entire decisions to split the group up and break up the chemistry the actors had in the first film (and would reprise in the last) was not smart. Rose... yeah... don't approve of how the fans did her but that was a dumb choice. They did Finn dirty the whole film, too. And in general even though Rian Johnson is a fine director it almost felt like he didn't even watch the first movie or had any idea they were trying to make a trilogy, here. It was TOO much of a diversion and ended contributing to the last film being a frantic mess. A lot could have been solved with how TLJ was paced and some judicious cuts.

The last movie was "fun" (and a total mess) but you could tell they were just like "jesus christ let's just finish this off and go home... how are we gonna cram all this in?!?" Much as I love the ideas and concepts in TLJ... that was at least partially it's fault.

I hate when time jumps are too grand to where you essentially kill off a main character. There was no in-between and the end was cut to the grave. A bit of leadup to Ben Solo turning and Luke training him could lead into many things. There's nothing you can do about Fisher dying, but there's more to give to the transition. After the first three they totally alienated the main actors/characters for so long it all was a mess leading up to TFA.

I mean why 32 years? 34 in Luke's case.

You want to know why the prequels suck...,., There it is...

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
It's been snowing like crazy for hours, now. I guess if I have to be stuck inside at least mother nature is putting on a nice show.

...so long as the damned power stays on.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The issue is they didn't give us any great characters and it's why they leaned so hard on the Skywalkers, again. Leia and Luke were brought back, same for Han.

Rey & Finn were absolute garbage, they were out classed by Ben Solo, some rotating pair of balls, and Poe. Every single scene with Rey or Finn were draining and boring, it made you zone out, because they were not compelling characters at all and even in the end, the horrible retcon of Rey's actual lineage was just boring and absolute trash.

On a side note in regards to Star Wars...

People can bitch and whine about the prequels all they want, at least it gave you a better idea of what the Jedi Council was really like (just as manipulative as the Empire) and somewhat of a better idea of a lot of the main characters and other things. People calling it shit? I say those people are fake ass fans, because the movies might have been executed very poorly, but the story adds to the original 3.

The new 3 did nothing from all of that material, as a matter of fact, all it did was piggy back off of the previous 6 to make more money. It basically felt like The Hobbit, which just felt like hey lets make more money on this LOTR ride. But at least The Hobbit was somewhat decent.

Yeah, people can come at me, it'll be bullshit because I am right and you lot know it.

Rogue One was good because it took some elements of the previous story and had better actors, hell even Solo was a far better movie than the 7-9 movies and Mandalorian as a show you can't compare to movies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yeah a bit overboard on my part, but I despise the 7-9 movies, wasting Kylo Ren on that trash of a movie and yeah...

I wish I could eternal sunshine my mind of those 3 movies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Yeah a bit overboard on my part, but I despise the 7-9 movies, wasting Kylo Ren on that trash of a movie and yeah...

I wish I could eternal sunshine my mind of those 3 movies.

I stand by the fact 7 was f***ing awesome. The hype after 7 was through the roof. It was the perfect comeback movie even though it was massively basic. It got us new characters that we WERE excited about. It had an AMAZING Solo moment. We had some great Star Wars vibes. Was it perfect? No. But it was just as good as Episode 3 and borderline ROTJ.

Now... 8/9 were just so sad. 8 ruined all the hype. It's like all fans said "Oh boy.. i'm going to ignore that happened." The Mary Poppins moment and the brutal story. I never watched it again and I watched TFA about 5-6 times. Saw it in the movies 2 times and I NEVER go to the movies.

But 8... 8 is AS LOW as Empire Strikes Back is high. It's not just a bad Star Wars film. It's a bad movie. It's borderline embarrassing.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
I applied to a job at Robert Morris for shits and giggles last month. Just got an e-mail saying they want to have a phone interview with me next week.

I wouldn’t mind the job, I just don’t think they can afford me. I make good money here between my established network of freelance and my salary (with great flexibility hours wise) and to move somewhere for work I’d have to cover my wife’s salary for a while until she gets clients as an esthetician. So I doubt a school that size can afford what I’d need, but great to know I have a marketable skill. I mean I know I’m talented but nice to see it translates.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I stand by the fact 7 was f***ing awesome. The hype after 7 was through the roof. It was the perfect comeback movie even though it was massively basic. It got us new characters that we WERE excited about. It had an AMAZING Solo moment. We had some great Star Wars vibes. Was it perfect? No. But it was just as good as Episode 3 and borderline ROTJ.

Now... 8/9 were just so sad. 8 ruined all the hype. It's like all fans said "Oh boy.. i'm going to ignore that happened." The Mary Poppins moment and the brutal story. I never watched it again and I watched TFA about 5-6 times. Saw it in the movies 2 times and I NEVER go to the movies.

But 8... 8 is AS LOW as Empire Strikes Back is high. It's not just a bad Star Wars film. It's a bad movie. It's borderline embarrassing.
I think you liked it because you wanted a Star Wars movie for such a long time that the mere resurrection of it,Han, and the Millennium Falcon hits all the nostalgic notes. But when you look at the movie, it’s literally a rip off of the original 3. I will only admit that 7 is somewhat watchable just for nostalgic reasons, but not for the so called story.

It takes some prodding but most will finally admit that. That’s the last I will mention about 7-9. For my own sanity...

Reactions: ColePens

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
It's been snowing like crazy for hours, now. I guess if I have to be stuck inside at least mother nature is putting on a nice show.

...so long as the damned power stays on.

It’s snowing pre melted snow in Vancouver........everyday! It was so dark all day today. Hopefully I’ll still get to see the sun a couple more times this year :laugh: Vitamin D is pretty essential here.

yukon-vitamin-d-ad.jpg

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

I liked (not loved) both TFA and The Last Jedi. None hold a candle to the originals but I still enjoyed them both. Haven’t seen the last movie yet

The prequels while not great I still liked them. They were a necessity that we were waiting for to see how it all played out. Plus Revenge of the Sith was worth it to see Anakin turn into Vader

Reactions: ColePens

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I think you liked it because you wanted a Star Wars movie for such a long time that the mere resurrection of it,Han, and the Millennium Falcon hits all the nostalgic notes. But when you look at the movie, it’s literally a rip off of the original 3. I will only admit that 7 is somewhat watchable just for nostalgic reasons, but not for the so called story.

It takes some prodding but most will finally admit that. That’s the last I will mention about 7-9. For my own sanity...

I guess my question is.. if we love ANH, then why not love TFA? It really is a huuuuuge rip off of ANH. But for me, and it's all subjective anyway, if a story is good - a story is good. I can easily just get lost in the world they are giving me. And TFA never allowed me to escape out of that world.

I love BB-8. I liked the questions around Rey. I LOVED Ren and the Solo death was such a moment. To me... one of the best Star Wars moments. I thought both actors did their best. I am a huge Chewbacca mark. And it followed TFA almost identical. Partial map... new young jedi... fun loving droid... holy shit fun.

Thennnn there was 8. Being a wrestling fan, I can EASILY get lost in stories and not think of plot holes. But so many times in 8 I remember just thinking in the threatre "what the f*** is this?" :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->