He looks like a machine

He has 12 goals and turcotte has 6

I think Wisconsin has scoring issues

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Yeah, his production is very good co side ring this face. I know Connor and Boeser crushed it that one year but their teams were stacked.
Yeah and they also got to play next to established upperclassmen. I don't know how much Caufield played next to Turcotte last year, but it's been a work in progress. A lot of the nights they are playing against 21-23 year old top opposing players. Both lack a little bit of physical maturity and experience in that regard. Makes me question if another year in college will help them. I do hope they stay another year and Wisconsin gets a new coach, but I understand they are likely 1-and-done.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Bergevin will trade Caufield. He's as good as gone. MB won't be able to resist with his "make da playoff, anyting can appen" strategy. Could be in a package for Taylor Hall, could be for something worse, but it will happen. MB is like a kid at the fair with a $20 in his pocket right now.

P. S., I called MB trading Sergachev too.

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
Bergevin will trade Caufield. He's as good as gone. MB won't be able to resist with his "make da playoff, anyting can appen" strategy. Could be in a package for Taylor Hall, could be for something worse, but it will happen. MB is like a kid at the fair with a $20 in his pocket right now.

Ok let's make a bet :) No way in hell Caufield gets traded

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

You need to be careful...search engine does exist....;). you wanted to trade Sergachev. Were saying that he struggled with no progression and all....Though I would say this....I would have prefer to have O'Reilly rather than Drouin...that's for sure.:D

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
MB has no history of ever trading significant assets at the deadline, don’t expect that to begin now...

He is who he is, the poor kid from Ville Emard who counts his pennies and will only make a deal when he either is surrendering relatively nothing of value, is well aware he’s getting a bargain or at worst net neutral value as his trade history suggests.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
You need to be careful...search engine does exist....;). you wanted to trade Sergachev. Were saying that he struggled with no progression and all....Though I would say this....I would have prefer to have O'Reilly rather than Drouin...that's for sure.:D
Look harder, you'll find it. I called MB trading him, but I knew he would't make the right trade. And yes I also wanted to trade him, but not for Drouin obviously.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
nah. Sheer upside? Breaking Ovi and Matthews' goal respective goal records? Over a PPG and well over a .05 GPG as a freshman? You could argue Galchenyuk when drafted but even still.

Being a better prospect doesn't just take offensive upside into account. It also includes chance of reaching that potential, the player's floor, his position, all-around play, etc.
That's why Turcotte is considered a better prospect despite Caufield beating all those records in their draft year and scoring more in the NCAA this year while playing on the same team.

kotkaniemi as a prospect was equal to Turcotte right now, if not better.

Last edited:

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
MB has no history of ever trading significant assets at the deadline, don’t expect that to begin now...

He is who he is, the poor kid from Ville Emard who counts his pennies and will only make a deal when he either is surrendering relatively nothing of value, is well aware he’s getting a bargain or at worst net neutral value as his trade history suggests.
last June , were you saying that Bergevin didn't have an history to offer sheet a player ?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He's on oace to surpass Eichel's 26. What's the record though?

The U-19 record for points will likely never be broken,

https://www.eliteprospects.com/league/ncaa/stats/all-time-season?age=u19

Eichel's 71 pts in the highest since Vanek's 62 pts in '02-'03.

For goals,

Elite Prospects - NCAA Stats All-time season

35 by Dave Silk (member of the 1980 Team USA olympic gold medal team),

Vanek had 31 as the highest in the 2000's. Boeser had 27 in 42 games, would be surprised if Caufield gets in that many games though.

Ok let's make a bet :) No way in hell Caufield gets traded

the one way I could see it is if NJ wins the lottery and offers to trade Lafreniere for Caufield plus in some package. Not saying it would even happen but NJ could be feel the pressure of being so bad this year and know that the Habs would be desperate for a big splash with the draft being in their building and their perhaps one shot at getting a big time local star to build around for the next 10+ years.

Say they want Petry, Gallagher and Caufield for Laf and maybe a prospect as a throw in to balance it out. I don't even know what NJ needs or what it would take for MB to be interested but if they did end up with that 1st and were willing to trade it for the right price, I bet MB would consider it long and hard as it would buy him a lot of room with the media and fans if he brought in the big local star.

Reactions: larrypacman8167

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Respectfully disagree, size made a difference in the end, Caufield wasn't supposed to be around past the 10th pick (some even saw thought top-5) but being under "5,10" you just can't be good enough... Size>>>skill :sarcasm:...

Depends what you value more. Caufield has 30+ goal potential while those 2 had/have 70pts 2 way C potential. I for sure think KK is a better prospect but I never liked Galchenyuk's game so I disagree with that one as well. Suzuki was in that same conversation as well after I saw how much his skating and strength improved but I was always higher on Suzuki than most so I'm surely in the minority there.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
last June , were you saying that Bergevin didn't have an history to offer sheet a player ?
As I said “MB has no history of trading assets at the DEADLINE”, his headline moves have always taken place in the summer: Subban-Weber, Drouin-Sergachev, Galchenyuk-Domi, Aho offer sheet this past summer

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

You won't be right twice like this :sarcasm:

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Being a better prospect doesn't just take offensive upside into account. It also includes chance of reaching that potential, the player's floor, his position, all-around play, etc.
That's why Turcotte is considered a better prospect despite Caufield beating all those records in their draft year and scoring more in the NCAA this year while playing on the same team.

kotkaniemi as a prospect was equal to Turcotte right now, if not better.
Galchenyuk and KK were both overrated on draft day due to having size and being centers.

Caufield was underrated due to his size and being a winger. But now that he's continuing to get his against college players, I think he's elevated himself beyond where KK or Galchenyuk ever got to.

Reactions: dralaf

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Galchenyuk and KK were both overrated on draft day due to having size and being centers.

Caufield was underrated due to his size and being a winger. But now that he's continuing to get his against college players, I think he's elevated himself beyond where KK or Galchenyuk ever got to.

It's all guess work. How would KK look if we allowed him to play Liiga last year and started him in the AHL this year? Perception would be very different.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
It's all guess work. How would KK look if we allowed him to play Liiga last year and started him in the AHL this year? Perception would be very different.
What I look for in prospects is translatable traits. It just is so easy to picture Caufield as an elite sniper in the NHL. KK has alot in his game to improve upon before he ever even sniffs #1C territory. Doesn't matter where he's playing until he elevates those aspects of his game.

Reactions: atrud66

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
What I look for in prospects is translatable traits. It just is so easy to picture Caufield as an elite sniper in the NHL. KK has alot in his game to improve upon before he ever even sniffs #1C territory. Doesn't matter where he's playing until he elevates those aspects of his game.

Caufield could be another Skinner type or much better. I think he is a good one and likely our best prospect but it's guess work. He's doing very well in the NCAA as a 18 year old playing against men but it's just too dam hard to predict how much adjustment he will have when he turns pro with less time and space and more physicality to deal with. I do like the potential of Suzuki and Caufield playing together though.

Kotkaniemi should have not been inserted as a 18 year old. I though it was very premature. Can he fill into that frame and be a strong center? Hard to say at this stage. But the skill and IQ is clearly there. I just think the perception on him would be different if he played Liiga last year and AHL this year. Koivu was talking about this recently and I've been saying the same thing for over a year now with KK

otto bond

Jan 8, 2007
Goals
Player, TeamNo.Season
Mike Donnelly, Michigan State591986
Dave Merhar, Army571959
Jerry Walker, Denver561961
Dates Fryberger, Middlebury561961
Tim Harrer, Minnesota531980
Brett Hull, Minnesota Duluth521986
Bob Joyce, North Dakota521987
Jack Gary, Boston U.511950
Tom Ross, Michigan State511976
Ed Beers, Denver501982
Bill Watson, Minnesota Duluth491985
Scott Burfoot, Mercyhurst491991
Tom Roe, Williams491961
Mark Johnson, Wisconsin481978
Pat Micheletti, Minnesota481985
Kip Miller, Michigan State481990
Scott Beattie, Northern Michigan481991
Ron Ryan, Colby481961
Four times, most recent:
Aaron Broten, Minnesota
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Sadly, only recognize Hull

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Caufield could be another Skinner type or much better. I think he is a good one and likely our best prospect but it's guess work. He's doing very well in the NCAA as a 18 year old playing against men but it's just too dam hard to predict how much adjustment he will have when he turns pro with less time and space and more physicality to deal with. I do like the potential of Suzuki and Caufield playing together though.

Kotkaniemi should have not been inserted as a 18 year old. I though it was very premature. Can he fill into that frame and be a strong center? Hard to say at this stage. But the skill and IQ is clearly there. I just think the perception on him would be different if he played Liiga last year and AHL this year. Koivu was talking about this recently and I've been saying the same thing for over a year now with KK
The perception might be different, but his issues would still be the same.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The perception might be different, but his issues would still be the same.

The issues would be lower on the radar cause we didn't rush him and he would be producing more in development leagues IMO. Would we be talking about KK being like Bambi if he played Liiga last year and AHL this year? Possible yes but by having him play NHL, the measurement bar of expectations has the pressure dial knob turned higher. It's what our fan base does all the time

Not crazy upset about it all but it was premature by our management.

I do like Caufield a lot. He's got a lot of test to pass along the way. So far he has passed the age 18 NCAA challenge. Next is WJC and after that, it's turning pro. KK jumped a few test periods

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
The issues would be lower on the radar cause we didn't rush him and he would be producing more in development leagues IMO. Would we be talking about KK being like Bambi if he played Liiga last year and AHL this year? Possible yes but by having him play NHL, the measurement bar of expectations has the pressure dial knob turned higher. It's what our fan base does all the time

Not crazy upset about it all but it was premature by our management.

I do like Caufield a lot. He's got a lot of test to pass along the way. So far he has passed the age 18 NCAA challenge. Next is WJC and after that, it's turning pro. KK jumped a few test periods
"Perceptions" "issues lower on our radar" "talking about KK being bambi"....

Do any of these things matter though? The bottom line is whether KK was producing in Liiga or not, and whether we perceived him as some stud if he was, the fact of the matter is there are issues in KKs game that are preventing him from being succesful in the NHL right now, and those issues would be present no matter where he was playing.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
"Perceptions" "issues lower on our radar" "talking about KK being bambi"....

Do any of these things matter though? The bottom line is whether KK was producing in Liiga or not, and whether we perceived him as some stud if he was, the fact of the matter is there are issues in KKs game that are preventing him from being succesful in the NHL right now, and those issues would be present no matter where he was playing.

It will be very interesting to look back when all those kids are 23+. I can see meh results, average results, or very good results.

I do see a lot of movement in value from year to year moving forward though. Habs fans are just trendy with zoomed in small sample sizes. Step back and the bigger picture means more

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad