Prospect Info: Cole Caufield (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I saw people in the last thread post about him being convinced to sign and play at the end of this season or next season in the NHL. God I hope not, time to stop rushing prospects into the NHL...let them develop properly.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I saw people in the last thread post about him being convinced to sign and play at the end of this season or next season in the NHL. God I hope not, time to stop rushing prospects into the NHL...let them develop properly.

It's deeper than just that. If he wants to sign the ELC at the end of this year and we say no, we run the risk of upsetting him and he decides to screw us over and become a UFA like Fox just did.

I agree with your approach but careful management needs to be done with NCAA talent.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
It's deeper than just that. If he wants to sign the ELC at the end of this year and we say no, we run the risk of upsetting him and he decides to screw us over and become a UFA like Fox just did.

I agree with your approach but careful management needs to be done with NCAA talent.

Of course that can happen but I don't see that being an issue with Caufield. Even if the Habs do say no to signing him at the end of this season I just can't see a talent like Caufield wasting these additional years waiting to become a UFA just because he's upset. He knows he's a very talented player and he'll likely want to maximize his NHL earning potential and wasting another 3 or so years before signing likely won't even be a consideration for him.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa

And if that happens that is not a good sign as it would show him having an ego and a me first attitude.

Reactions: cphabs

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Of course that can happen but I don't see that being an issue with Caufield. Even if the Habs do say no to signing him at the end of this season I just can't see a talent like Caufield wasting these additional years waiting to become a UFA just because he's upset. He knows he's a very talented player and he'll likely want to maximize his NHL earning potential and wasting another 3 or so years before signing likely won't even be a consideration for him.

If you were GM, you would gamble on that?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
And if that happens that is not a good sign as it would show him having an ego and a me first attitude.

I don't think it's a selfish attitude, more along the lines of confidence! He's not known as a selfish type of player and he has good character from what I can see. He's got the it factor and wants to play. Suzuki has that as well.

I'd sign the ELC if he ask. Then we give him a shot in practice and see how he does. If he looks good, he gets a game in a sheltered role. If he still looks good, you give him more opportunity. If he needs more development time, he plays AHL. It's not a terrible situation.

I'm not buying the Habs can't draft and develop narrative. I know some believe that and that is their prerogative. I think they could be better but I don't believe we are rushing them with a mindset of they don't care about their development.

Last edited:
Reactions: dralaf

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

he's going to sign 100%. As for rushing him why stop now since the Habs under MB have rushed every top prospect to the NHL at some point.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
If you were GM, you would gamble on that?

Depends. If Caufield tells MB if you don't sign me at the end of this season, so I can burn 1 year off my ELC, I won't sign and will go to UFA in 3 or whatever years then of course I'd sign him at the end of the season. If though there's no impression that he won't sign in the summer then I'd rather wait and get the full ELC years with him.

I just can't see someone with Caufield's talent wasting 3 or whatever years of NHL earning potential to become a UFA but others may feel different and that's fine.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Depends. If Caufield tells MB if you don't sign me at the end of this season, so I can burn 1 year off my ELC, I won't sign and will go to UFA in 3 or whatever years then of course I'd sign him at the end of the season. If though there's no impression that he won't sign in the summer then I'd rather wait and get the full ELC years with him.

I just can't see someone with Caufield's talent wasting 3 or whatever years of NHL earning potential to become a UFA but others may feel different and that's fine.

It's not like the Poehling situation. Poehling was 20 when he signed and Caufield would be 19. In order for Caufield to burn his ELC, he has to play 10 NHL games cause he will be 19 in his signing year (not 20 like Poehling). Probability is he has to play in the playoffs for the Habs if he plays 10 NHL games.

- NCAA playoffs start Mar 6th
- NCAA Regional's start March 27th
- Frozen 4 is Apr 9th - 11th
- Habs play last 4 NHL regular season games on Mar 28th, Mar 31st, Apr 1st, Apr 4th.

Hard to say how far the Badgers go. We can't make any decisions right now so lets wait till March to talk about this more in depth. But if he is burning his ELC, he has to play 10 NHL games. We should not say no if he ask us for a contract. You don't treat your best prospect that way

Reactions: Gains and sheed36

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
as for right now Wisconsin is on the bubble to even make the NCAA tournament so they will need to pick it up. They had had a really tough schedule so we'll see as it should get a little easier. If they are on the outside looking in then the only way they could get into the tournament would be if they won the Big Ten Championship.

So for those that don't follow the NCAA, each conference has their playoffs and the winner of that conference gets an auto bid to the NCAA tournament no matter where they are ranked. 16 teams make the tournament, so if you are ranked 15th but 2 teams ranked below you win their conference then you get bounced and won't make the tournament. So you don't want to be on the bubble as then it comes down to strength of schedule and it gets much more complicated (if you are on the bubble but didn't get knocked out by a team getting an auto bid)

Reactions: dralaf

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
It's not like the Poehling situation. Poehling was 20 when he signed and Caufield would be 19. In order for Caufield to burn his ELC, he has to play 10 NHL games cause he will be 19 in his signing year (not 20 like Poehling). Probability is he has to play in the playoffs for the Habs if he plays 10 NHL games.

- NCAA playoffs start Mar 6th
- NCAA Regional's start March 27th
- Frozen 4 is Apr 9th - 11th
- Habs play last 4 NHL regular season games on Mar 28th, Mar 31st, Apr 1st, Apr 4th.

Hard to say how far the Badgers go. We can't make any decisions right now so lets wait till March to talk about this more in depth. But if he is burning his ELC, he has to play 10 NHL games. We should not say no if he ask us for a contract. You don't treat your best prospect that way

I wasn't aware of the different NCAA age rules so if that's the case with Caufield then it would make sense to sign him at the end of the season if he wants to sign. I just learned something new today so thanks for that. :thumbu:

I'm sure it'll work out for both the Habs and Caufield when the time comes to make a decision so I'm not worried.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I wasn't aware of the different NCAA age rules so if that's the case with Caufield then it would make sense to sign him at the end of the season if he wants to sign. I just learned something new today so thanks for that. :thumbu:

I'm sure it'll work out for both the Habs and Caufield when the time comes to make a decision so I'm not worried.

It's all good. Nobody should jump on your back for wanting our prospects to develop more and come into the NHL more mature. The issue is the NCAA top talent dictate their path or you lose them (potentially).

We can re-visit this conversation and what is best in March. We get to see what Caufield does all season and how far he goes with the Badgers. I think they are ranked 16th right now

Reactions: sheed36

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Wisconsin is playing the University of Minnesota next. This looks like a younger and weaker team than Notre Dame and Penn State...on paper anyways. He also faced Cale Morris and Peyton Jones the last two weekends. Those are two of the better goalies in the Big 10 conference. Hopefully he can pot a few this weekend.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
he's going to sign 100%. As for rushing him why stop now since the Habs under MB have rushed every top prospect to the NHL at some point.
This is true some of been able to somewhat succeed while others not so much...ugh.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I don't think it's a selfish attitude, more along the lines of confidence! He's not known as a selfish type of player and he has good character from what I can see. He's got the it factor and wants to play. Suzuki has that as well.

I'd sign the ELC if he ask. Then we give him a shot in practice and see how he does. If he looks good, he gets a game in a sheltered role. If he still looks good, you give him more opportunity. If he needs more development time, he plays AHL. It's not a terrible situation.

I'm not buying the Habs can't draft and develop narrative. I know some believe that and that is their prerogative. I think they could be better but I don't believe we are rushing them with a mindset of they don't care about their development.
The selfish part is saying sign me now or I go back into the draft.

JoelWarlord

Ex-Noob616
May 7, 2012
Halifax
So what? I want a goal scorer with an ego that thinks he's good enough to play in the NHL right away and doesn't want to be jerked around and waste more time in college.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Signed or not that's the least of my concerns. Let's see his evolution. I'm not sharing the same way of thinking alike our organization on rushing prospects. Otherwise, I'll contradict myself.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell

Can't be surprised about his intentions though... this is the guy who smashed pre-draft interviews with his confidence, and had this attitude towards school / 1st season in Wisconsin (4:23):

Didn't pick a major before he got there. School is "part of it". We'll just see what happens after the first year there. All relevant quotes.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
So what? I want a goal scorer with an ego that thinks he's good enough to play in the NHL right away and doesn't want to be jerked around and waste more time in college.
Waste time in college? Somebody better let this kid know how our “development” program handles offensive players... that need work on defense.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The selfish part is saying sign me now or I go back into the draft.

It's negotiation leverage for top NCAA talent and they all do it. I don't like how the NCAA players can do this but it's the rules and they are allowed. I don't think it's selfish, it's what anybody would do in his shoes.

He doesn't go back in the draft, he becomes a UFA talent. Not sure how many seasons he has to have though. Think he would have to play another year in the NCAA at least.

I no problems with his character and talent. The problem is the NHL/CBA contract with the NCAA.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
Can't be surprised about his intentions though... this is the guy who smashed pre-draft interviews with his confidence, and had this attitude towards school / 1st season in Wisconsin (4:23):

Didn't pick a major before he got there. School is "part of it". We'll just see what happens after the first year there. All relevant quotes.

Lol. He was drafted 15th OA. He was the biggest faller in the draft. That’s the definition of ‘failing’.

That’s like killing it in a job interview, not getting the job and meeting the guy who got the job and thinking ‘they preferred him to me’? Maybe,I have things to work on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad