Confirmed with Link: [COL/SEA] Avs Acquire D Kurtis MacDermid for 2023 4th round pick

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
MacDermid got called for a couple of penalties last night because of his sheer size and strength.

I loved how he was jawing at the zebra's and the Peg players last night after Jost got assaulted.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
You think the guys don’t like seeing Trouba, Gudas, et al turn tail and run from a guy on their squad? Or knowing they have a guy that even Reaves and Wilson are reluctant to go with when things get greasy? Fans seem to think it doesn’t matter but the players say it does.
Those guys just laugh their ass off when MacDermid gets off the ice after his once a period shift and then get back to conducting their headshots.

Yeah the players love all of their teammates. How often do you hear any of them say otherwise? What about when MacK said one of Naz’s best chirps was “if you get 8 minutes toi tonight I’ll fight you” and don’t y'all think that’s pretty applicable here?

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Yeah the only thing I’ve seen MacDermid prevent is retaliations. Plenty of big hits have happened, but all Macdermid does is prevent whatever happens after that.

That's what he's getting paid for. Big hits are still going to happen but it keeps the cheap stuff afterwards down. Like last night when Seuss ragdolled Jost a bit, got grabbed by MacDermid, then Seuss looks up and sees who's right there and immediately steps back and tries to head back to the bench. He's not skilled by any means but if his presence keeps from another incident like what Reaves did to Graves in the playoffs then I'm all for it.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
That's what he's getting paid for. Big hits are still going to happen but it keeps the cheap stuff afterwards down. Like last night when Seuss ragdolled Jost a bit, got grabbed by MacDermid, then Seuss looks up and sees who's right there and immediately steps back and tries to head back to the bench. He's not skilled by any means but if his presence keeps from another incident like what Reaves did to Graves in the playoffs then I'm all for it.

How is it that people need to have this explained. It's plain as day why he's here and who can fault JS for thinking about this?

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Would you rather Bednar play Kaut 6 minutes a night? Or MacDermid?

Actually would take MacDermid over Kaut.

I think he's fine as a 13th forward. The question is when we are fully healthy(Unlikely but you never know, we are kind of close right now), who sits for him in games where we feel his presence is needed?

Fully healthy right now we're looking at:

Landy - Mack - Mikko
Nuke - Kadri - Bura
LOC - Newhook - Compher
Helm - Jost - NAK

I guess one of Helm or NAK.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Yeah the only thing I’ve seen MacDermid prevent is retaliations. Plenty of big hits have happened, but all Macdermid does is prevent whatever happens after that.
That’s because the Av that just got hit is in the dark room.

When he full on ran over Helly no one did anything to him.
Because their team was getting a power play, which they scored on.

There’s plenty of nice guy, good in the room, great teammates rotting away in the AHL so those factors alone are not enough to justify this made up importance. The opposition flat out does not get deterred by a guy who plays 4 shifts a night which is why head shots keep happening despite him in the lineup and why guys who are actually on the ice have to take care of business. The fact that MacDermid’s father played with Sakic is just as much of a factor in this.

Last edited:
Reactions: McMetal

HartKinnon

Nov 25, 2010

There’s plenty of nice guy, good in the room, great teammates rotting away in the AHL so those factors alone are not enough to justify this made up importance. The opposition flat out does not get deterred by a guy who plays 4 shifts a night which is why head shots keep happening despite him in the lineup and why guys who are actually on the ice have to take care of business. The fact that MacDermid’s father played with Sakic is just as much of a factor in this.

Yeah we get it that you dont like MacDermid.

If some 4th liner runs over your number one goalie in the first couple of minutes of the game you pummel the shit out of that guy even if it negates your upcoming powerplay.

For me MacDermid earned his presence in the roster for the rest of the season when Avs played againts Rangers and Reaves for the first time in his career againt Avs didnt do anything. He knew what would happen if he did something. MacDermid has an unique asset that may not be needed every game but you are glad to have it when the time comes.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I’ve said before and I’ll say again that the deterrent thing is and always will be bullshit. The two best fighters I’ve ever seen on ice were Derek Boogaard and Rick Rypien and neither of them did a damn thing to prevent their teammates from getting run.

They’re also both dead, but that’s a story for another day.

So long as the Avs can get something out of him, it’s fine I guess. A few good hits on the forecheck, a fight to kinda get his teammates pumped, and the PERCEPTION that they now have a guy in their corner who can throw down, and he’ll have earned his paycheck. Just keep him off the damned blueline.

The one time he appeared to be a real factor in purely hockey terms was when he seemed to throw Trouba off his game, but one could argue that Trouba makes dumb decisions like that all the time.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
He proved his effectiveness as a forward against the Rangers and sometimes you simply need that size and physicality in the playoffs. I always look at Z in the Calgary series as a perfect example. He virtually erased Tkachuk from the equation with his physicality alone. Now the two are certainly different calibers of player, but the point remains. Why stress about a prospect getting the handful of minutes MacDermid gets? Neither are going to produce in that role anyway, so just take the guy with the imposing presence and let it be.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
It’s a morale thing more than anything else. I agree with some of the above that he needs to be getting in on the forecheck to be in the lineup consistently, which I think he’s done a better job of recently.

But, he’s clearly a likeable guy and the team enjoys seeing him manhandle the opposition every now and then.

JH21

Oct 20, 2019

You couldn't be more wrong.

This team was soft. It was no secret. We were easy to play against.

If you don't think enforcers don't change the way teams play us then you haven't watched hockey long enough. Wayne Gretzky was able to skate around and never get touched because he had Dave Semenko protecting him. Hell, when he got traded to LA he wouldn't go unless his bodyguard Marty McSoreley went with him.

But enforcers don't just change the way teams play us, they also change the way our players play. It's the old analogy of having the toughest friend in the bar. You can literally do anything you want because your friend will pummel anyone.

MacDermid should never be taken out of the lineup.

GoNordiquesGo

Oct 1, 2016
Montreal, Quebec
Its just like most things in life. You have to forget about the extremes.
Its not true to he nulifies all cheap shot and physicality against the Avs.
And its not true that he is not at all a deterent in that department.
The reality is somewhere in between. Some opponents will not be deterred at all. Others will absolutely be deterred to a certain degree.
So bottom line is that he has some positive effect in that regards, the quantum of it is debatable and variable based on who they are playing against. But given that winning inthe playoffs is our ultimate goal and physicality is known to play a bigger role inthe playoffs, any gain in that department is a positive that I'm very happy to have obtained.
But I do wish that this stuff was not part of hockey. It is much less part of it than it was in the past but it is still a factor. Whishing that it wasn't doesn't make it go away. And supporting the principle that enforcers shoudn't be part of the game doesn't mean that in 2021-2022 they are absolutely useless.
I'm glad we have him on the team, but only is he plays forward. Because I think that on the Defense, his dowside is greater than his upside.

ANewHope

Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
May 26, 2011
I’ve always just sided with the players on things like this. Who I am to tell them there wrong. Obviously much different but even when you played at lower levels you always loved having those guys on the team.

As long as he’s a forward he’s fine. We’ve seen the impact when he had Trouba running around. Getting ragdolled less in scrums. Less cheap shots. Your never going to remove big hits/every cheap shot. Especially with a guy who’s plays that little but your kidding yourself if you don’t think he’s improved those things a little bit at the very least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad