Confirmed with Link: [COL/SEA] Avs Acquire D Kurtis MacDermid for 2023 4th round pick

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I'm not a huge MacDermid fan but if he's not on D, whatever. I'm fine with him playing as the 12th/13th forward on a team that clearly got pushed around the last *checks notes* three seasons they've been a high-end team.

This guy isn't going to magically solve the Avs' problems, but he makes everyone play bigger. It's just a fact. Every hockey player will tell you they feel invincible when they know there's a 6'6 230 pound straight up goon ready to watch their backs whenever they're playing.

He'll never be a "deterrent" because those aren't real. They've never existed. Even Gretzky had guys take runs at him when Dave Semenko was on his line. But that Jets game showed exactly what MacDermid is here to do. The guy ran over Hellebuyck with no regard at all, and what happened? Josh Morrissey just skated away. Nobody does that. Players will jump on you, face wash you, punch you, whatever if you run a goalie like that. Nobody dared. Same for when he hammered Perfetti. Guys thought it was f***ing Tyson Jost and attacked him. MacDermid shows up and everything stops, literally every Jets player puts his head down and skates away.

He's doing his job. I hope he scores soon.

Snow Arc

We have to shout above the din of our RiceCrispies
Aug 14, 2020
I was hoping he would grow on me and felt that minutes at forward (hated him on D) would give us a good look. He's got good face, as they say. I feel he adds an element and is worth the slot.

ANewHope

Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
May 26, 2011
He'll never be a "deterrent" because those aren't real. They've never existed

I agree there's never been anybody to take away every cheap shot. I think that's always been overplayed. There's absolutely been players who make guys think twice tho. You'll never sign anybody who will completely eliminate other teams taking runs at you but you can sign players like MacDermid who make those plays happen less frequently and we've already seen it. You hear players talk about it themselves over the years. How if so and so was on the ice they'd double check. Nobody was ever going to make Gretzky completely untouchable but they certainly made it happen alot less than it would have without them.

I do think players like that can also escalate things tho which MacDermid has done a good job of not doing. If you have a guy that makes the other team think twice but also has a tendency to make things become a shit show it's obviously not a positive.

LurkerMcgee

Oct 6, 2020
I'm not a huge MacDermid fan but if he's not on D, whatever. I'm fine with him playing as the 12th/13th forward on a team that clearly got pushed around the last *checks notes* three seasons they've been a high-end team.

This guy isn't going to magically solve the Avs' problems, but he makes everyone play bigger. It's just a fact. Every hockey player will tell you they feel invincible when they know there's a 6'6 230 pound straight up goon ready to watch their backs whenever they're playing.

He'll never be a "deterrent" because those aren't real. They've never existed. Even Gretzky had guys take runs at him when Dave Semenko was on his line. But that Jets game showed exactly what MacDermid is here to do. The guy ran over Hellebuyck with no regard at all, and what happened? Josh Morrissey just skated away. Nobody does that. Players will jump on you, face wash you, punch you, whatever if you run a goalie like that. Nobody dared. Same for when he hammered Perfetti. Guys thought it was f***ing Tyson Jost and attacked him. MacDermid shows up and everything stops, literally every Jets player puts his head down and skates away.

He's doing his job. I hope he scores soon.
He could be huge tonight against the leafs. No pun intended. Ah who am I kidding I came here just to say this. That and I agree with you.

Postanin CB Ting

Apr 6, 2012
I hope the next time we run up a score 3 or 4 + goals we throw him out on PP1 in Landys spot. Mack n Makar just try to bounce shots off him and in.

Boys would be stoked ! Prob even more than that LA vid. More feel good vibes

Edit.. Add me to the side who thinks he does play a roll and can affect games in a positive way, at 12/13F.

Reactions: Alienblood

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
I’ve said before and I’ll say again that the deterrent thing is and always will be bullshit. The two best fighters I’ve ever seen on ice were Derek Boogaard and Rick Rypien and neither of them did a damn thing to prevent their teammates from getting run.

They’re also both dead, but that’s a story for another day.

So long as the Avs can get something out of him, it’s fine I guess. A few good hits on the forecheck, a fight to kinda get his teammates pumped, and the PERCEPTION that they now have a guy in their corner who can throw down, and he’ll have earned his paycheck. Just keep him off the damned blueline.

The one time he appeared to be a real factor in purely hockey terms was when he seemed to throw Trouba off his game, but one could argue that Trouba makes dumb decisions like that all the time.
You missed a lot of great fighters then.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I’ve said before and I’ll say again that the deterrent thing is and always will be bullshit. The two best fighters I’ve ever seen on ice were Derek Boogaard and Rick Rypien and neither of them did a damn thing to prevent their teammates from getting run.

They’re also both dead, but that’s a story for another day.

So long as the Avs can get something out of him, it’s fine I guess. A few good hits on the forecheck, a fight to kinda get his teammates pumped, and the PERCEPTION that they now have a guy in their corner who can throw down, and he’ll have earned his paycheck. Just keep him off the damned blueline.

The one time he appeared to be a real factor in purely hockey terms was when he seemed to throw Trouba off his game, but one could argue that Trouba makes dumb decisions like that all the time.

Lol but how would you know they didn't deter something from happening that didn't end up happening (or happening more)???

You may not agree with it or actually see it but I absolutely do see it. The other night in Winnipeg when he ran over Helluvabuick and no one from the Jets did anything, it felt like we were finally on the other side of it when stuff like that used to happen to us years ago with Byfuglien.

Personally, I prefer overall tougher and grittier 3rd and 4th liners that can actually also play and contribute and I've been a proponent of acquiring these types for years now but I'll take a presence like MacDermid if it's going to mean stopping nonsensical stuff like that reaves-Graves hair pulling stuff from happening (and it would have, had he been part of the team last year).

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Lol but how would you know they didn't deter something from happening that didn't end up happening (or happening more)???

You may not agree with it or actually see it but I absolutely do see it. The other night in Winnipeg when he ran over Helluvabuick and no one from the Jets did anything, it felt like we were finally on the other side of it when stuff like that used to happen to us years ago with Byfuglien.

Personally, I prefer overall tougher and grittier 3rd and 4th liners that can actually also play and contribute and I've been a proponent of acquiring these types for years now but I'll take a presence like MacDermid if it's going to mean stopping nonsensical stuff like that reaves-Graves hair pulling stuff from happening (and it would have, had he been part of the team last year).

All due respect, that argument that can’t be proven or disproven is exactly how goons stay employed even though they can’t actually play hockey.

I don’t see how a guy taking an insanely dumb penalty on a team with one of the worst penalty kills in the league is somehow a good thing.

And it’s actually been proven time and time again, Tom Wilson does nothing to deter a guy like Brad Marchand picking his spots and taking runs at guys, no one ever stopped Raffi Torres from attempting to end players’ careers until the league finally said “enough” and basically gave him a lifetime suspension.

And THAT, by the way, is the only real deterrent. Wilson’s latest suspension for that bullshit with Panarin appears to have prompted him to tone down the targeted hits.

If the Avs players told Sakic they wanted a tough guy and he obliged so that there’s a perception among the team of protection, fine, but that’s all it is, a perception. If that’s what it takes for this team to feel more emboldened and what not, I suppose that’s worth a fourth rounder.

I agree that a tougher bottom six that dishes out punishment is probably necessary for the postseason, but MacDermid doesn’t even reach that low bar. Because he’s not a legit NHL player.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
After he beat up Reaves. He must be the talk of the league. There will never be 100% proof but games such as that 6-1 game against the jets where it simply ends and the avs skate away easily with a win without any cheapshots or fights, I think you would not see that without him in the lineup. Also he just seems to add an element to the avs. They could be called a tough team whereas without him they might be pushed around a bit more

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
All due respect, that argument that can’t be proven or disproven is exactly how goons stay employed even though they can’t actually play hockey.

I don’t see how a guy taking an insanely dumb penalty on a team with one of the worst penalty kills in the league is somehow a good thing.

And it’s actually been proven time and time again, Tom Wilson does nothing to deter a guy like Brad Marchand picking his spots and taking runs at guys, no one ever stopped Raffi Torres from attempting to end players’ careers until the league finally said “enough” and basically gave him a lifetime suspension.

And THAT, by the way, is the only real deterrent. Wilson’s latest suspension for that bullshit with Panarin appears to have prompted him to tone down the targeted hits.

If the Avs players told Sakic they wanted a tough guy and he obliged so that there’s a perception among the team of protection, fine, but that’s all it is, a perception. If that’s what it takes for this team to feel more emboldened and what not, I suppose that’s worth a fourth rounder.

I agree that a tougher bottom six that dishes out punishment is probably necessary for the postseason, but MacDermid doesn’t even reach that low bar. Because he’s not a legit NHL player.

It does keep certain guys in check. Reaves was taking huge runs at our defensemen until MacDermid lit him up. After that he still went and finished his checks, but nowhere near the level he was doing it before the fight. It takes away the 'I can do whatever the hell I want and get away with it' mentality, along with a fight calming down the game a bit. But I agree it's never going to prevent cheap shots or completely preventing injuries. Ideally the league would pull it's head out of it's ass and start handing out way more suspensions to clean up the game, but that obviously isn't happening.

If we're healthy, i'm completely fine with MacDermid playing 4-6 minutes most nights as we have more than enough players that are capable of eating up the rest of the minutes.

Jazzguitar

Feb 25, 2012
Denver
After he beat up Reaves. He must be the talk of the league. There will never be 100% proof but games such as that 6-1 game against the jets where it simply ends and the avs skate away easily with a win without any cheapshots or fights, I think you would not see that without him in the lineup. Also he just seems to add an element to the avs. They could be called a tough team whereas without him they might be pushed around a bit more
The Av's were getting pushed around A LOT the past few years and were very soft, it's literally why I have a teddy bear for my avatar. I've actually thought about changing it because they are a tougher team with him.

Edit: the teddy bear is good luck too, also why I haven't changed it lol.

Reactions: frog

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
We forget too that hockey players know each other. Maybe some of the guys knew and liked MacDermid as a person prior to the season and suggested it to Sakic, because for a guy with minimal ice time and contributions, he seems really popular here

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
He's bad at D, not great at F, but damn... his presence on the ice is unrivaled. He makes me laugh (in a good way) most games by just being an absolute man-monster. Last night showed his worth. If it hadn't been him to lay the smack down then it would have to have been Landy or ... Kadri? They are worth more to us on the ice than in the box for 10. MacDermid did his thing and did it well.

LakewoodAvsFan

Oct 16, 2019
Lakewood, CO
He's bad at D, not great at F, but damn... his presence on the ice is unrivaled. He makes me laugh (in a good way) most games by just being an absolute man-monster. Last night showed his worth. If it hadn't been him to lay the smack down then it would have to have been Landy or ... Kadri? They are worth more to us on the ice than in the box for 10. MacDermid did his thing and did it well.
Maybe part of Kadri's success this year is due to being able to shut off that part of his brain where it is his responsibility to stick up for his teammates... and it is a contract year.....$$$$$$$$$

More brain power to the scoring part of the brain ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad