Confirmed with Link: [COL/SEA] Avs Acquire D Kurtis MacDermid for 2023 4th round pick

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
I never expected to be an actual everyday player but what exactly has he done? I can’t remember him throwing a single hit, never gotten in a fight and hell has he even been in a scrum after the whistle? I think he’d be nominated for the Lady Byng if the season ended today.

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
That's alright. You and Brendan Lemieux are stuck outside the playoffs for another few years. Have fun with that.
We might be on the outside looking in as well if we keep play MacD on defense. 1-4 with him in the lineup...

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
He was acquired as an overreaction to the Vegas series. In the first regular season game against Vegas, they openly mocked him and laughed at the Avs for how bad he is.

Just take the L and get him out of here.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
But guys, I was told his mere presence on the roster would INITIMIDATE other teams into not taking liberties with our players. That has to have some value, right?

Right?

Reactions: The Moops

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
On top of being a really, really shitty defenseman and the worst player in the NHL at present, he's unable to utilize what few gifts he DOES have because Bednar inexplicably doesn't f***ing know that when you have a goon, you don't tell him to adhere to tight, structured hockey. You let him loose and tell him to raise hell, hit some guys. The Kings knew this, and that's why you saw him level players at least once a game. He still sucked for them too, but at least he was the "intimidator" that he was meant to be.

Avs just blindly went out and got a tough guy they have no idea how to use.

Reactions: klozge

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
On top of being a really, really shitty defenseman and the worst player in the NHL at present, he's unable to utilize what few gifts he DOES have because Bednar inexplicably doesn't f***ing know that when you have a goon, you don't tell him to adhere to tight, structured hockey. You let him loose and tell him to raise hell, hit some guys. The Kings knew this, and that's why you saw him level players at least once a game. He still sucked for them too, but at least he was the "intimidator" that he was meant to be.

Avs just blindly went out and got a tough guy they have no idea how to use.
Yeah, I'm guessing Bednar sat him down and told him that if he ever got a penalty from playing physical like Z, he'd bench him the same. So we get a neutered, trash player.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Yeah, I'm guessing Bednar sat him down and told him that if he ever got a penalty from playing physical like Z, he'd bench him the same. So we get a neutered, trash player.

Yep, if you want to play tougher then you have to deal with the consequences (i.e., penalties). The Bolts are continually one of the most penalized teams in hockey, and they don't care.

That kinda tells me that Bednar doesn't have the utmost faith in the PK and goaltending, nor should he. If you want to be a team that bullies the opposition, you have to be able to weather penalties. It works for teams like Vegas because they know they'll eventually get the calls evened out.

Reactions: The Moops

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
Roll call on this thread for who hated this trade.

We got a guy to change how teams play us and protect our guys for a measly 4th round pick and guys hated it.

Morons.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I liked that he won the fight. But he still flubbed a two on one, made a horrible pass that almost caused Makar to have a turn over. In general, I'm terrified that he's gonna cause goals against when he's on the ice.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I didn’t know before tonight how badly I want a MacDermid goal for the lulz. He had so many decent chances tonight I couldn’t believe he found himself in those situations.

Also the look on Trouba’s face when MacDermid was shit kicking Reaves was worth the 4th rounder alone.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
He's been ok, but he's clearly a liability, and he shouldn't play as much as he did tonight.

Barron looks good. Maybe he sticks with the team and MacD can eat nachos

Reactions: 22FUTON9

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
He's been ok, but he's clearly a liability, and he shouldn't play as much as he did tonight.

Barron looks good. Maybe he sticks with the team and MacD can eat nachos

I agree he shouldn’t be on D, but from what I watched he wasn’t a complete shit show tonight and we really don’t have anyone else right now with Byram, Toews, Murray and MacDonald all down. I’d much prefer him at forward but we’ll probably have to make due until someone comes back.

Reactions: AvsFan29

Oblivion Beckons

Jan 20, 2021
Roll call on this thread for who hated this trade.

We got a guy to change how teams play us and protect our guys for a measly 4th round pick and guys hated it.

Morons.

Seeing him beat Reaves was fun but that doesn't change the fact he blows as an NHL player and has cost the Avs multiple goals against this season.

Reactions: McMetal

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
MacDermid is playing on a new teem in a system thats 10x faster than any previous team he's been on. He's never going to be good out there, but he's improving each game.

Plus he made Reaves his bitch, that's easily worth a 4th in my books. I know I was against an enforcer, but maybe it's not a coincidence that Reaves wasn't being a dirty POS trying to board Makar + Girard all night like he normally does.

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
Aren't you a Ryan Graves fan?

Moron

Yes. Because I have opinions of my own and don't regurgitate what everyone else says in here.

Graves is a legit top 4 Dman. Anyone who says otherwise is a moron.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I said this in the trade thread, but I'm fine with MacDermid as long as they keep him up front. Playing him as a D just gives him too much time and with how reliant the Avs are on the D transitioning play it's putting him in a position to fail. As a 4th liner he brings that intimidation and the occasional good hit, just surround him with two guys with speed/tenacity that are going to let him do well (plus, that's what the team needs anyways).

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
MacDermid's passing and puck skill isn't that terrible either, which is pleasantly surprising. Better in this area than I was expecting, and better than other heavyweight enforcers the Avs have used in the past.

He's not among the best on the team by any means, but every time his D partner passes him the puck and he has to make an outlet pass, I get a bit worried, but then he makes a decent outlet pass with calmness.

His teammates seem to trust him too. They don't pass up passing to him because they're worried he's going to turn the puck over. I've seen Girard dish off to him on the breakout multiple times, where if he was really worried about his skills, he would just skate it out himself. But the better play was to give the puck to MacDermid with more open ice.

Even showed some decent instincts jumping into the rush recently. He just got his shot deflected wide.

His weakness is mainly trying to defend the rush on defense. He gets walked around a little too easily. Occasionally he struggles with his positioning defending the cycle too.

Other than that he's not really a huge liability. He doesn't even let his emotions get out of control and take bad penalties. This is enough though for him to be played at forward instead of defense if they want him in the lineup.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4