Confirmed with Link: [COL/SEA] Avs Acquire D Kurtis MacDermid for 2023 4th round pick

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
The most impressive thing with him so far is he doesn't seem to take bad penalties. This is surprising for a player like that.

Even when guys are chirping him about being bad at hockey or something, he just smiles and seems to not care at all.

That lack of ego probably helps him not get too carried away trying to seek revenge or impose his will on other teams.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
He's a five minutes a game winger in games where you need to make a physical statement. On the other hand Maltsev, Megna and Sherwood aren't that appetizing alternatives either.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I like him more and more. Playing him as our 12th forward (where he can't really hurt us) instead of defense makes a huge difference.

Also it really seems like players are playing differently because they know he's there. Now we can take a big lead without the fear of the other team taking runs at us. What happened last year vs Vegas in game #1 will not happen again.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Since the Trouba and Lomberg sequences he’s found his niche kn this team and it seems to be giving the squad more confidence

Reactions: JudoKoala

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Yeah honestly I don't care if Kurtis MacDermid ever scores a single point, if we're playing this well with him in the lineup then the change in team dynamic is well worth a 4th round pick

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
At least now he's hitting people on the forecheck, which is why it drove me nuts that he was used as a defenseman so that he couldn't do that. I can't even get too mad about the penalties (though running into Hellebuyck in the 1st was just plain stupid). The one he committed on Schmidt though, I mean, that's what a goon does.

He's still an uproariously bad hockey player, but at least he's now in a position where he doesn't actively hurt the team.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
You'd think we'd learn by now that most of Joe's moves deserve the benefit of the doubt and some time to see them come to fruition.

I'd be fine if we brought him back next year.

Avsavsavsavsavs

Nov 30, 2017
Haven't hated the acquisition, he's playing better than he did in the first 2 weeks of the season and well honestly I don't see our players taking the same abuse they normally do so maybe he is doing his job.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
How's Graves doing this year?

I haven't really watched him much, but seems as if he's doing fine if the underlying stats are any indication. Not a ton happening either way whenever he's on the ice, which you absolutely take anytime with Graves.

If any Devils defenders are earning the ire of the fanbase it's P.K. Slewban and Ty Smith. Smith especially has had a nightmare season thus far. And that's before we even get to the fact that NJ hasn't yet figured out that Mackenzie Blackwood sucks and MAYBE it was a really, really bad idea to give Bernier money and term.

RECKLESS

Apr 23, 2019
The coaching and himself have come to terms with his position in the system, and he can now fully utilize his strengths without being puzzled inside the game.
He's a tool (not meant negatively), and we've finally come to realize his role and the timing of his usage.

Reactions: Kaizer

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
giphy.gif

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I think we've settled the argument that the presence of someone like him in the lineup can still make a difference to the opposition. We've seen too much evidence for it.

Trouba running away from him and giving up a breakaway goal. Everyone getting docile during scrums instead of bullying the Avs like usual. Tom Wilson passing up a big hit on MacKinnon earlier in the season with him in the lineup.

Avs91

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2013
Wyoming
Avalanche Key to the Cup - Mr. Kurtis MacDermid

Who would have thought :laugh:, but to be serious I do think his presence has made an impact we were lacking

EDIT: him and LOC, holy smokes what an awesome player

Reactions: JudoKoala

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
The whole justification of his existence is truly mystifying. He’s playing less than ever now but somehow the mere thought of him is so much more effective! Sorcery!

You think the guys don’t like seeing Trouba, Gudas, et al turn tail and run from a guy on their squad? Or knowing they have a guy that even Reaves and Wilson are reluctant to go with when things get greasy? Fans seem to think it doesn’t matter but the players say it does.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
You think the guys don’t like seeing Trouba, Gudas, et al turn tail and run from a guy on their squad? Or knowing they have a guy that even Reaves and Wilson are reluctant to go with when things get greasy? Fans seem to think it doesn’t matter but the players say it does.

We've basically heard as much about the players on the team. They all love MacDermid. The leadership core probably asked to bring in a guy like him too I'd bet.

Players always feel bigger and more confident with a guy like that in the lineup.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
He still sucks but sucks less as a forward because he doesn't really hurt the team so it's whatever. The less the better though.

Reactions: McMetal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad