Proposal: Col/Mtl around Drouin for Byram

Newusername

Jun 26, 2013
I understand the idea of keeping byram, if he was a hab i wouldn't either. but some of the avalanche fans in here talking like hes a guaranteed first ballot HOF'r before hes even played a game
No one has said that or even came close to implying it. But you’re right, it is downright CRAZY that the avalanche aren’t willing to part with their best prospect for a 50 point winger

Illini Flyer

Jan 30, 2019
Near St Louis
How about 0 because he’s 24, signed long term at 5.5M, a local kid and simply ain’t getting traded. Colorado like Byram? Good for them. We like Drouin and we have no intention to move the guy unless the return is just too good to pass.

Everything has a price but Drouin’s certainly not draft picks or prospect.

Hey man, I think you guy's keeping him is the most realistic outcome. I'm just giving my thoughts on what it would take if he were to be traded.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
I understand the idea of keeping byram, if he was a hab i wouldn't either. but some of the avalanche fans in here talking like hes a guaranteed first ballot HOF'r before hes even played a game
To be honest everyone is somehow overrating their own prospect. Not long ago Caufield was in talk for the next best goalscorer in the league along with the likes of Matthews, Ovi, Pastrnak and so on. If you guys can use WCJ performances then I guess Caufield is about to bust hard considering how underwhelming he was. Byram is producing less but also looks better in his own zone we don't particularly need him to be the big offensive dman he was last year. We have Makar and Girard for that I would much rather have a good puck moving stay at home dman.

The reason why no Avs fans would trade Byram is because he's a cost controlled asset, expansion draft exempt and will be a need in our future top 4 considering that Zadorov will probably go this summer. Also we are the 3rd highest scoring team in the league (2 goals from 1st). While Drouin could be a nice addition he does bring salary with him, would require to be protected and it would also mean that the Avs gave up a position of weakness (well I think we need defense mostly in the future) for a forward. Those are the reasons why he wouldn't be traded for Byram I even doubt he's available at this point not because he's guaranteed first ballot HOF'r :sarcasm:

Bob9k

Feb 18, 2013
Quebec
No one has said that or even came close to implying it. But you’re right, it is downright CRAZY that the avalanche aren’t willing to part with their best prospect for a 50 point winger
It has never been mentionned that it would be a 1vs1 trade btw. That's why the title is "around" and not 1vs1. Add any prospect or picks to that trade. Nobody said JD is better that Byram. Well I surely didnt. That thread is in the optic Avs want to make a push this year and next year for a cup before losing some key element because of capspace. People just get stuck on a 1vs1 proposal when it's not. Can we all at least agree that in 2-3 years capspace is gonna be an issue? Makar will get the big pay as Rantanen did ans so will Byram if he is that great of a player. 9 to 10M a year isn't out of the question for top Dman with inflation in 2-3 year. Can't figure how you're gonna keep all these good player happy.

Newusername

Jun 26, 2013
:laugh:
It has never been mentionned that it would be a 1vs1 trade btw. That's why the title is "around" and not 1vs1. Add any prospect or picks to that trade. Nobody said JD is better that Byram. Well I surely didnt. That thread is in the optic Avs want to make a push this year and next year for a cup before losing some key element because of capspace. People just get stuck on a 1vs1 proposal when it's not. Can we all at least agree that in 2-3 years capspace is gonna be an issue? Makar will get the big pay as Rantanen did ans so will Byram if he is that great of a player. 9 to 10M a year isn't out of the question for top Dman with inflation in 2-3 year. Can't figure how you're gonna keep all these good player happy.
This is a lot, but I will address it. So who are you guys adding to make this trade worthwhile to the avs? Drouin+1st + Romanov for Byram + Jost? I can’t imagine we will agree on anything.
Who are these key pieces we will lose? I definitley don’t agree that cap space will be an issue for the avs, It might be an issue in 4 years when Mack signs his extension, but even then the cap will go up & we have lots of money off the books at the same time. If Byram is a 9/10 million dollar defenseman (imagine trading drouin for a 9/10 million dollar defenseman), well make room for him or we will trade him after his elc for an impact player at a position of need, because cost control is huge in this era. Don’t tell us we have cap issues, we know our team better than you do.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Easily....

Over the next 3 years the Avs have 13M essentially in dead cap space coming off the books alone. Orpik buyout(1.5M), Barrie retention(2.75M), Colin Wilson Permanent IR(2.6M), Ian Cole(4.25M), Buried Kevin Connauton(300k), Mark Barberio(1.45M), Nikita Zadorov(3.25M)...

Makar is the only guy on the roster getting a raise of higher than ~3M over the next 3 years.

Cap space is not a concern at all with the current makeup of this team, until Mackinnon needs a new deal in 4 years

Reactions: Kaizer

sens13

Mar 16, 2017
lol. typical habs fan. 50 point wingers aren't worth potential #1 d. How about you use some common sense?

if you guys want some laughs check out their board. A lot of high posts there. :laugh:

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
People: no one knows what Byram will be

Also people: Byram is so overrated.

Hmm...

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Hey man, I think you guy's keeping him is the most realistic outcome. I'm just giving my thoughts on what it would take if he were to be traded.

It really is. If Drouin was 31-32 years old then maybe it would be wise to trade the guy but he’s 24 and just entering his prime

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
MacKinnon doesn't need "chemistry". He plays like an angry Superman no matter who's on his line. That said, the Avs have several players better than Drouin to put with MacKinnon anyway, with enough left over for a second line where Drouin would probably be the odd man out. Drouin's not a prospect anymore; he is what he is. And he's not something that improves the Avs, especially at the expense of quality pieces.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Mtl seem to have too much center short term and D is a crying need. Col could go all the way this year and Byram is still young for now.

Plus: Drouin has a low cap for 4 more years at 5.5M. 24 years old. Chemistry with Mckinnon. Could be a good fit for him. Wouldn't have to be the main piece of a poor offense, meaning less pressure.

Byram could become what Mtl really needs in D eventually. Col already has Makar in that chair.

Minus: Mtl invest in a prospect again and lose a top forward for now.

Col lose a potential top D prospect.

What would need to be added to close this deal for Col to make that push to the Cup and for Mtl to get that missing piece in defense?

This makes no sense. Drouin isn't even a centre

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
even though byram is never getting moved, for fun i'll play along.

from a neutral observer this seems fair

Drouin
Romanov
Caufield

for
Jost
Byram

Reactions: Avaholic29

Kaiden Ghoul

Youppi va t’il devoir chauser ses patins calvaince
Jan 19, 2020
Remember when some ppl thought Drouin could be better than Mac ?

Byram could be a legit top pair guy or a number 3

I can understand if you don't want to move Byram for Drouin, but nothing is sure for Byram while Drouin could put 80 points on their top line, Landeskog and Kadri on the second line :popcorn:

Drouin got a good contract also. And only 24.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad