Proposal: Col/Mtl around Drouin for Byram

Bob9k

Feb 18, 2013
Quebec
Mtl seem to have too much center short term and D is a crying need. Col could go all the way this year and Byram is still young for now.

Plus: Drouin has a low cap for 4 more years at 5.5M. 24 years old. Chemistry with Mckinnon. Could be a good fit for him. Wouldn't have to be the main piece of a poor offense, meaning less pressure.

Byram could become what Mtl really needs in D eventually. Col already has Makar in that chair.

Minus: Mtl invest in a prospect again and lose a top forward for now.

Col lose a potential top D prospect.

What would need to be added to close this deal for Col to make that push to the Cup and for Mtl to get that missing piece in defense?

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Byram is not available for trade. It does not make sense to move him for anything remotely realistic.
Drouin certainly does not move the needle enough in that regard.

Avs are set up very well for the future if Byram and to a lesser extent Timmins come even close to what we hope they can.
It makes no sense to give up on that to bring in someone to play on our second line given that Byram should fill what is arguable our biggest need down the road (another quality top2-4 D to pair with Makar/Girard/X).

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I wouldn’t trade Drouin for any of Byram, Girard and especially not Timmins.

It’s also been discussed a lot. No need to go that route again

Reactions: Toastman

Bob9k

Feb 18, 2013
Quebec
Then would a Drouin+Romanov for Byram start the discussion? If Col D is a concern, I think Romanov could well fill that spot

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Then would a Drouin+Romanov for Byram start the discussion? If Col D is a concern, I think Romanov could well fill that spot

There is literally nothing in Montreal that would entice me to give up Byram. Stacking up quantity is going in the wrong direction if you're trying to pry a top prospect like Byram.

pockets

Thank you, Bill!
Aug 12, 2003
Green Mountain
What don’t you understand about Byram not being available for trade? Drouin doesn’t fill a need for the Avs while Byram is an expansion exempt, potential top pairing Dman on an ELC. Avs are salivating at the thought of having a Byram/Makar top pairing in the coming seasons.

Reactions: Ararana

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016

That’s even more laughable especially when you take into account Byram’s meh D+1

robicgi

Oct 17, 2018
That’s even more laughable especially when you take into account Byram’s meh D+1

He has all the tools but IMO seems lost on where to be most plays and he seems to chase the play. Seems like a player with a lot of risk but he does have upside , seems really over hyped from what I've seen in the wjc. That being said I agree with you and would want no part of Byram in a trade unless it's a lesser piece going back than Drouin.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003

Does it become hysterical when you take into account Drouin's meh NHL career to this point?

Byram is averaging .87 ppg after last night compared to 1.05 ppg last season.

Did people expect a defenseman to average two points per game in a D+1 season? I am confused as to what the actual expectations.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Eye Test

End the soft perimeter hockey.
Apr 13, 2019
Toronto
lol Habs fans should have just kept sergachev. Why would the avs want drouin for a young stud D? Not even a conversation starter

Vijo Morganstein

Nov 29, 2019
Does it become hysterical when you take into account Drouin's meh NHL career to this point?

Byram is averaging .87 ppg after last night compared to 1.05 ppg last season.

Did people expect a defenseman to average two points per game in a D+1 season? I am confused as to what the actual expectations.
Well 1 would be a good start.

That being said, can't see Colorado willing to give up Byram for Drouin but I don't think a Byram-Makar pairing would work, Byram needs a fair amount of work defensively and Romanov would ironically enough be a perfect partner for Makar.

That being said, he very obviously doesn't have the upside or value of Byram so it doesn't matter.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->