Proposal: Col/Mtl around Drouin for Byram

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
even though byram is never getting moved, for fun i'll play along.

from a neutral observer this seems fair

Drouin
Romanov
Caufield

for
Jost
Byram

Jost is trending to be a bust, and many people do not see more than a 4th liner in him (I believe it is too soon to say). Drouin is the only sure thing in this deal (I am not saying the player with the greatest expected value) and I think we can agree that what he seems to be is a good top 6 playmaker.

As far as prospect goes, I am always very cautious : two good examples in this deal, Tyson Jost was a 10th OA (with more than 2 points per game in the BCHL), four years later well... Same thing with Drouin, 3rd OA, who is not living up to the hopes placed in him even though he succeeded in making it to a top 6 role in the NHL.

As MTL I do not do this because I am risk averse, I believe that I have more chances of having one of Caufield or Romanov turning into a very good NHL player (the two events being independent), than one of Byram alone (even though once again I am aware that prospect reports consider him to be a fanstastic puckmoving Dman) ;)

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It will be interesting to see how Byram looks once he turns pro next year. Pre-draft he was a Blue Chip prospect but draft +1, I have him slipped a bit to grade A. Nothing to be crazy concerned with cause up/down movement is normal for prospects.

What's funny is nobody considers the Habs loosing this trade if Byram disappoints? It's like Byram disappointing is impossible or something

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
It will be interesting to see how Byram looks once he turns pro next year. Pre-draft he was a Blue Chip prospect but draft +1, I have him slipped a bit to grade A. Nothing to be crazy concerned with cause up/down movement is normal for prospects.

What's funny is nobody considers the Habs loosing this trade if Byram disappoints? It's like Byram disappointing is impossible or something
And now we're at the fun part of the thread where the team proposing the trade starts to try to devalue their target player. Classic!

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
And now we're at the fun part of the thread where the team proposing the trade starts to try to devalue their target player. Classic!

Nah... not really. I get how the Avs prefer to keep Byram. But it's weird to me that some think he has zero chance to disappoint. In my books, proven NHL talent just touching prime years is worth more than a prospect who has not turned pro yet. You are going to confuse and twist that into a trade that you should make for sure. Not what I am saying.

Bet you the story changes on both players when you look back in 3 years. Pretty sure you think Drouin stalls or goes backwards and Byram rises up to top pairing D. It guess work either way...is my point

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Nah... not really. I get how the Avs prefer to keep Byram. But it's weird to me that some think he has zero chance to disappoint. In my books, proven NHL talent just touching prime years is worth more than a prospect who has not turned pro yet.

Bet you the story changes on both players when you look back in 3 years.

Admittedly your comment is pretty reasonable looking back, so I apologize. These interesting takes triggered me but yours was most recent. I just find these sorts of comments funny and uninformed.
Romanov > Byram so big no to that
He has all the tools but IMO seems lost on where to be most plays and he seems to chase the play. Seems like a player with a lot of risk but he does have upside , seems really over hyped from what I've seen in the wjc. That being said I agree with you and would want no part of Byram in a trade unless it's a lesser piece going back than Drouin.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

Did you just say Byram has slipped in his draft+1 season lol?

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
Remember when some ppl thought Drouin could be better than Mac ?

Byram could be a legit top pair guy or a number 3

I can understand if you don't want to move Byram for Drouin, but nothing is sure for Byram while Drouin could put 80 points on their top line, Landeskog and Kadri on the second line :popcorn:

Drouin got a good contract also. And only 24.
"Good contract". He's 24 with a career high of 21 goals, 53 pts. He's broken 20 goals once in his career, 2 seasons ago. He's never played all 82 games. He's not renowned for any particular defensive ability. And people still talk about him like he's a 30 goal/70 point guy. He's shown what he is and he's marginally above replacement level. In addition to which, he doesn't fill any need for the Avs. Remember what the Avs paid for Burakovsky? The guy who's outscoring Drouin? What makes Drouin worth more than that?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Lol. Nobody's giving up Byram for Drouin.

Works two ways though.... Name one team that trades a 24 year old just about to touch prime years and has 60 pts +/- of potential for a prospect who has not turned pro yet? Do you have a past trade example we can use as a bench mark? Pretty sure you will have a hard time finding something close

This is not a one sided trade. This just is a trade neither side does. Too much risks on both sides IMO. What if Drouin is who he is and does not improve in his prime and what if Byram disappoints after he turns pro? Stop pretending Byram is a sure shot #1D and Drouin will not be a 60-80 pts forward playing with a real top 2C for once in his NHL career

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
Admittedly your comment is pretty reasonable looking back, so I apologize. These interesting takes triggered me but yours was most recent. I just find these sorts of comments funny and uninformed.

How is saying that Romanov > Byram is uninformed. Romanov has been playing in the second best league since his draft, has completely dominated when playing against his peers two years in a row and has been rated as a better D prospect then Byram at this time.

The reality is that Byram's value has slightly regressed due to his D+1 season and being the #1 D for the Canada does not make him the best prospect considering that he only got 2 pts in that tournament and that not so long ago Victor Mete was the #1 D in that tournament and that sure as heel did not make him the next best D prospect at that time.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Yes, I expected him to hold his Blue Chip status in his draft +1. I have him now as a Grade A. Do you seriously think a prospect does not go up and down in trends from 18-21?
I just don’t understand. He has improved immensely. He’s carrying a tire fire of a hockey team on his back. Unless you expected him to score 26 goals again which was known to be ridiculously unsustainable last year I just don’t understand how you could think Byram has fallen at all.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Nah... not really. I get how the Avs prefer to keep Byram. But it's weird to me that some think he has zero chance to disappoint. In my books, proven NHL talent just touching prime years is worth more than a prospect who has not turned pro yet. You are going to confuse and twist that into a trade that you should make for sure. Not what I am saying.

Bet you the story changes on both players when you look back in 3 years. Pretty sure you think Drouin stalls or goes backwards and Byram rises up to top pairing D. It guess work either way...is my point

Exactly the point ! :) People forget that prospects are called prospects for a reason ;)

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I just don’t understand. He has improved immensely. He’s carrying a tire fire of a hockey team on his back. Unless you expected him to score 26 goals again which was known to be ridiculously unsustainable last year I just don’t understand how you could think Byram has fallen at all.

I expected him to stand out at the WJC like Romanov and Sandin. He didn't. Not saying he sucked either. I have him as a Grade A this year. And his biggest test in terms of his real value as a prospect is when he turns pro. I like Byram a lot and just like you do but he is not a sure shot #1D at this point. He can disappoint.

Brook on the Habs had 75 pts in 59 WHL games. He's adjusting to the pro game this year and Habs have calmed down on him where he is now a fringe grade A or B+. Same applies to C Foote with the Avs. He's got work to prove himself as a pro

I'm very cautious with CHL production. Lots times it's the talented ones taking advantage of the weak opposition

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
The reality is that Byram's value has slightly regressed due to his D+1 season and being the #1 D for the Canada does not make him the best prospect considering that he only got 2 pts in that tournement and that not so long ago Victor Mete was the #1 D in that tournament and that sure as heel did not make him the next best D propsect at that time.
#1 He has not lost value, why even say this in a thread where 100% of Avs fans wholeheartedly refuse to part with him and toss out "#1D" or "Top pairing"? He clearly hasn't.
#2 He is widely considered the best D prospect or one of by many professional writers. Pronman for example had Byram #5. Romanov? #121. lmao
#3 Victor Mete was a shit prospect compared to Byram and it's insulting to even mention him.

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal

It's not that hard to understand, Byram was rated the best D prospect in the world from his age group. He could only stay at that position or regress. This year, playing for a team that is not a tire fire but a playoff middle of the pack team, his point production, especially his goal production regresses hence his status regressed.

Regarding the OP, I fully agree that Drouin does not hold enough value to get Byram. No debate here

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I expected him to stand out at the WJC like Romanov and Sandin. He didn't. Not saying he sucked either. I have him as a Grade A this year. And next year is his biggest test in terms of his real value as a prospect cause he turns pro. I like Byram a lot and just like you do but he is not a sure shot #1D at this point. He can disappoint
They are 19 lol. It’s a 19 year olds tournament for defenseman. It’s very rare for 18 year olds to stand out and yet Byram was still used as their shutdown D. How could you possibly come away from the WHC disappointed by how he played. He was a rock.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
How is saying that Romanov > Byram is uninformed. Romanov has been playing in the second best league since his draft, has completely dominated when playing against his peers two years in a row and has been rated as a better D prospect then Byram at this time.

The reality is that Byram's value has slightly regressed due to his D+1 season and being the #1 D for the Canada does not make him the best prospect considering that he only got 2 pts in that tournament and that not so long ago Victor Mete was the #1 D in that tournament and that sure as heel did not make him the next best D prospect at that time.

I believe they are playing in different leagues with different dynamics (KHL is a much more senior and low scoring league than WHL) and they have different styles from what I have read, Byram is a puck mover, offensive Dman, while Romanov seems much more like the shutdown type (but once again maybe it is skewed by the fact that he plays in the KHL) while still have 8 and 6 points in 7 games in the last two WJCs.

Let us not forget that several Russian prospects are undervalued at the draft (Romanov, Kaprizov, Gusev). I honestly like what I have seen from Romanov and I hope he comes to the NHL next year.

Reactions: Cenzo_

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
#2 He is widely considered the best D prospect or one of by many professional writers. Pronman for example had Byram #5. Romanov? #121. lmao
You're absolutely right. Let's go by what professional writers say because they're never wrong...

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
#1 He has not lost value, why even say this in a thread where 100% of Avs fans wholeheartedly refuse to part with him and toss out "#1D" or "Top pairing"? He clearly hasn't.
#3 Victor Mete was a **** prospect compared to Byram and it's insulting to even mention him.

Ok so because biased as hell Colorado fans say he has not lost value that mean the regardless of his disappointing D#1 stats he is still the best D prospect out there.

Byram was held at the highest positon for D prospect, very hard to stay at the top if you're not the top D in your own league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad