Proposal: Col/Mtl around Drouin for Byram

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
That’s even more laughable especially when you take into account Byram’s meh D+1

You mean the D+1 season that saw him be Canada's #1D on it's way to a gold medal?

Something tells me you haven't paid any attention whatsoever to his season and are just spewing random garbage like all of these threads devolve into after an awful proposal gets rejected.

Avs say no to this. Considering the rumor out of Winnipeg is around Byram straight up for Kyle Connor, and Connor is twice the player Drouin is.... this deal doesnt even come close.

Bob9k

Feb 18, 2013
Quebec
What don’t you understand about Byram not being available for trade? Drouin doesn’t fill a need for the Avs while Byram is an expansion exempt, potential top pairing Dman on an ELC. Avs are salivating at the thought of having a Byram/Makar top pairing in the coming seasons.
Might be salivating, but in two years Avs are gonna have cap issues when all ufa and rfa players get to sign big contracts. Byram won't take cheap discount

QuinNasty

Oct 11, 2015
If the habs wanted to blow things up would Petry and Tatar for Byram be something Avs fans would consider?

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
Mtl seem to have too much center short term and D is a crying need. Col could go all the way this year and Byram is still young for now.

Plus: Drouin has a low cap for 4 more years at 5.5M. 24 years old. Chemistry with Mckinnon. Could be a good fit for him. Wouldn't have to be the main piece of a poor offense, meaning less pressure.

Byram could become what Mtl really needs in D eventually. Col already has Makar in that chair.

Minus: Mtl invest in a prospect again and lose a top forward for now.

Col lose a potential top D prospect.

What would need to be added to close this deal for Col to make that push to the Cup and for Mtl to get that missing piece in defense?

So a Middle 6 C for a potential #1D

Ya makes sense

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Well 1 would be a good start.

That being said, can't see Colorado willing to give up Byram for Drouin but I don't think a Byram-Makar pairing would work, Byram needs a fair amount of work defensively and Romanov would ironically enough be a perfect partner for Makar.

That being said, he very obviously doesn't have the upside or value of Byram so it doesn't matter.

So a difference of .13 ppg for a defenseman makes all of the difference?

I can't say that I disagree with any of your remaining points, at least they seem reasonable.

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
If the habs wanted to blow things up would Petry and Tatar for Byram be something Avs fans would consider?
On a serious note, I doubt that Avs are interested in moving Byram at all. He looks like a perfect fit right now for the organisation - cost controlled, adds depth behind Makar and Girard for the future (fingers crossed for Timmins), can't be selected in expansion draft.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
I am just going to throw out that I do like Drouin and I believe that he is capable of producing more than he has shown offensively.

I am not going to argue the merits of this proposed trade for either side, because I just don't believe it is a realistic possibility.

I have no interest in denigrating Drouin as a player, but it is a two-way street on these types of threads at times.

QuinNasty

Oct 11, 2015
Figured it would be a good year to load up on talent and make a good run at a cup, the west is wide open and that would put them over the top in my opinion

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Figured it would be a good year to load up on talent and make a good run at a cup, the west is wide open and that would put them over the top in my opinion

@Kaizer said it best:
On a serious note, I doubt that Avs are interested in moving Byram at all. He looks like a perfect fit right now for the organisation - cost controlled, adds depth behind Makar and Girard for the future (fingers crossed for Timmins), can't be selected in expansion draft.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
He has all the tools but IMO seems lost on where to be most plays and he seems to chase the play. Seems like a player with a lot of risk but he does have upside , seems really over hyped from what I've seen in the wjc. That being said I agree with you and would want no part of Byram in a trade unless it's a lesser piece going back than Drouin.

It’s not even a debate. I wouldn’t take a risk with Byram for a guy like Drouin. It’s just not worth the gamble.

Does it become hysterical when you take into account Drouin's meh NHL career to this point?

Byram is averaging .87 ppg after last night compared to 1.05 ppg last season.

Did people expect a defenseman to average two points per game in a D+1 season? I am confused as to what the actual expectations.

No but you do expect a #4 overall in what was said a very strong draft to dominates more than he did at the WJC.

You mean the D+1 season that saw him be Canada's #1D on it's way to a gold medal?

Something tells me you haven't paid any attention whatsoever to his season and are just spewing random garbage like all of these threads devolve into after an awful proposal gets rejected.

Avs say no to this. Considering the rumor out of Winnipeg is around Byram straight up for Kyle Connor, and Connor is twice the player Drouin is.... this deal doesnt even come close.

If Winnipeg need a young D so bad that they are willing to sacrifice Connor for it then it’s fine, totally up to them. I wouldn’t be willing to gamble on Byram picking up his game for Drouin.

Also, although I had a very limited experience watching Byram (Last year playoff + this year WJC) I can definitely tell you that I was way more impressed with both his offensive and defensive game last year. Last year during the playoff he was all over the place and dominating games. Sample is small but to me he hasn’t shown that at the WJC this year and I feel he hasn’t progressed at all this year.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
The Avalanche have 5 wingers on pace to score more than Drouin, on of which cost a 2nd and a 3rd on the trade market and he's worth the 4th overall pick from last year?

Reactions: Newusername

Newusername

Jun 26, 2013
It’s not even a debate. I wouldn’t take a risk with Byram for a guy like Drouin. It’s just not worth the gamble.

No but you do expect a #4 overall in what was said a very strong draft to dominates more than he did at the WJC.

If Winnipeg need a young D so bad that they are willing to sacrifice Connor for it then it’s fine, totally up to them. I wouldn’t be willing to gamble on Byram picking up his game for Drouin.

Also, although I had a very limited experience watching Byram (Last year playoff + this year WJC) I can definitely tell you that I was way more impressed with both his offensive and defensive game last year. Last year during the playoff he was all over the place and dominating games. Sample is small but to me he hasn’t shown that at the WJC this year and I feel he hasn’t progressed at all this year.
You’d think a 3rd overall would have scored over 53 points in a season..... Also I wouldn’t gamble a potential top pairing D for a 2nd line winger with attitude issues.
All Byram did was lead team Canada to a gold medal as their #1 defenseman, is that good? Can someone confirm that gold medals are good?
And the kicker “I had very limited experience watching Byram” but you can definitley lecture the people who do watch him about your uninformed opinion. Classic Hfboards. Montreal fans make terrible proposal...... proposal gets ripped apart......turns out that player was trash anyways, the Hf formula

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Offensively he probably hasn't progressed.... But when you score 26 Goals and 71 points as a 17 year old Dman.... Theres really not any room left to progress. His offensive production in the WHL from this time last year compared to this year is almost identical with the loan exception of goals being a step back.

As for the World Juniors.... He was an 18 year old Dman on a Canada defense that was built entirely around 19 year old Dmen(Except the 7th D Drsydale). And yet it was Byram who was the only Dman both killing penalties and playing on the PP. And it was Byram that they relied on ridiculously heavily in the 3rd against the Russiams when they were trailing by 2 and then played the entire last 3 mins of ththe game with the 1 goal lead.

Its rare for Canada to have 18 year old Dmen on its roster, let alone having an 18 year old be the #1D on the roster.

This isnt me being a homer either. Check my post history. I was one of the most vocal critics of his game early on in the WJC when he was struggling a little bit, and I was critical of him during Colorado training camp when he wasn't quite NHL ready and it showed.

But make no mistake about it, from about the mid point of the World Juniors onward he was absolutely excellent and since going back to the Giants he has carried that play into an excellent second half push for him and the Giants.

Theres a reason Button and Pronman has him as the best D prospect in the league. He's having a solid D+1 even if the offense is stagnating. Anybody with any understanding of the year he had last year knew it was coming. It wasn't the 26G 71 points that were the reason he got drafted 4th overall.

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
Holy man this is a Joke. Byram isn't available. And if he was it'd be for someone way better than Drouin.

Reactions: TML1990

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Habs fans are so out of touch with Drouin's value, guy has a career high of 53 points and terrible defensively. I'm not even sure he returns a 1st round pick let alone someone like Byram.

Not sure you make the difference between a nhl player and a prospect ;)

Not saying Byram won't be good, just that you don't know. Who would have traded Pulju for Drouin right after the draft ? Nobody. Who would now ? Edmonton anytime ;)

As a side note Drouin scored 100+ points in 48 games in QMJHL now he is bad according to you, so what about Byram ? ;)

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
Well 1 would be a good start.

That being said, can't see Colorado willing to give up Byram for Drouin but I don't think a Byram-Makar pairing would work, Byram needs a fair amount of work defensively and Romanov would ironically enough be a perfect partner for Makar.

That being said, he very obviously doesn't have the upside or value of Byram so it doesn't matter.

Byram doesn't need a ton of work defensively lol, that's actually been his strong point this season and what he was used for in the WJC. These Byram threads are a flat out joke and it's almost insulting at this point how disgustingly bad these offers are getting. avs offer burakovsky (on pace to beat drouins career high) for Caufield +.

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
Not sure you make the difference between a nhl player and a prospect ;)

Not saying Byram won't be good, just that you don't know. Who would have traded Pulju for Drouin right after the draft ? Nobody. Who would now ? Edmonton anytime ;)

K well burakovsky is about to eclipse drouins career high. Send over Caufield plus some and we will send over bura. Since he's already in the NHL and Caufield isnt. Sound good?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad