Proposal: Col/Mtl around Drouin for Byram

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
Montreal has too much depth at C?
Of course, everyone played Center for the Habs in recent years. Galchenyuk, Drouin, Domi, Shaw, Byron....and none of these are natural centers. lol (Galchenyuk maybe he was in junior but. lol)

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
We not trading Byram. Move along.

Montreal never should have traded Sergachev, that isn't a hind sight opinion either.

You can request that, but it isn't happening. They won't rest till they finish (fantasizing about) nabbing everyone else's top prospects for their above-average players.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Yes Byram is having a poor season in the WHL, but he’s still worth more than Drouin.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
I wouldn't say our biggest weakness is D for prospects. Our top 4 is pretty much locked down and all under 25 (graves the oldest at 24). Timmins and Byram to come. So that will be 5 dmen under 25. 4 of them under 23. Will be a while before we need any high calibre D prospects. But definitely the fact remains Byram isn't being traded unless it's for a clear cut top line wing that has produced more than 50 pts and can break open a game. Don't see any offers on here except the Connor rumor that makes sense.
More depth I suppose we dont have. Timmins and Byram and then a whole lot of nothing. Were fortunate that the few we do have are very high end.

Reactions: Avaholic29

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Yes Byram is having a poor season in the WHL, but he’s still worth more than Drouin.

Is he really having a poor season in the WHL? I'd think that being 9th in PPG among D, despite playing on a team with at least 20 fewer goals than every other D in the top 10 (50+ fewer than 5 of them), while also being improved defensively, wouldn't suggest he's having a poor season.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Is he really having a poor season in the WHL? I'd think that being 9th in PPG among D, despite playing on a team with at least 20 fewer goals than every other D in the top 10 (50+ fewer than 5 of them), while also being improved defensively, wouldn't suggest he's having a poor season.

I think the expectation is for a 4th overall pick he wouldn't just be having a standard season - he should be dominating. People watching the team have reported he's been very so-so defensively.

WJC is a poor indicator of future success, but he definitely looked bad in his own end.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
I think the expectation is for a 4th overall pick he wouldn't just be having a standard season - he should be dominating. People watching the team have reported he's been very so-so defensively.

WJC is a poor indicator of future success, but he definitely looked bad in his own end.

I don't know, he was on the ice for I believe two goals against the entire tournament and Canada gave up around 16 goals. He also seemingly replaced Smith, Bahl, and McIsaac as the primary penalty killer among defensemen for Canada and the coaches gave him more and more ice time as the tournament progressed.

He routinely exceeded 20 minutes TOI for Canada during the last 5-6 games and Canada's defense improved tremendously on the way to a gold medal. I don't believe that he was on the ice for any power play goals against. The coaches for Canada essentially treated him as the primary shut down defenseman as the tournament progressed, while the roles for Bahl, McIsaac, and Smith were reduced.

His point production is essentially the same after the same number of games as last year in the WHL (.90 ppg through 40 games versus 1.05 ppg through 67 WHL games last year).

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Just because Bergevin is stupid and gave up a stud D prospect for Drouin doesn't mean other GMs are.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Byram is off the table unless someone has a disgruntled 22 year old 1st line player they need to move (and yes, I know we’d have to add).

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014

He was also one of the youngest in the draft. Dominated at 17 but like with any team that becomes less offensive he has taken on a more defensive role. People who watch him state that last year he would hog the puck alot more and do it all himself. He's changed his game up and that means more for his development than a point total. We want a two way stud not a purely offensive guy as he will be with Makar who has that more than taken care of.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad