Proposal: Col/Mtl around Drouin for Byram

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
They are 19 lol. It’s a 19 year olds tournament for defenseman. It’s very rare for 18 year olds to stand out and yet Byram was still used as their shutdown D. How could you possibly come away from the WHC disappointed by how he played. He was a rock.

Romanov was best D man at 18 the year prior. I get it, Byram was rated high when you drafted him and you refused to say he has slipped a bit. You are protecting your best prospect's value and I would too. But I am sure you understand my narrative... He can go up or down in his development. The true test is how he looks when he turns pro IMO.

Should be a dominate piece for Canada at the next WJC right? Dominate in both production and eye test like Sandin and Romanov right? That's what is expected. It's way to early to know anything and even if he has a meh WJC next year, it's still early. Point is, he is not a proven prospect

You can only evaluate on CHL production at the moment and that has some flaws IMO. Today, Byram is all about potential and trends. Saying he has moved from Blue Chip to grade A is not a terrible thing. He can regain that in future years.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
It's not that hard to understand, Byram was rated the best D prospect in the world from his age group. He could only stay at that position or regress. This year, playing for a team that is not a tire fire but a playoff middle of the pack team, his point production, especially his goal production regresses hence his status regressed.
He’s why they’re a playoff team lmao. They’ve won something silly like 3 of 11 games without him this year.

His assist production has increased despite the team scoring only about 82% as much as last year. Yes his goal scoring has decreased but it was completely unrealistic to expect 20+ goals again. What he’s doing with that team is beyond impressive despite what hockeydb tells you. And the fact that you think the Giants aren’t a tire fire proves that hockeydb is what you base it on.

Reactions: Cenzo_

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Not protecting his value we're saying he's not available to be traded for. His value for us is not dependent on him having an offensively amazing season in juniors, how is this a hard concept to understand? In fact Sakic is on record having talked to Byram about focusing on polishing his defensive game. Not to mention it is universally known that his team is just much less talented than last year, he has less support.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Way more likely to be a more accurate picture than some random dude on HFBoards arguing for a player owned by his favorite team. Do you not agree? They actually spend time watching prospects.
Don't get me wrong, I don't see how Drouin is even close to being worth Byram - I posted about it earlier. But to rely on professional writers who get shit wrong all the time to validate a point... I mean, Romanov being that low on Pronman's list proves he watched very little to none of Romanov.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Ok so because biased as hell Colorado fans say he has not lost value that mean the regardless of his disappointing D#1 stats he is still the best D prospect out there.

Byram was held at the highest positon for D prospect, very hard to stay at the top if you're not the top D in your own league.
Disappointing to who exactly? Habs homers?

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Works two ways though.... Name one team that trades a 24 year old just about to touch prime years and has 60 pts +/- of potential for a prospect who has not turned pro yet? Do you have a past trade example we can use as a bench mark? Pretty sure you will have a hard time finding something close

This is not a one sided trade. This just is a trade neither side does. Too much risks on both sides IMO. What if Drouin is who he is and does not improve in his prime and what if Byram disappoints after he turns pro? Stop pretending Byram is a sure shot #1D and Drouin will not be a 60-80 pts forward playing with a real top 2C for once in his NHL career

It's almost like we forgot that Jeff Skinner was traded for Cliff Pu and draft picks just two years ago...

... And Cliff Pu is not nearly the level of Byram. And by that, I mean he probably never plays a game in the NHL.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
#1 He has not lost value, why even say this in a thread where 100% of Avs fans wholeheartedly refuse to part with him and toss out "#1D" or "Top pairing"? He clearly hasn't.
#2 He is widely considered the best D prospect or one of by many professional writers. Pronman for example had Byram #5. Romanov? #121. lmao
#3 Victor Mete was a **** prospect compared to Byram and it's insulting to even mention him.

You are way too emotionally attached to your prospects :D

That said,
a) Not sure if he has regressed or not, but who cares he still is the top D prospect in the league
b) not sure when this ranking has been produced but that s not what I have read recently, analysts are quite optimistic regarding ROmanov (albeit not as much as regarding Byram)
c) Mete and Byram are not at all at the same level in terms of skills and I do not believe anybody would consider them being equals (I believe the argument above only mentioned that the performance at WJC is not synonym of success in the NHL).

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Don't get me wrong, I don't see how Drouin is even close to being worth Byram - I posted about it earlier. But to rely on professional writers who get **** wrong all the time to validate a point... Romanov being that low on his list proves he watched very little if any of Romanov.
This ain't it chief. I place value in the opinions of professionals who spend time looking at these guys. If they were #5 and #11, I'd see your point. I take it with a grain of salt but I take posters opinions here with a dump truck full of salt.

Byram has insane tools, he's an elite prospect. Romanov is more developed and has looked fantastic but I just don't see how he passes Byram after one tournament, one in which Byram played well as an 18 y/o.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Exactly the point ! :) People forget that prospects are called prospects for a reason ;)

I respect any fan base protecting their prospects cause Habs fans do that as well. But saying he is worth for sure more than Drouin who is a proven NHL talent just about to touch prime years and under team control is just weird. Trades like this are very very rare. Byram has not even turned pro yet so saying he is a sure shot #1D or top pairing is a prediction that could end up true or fase. That means Habs can say Caufield is the next Ovechkin. It don't work that way

Too much risks for both sides IMO. Trades like this are rare

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
You are way too emotionally attached to your prospects :D

That said,
a) Not sure if he has regressed or not, but who cares he still is the top D prospect in the league
b) not sure when this ranking has been produced but that s not what I have read recently, analysts are quite optimistic regarding ROmanov (albeit not as much as regarding Byram)
c) Mete and Byram are not at all at the same level in terms of skills and I do not believe anybody would consider them being equals (I believe the argument above only mentioned that the performance at WJC is not synonym of success in the NHL).
My point was to aggregate the opinions of my fellow fans. And I don't think I'm any more emotionally attached to him than you lot are to Romanov.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
This ain't it chief. I place value in the opinions of professionals who spend time looking at these guys. If they were #5 and #11, I'd see your point.

Byram has insane tools, he's an elite prospect. Romanov is more developed and has looked fantastic but I just don't see how he passes Byram after one tournament, one in which Byram played well as an 18 y/o.
I never mentioned anywhere that Romanov > Byram. Believe me, I'd want Byram on my team. And my offer, if I were to make one wouldn't be an insulting Drouin for Byram 1-for-1. But it wouldn't be Drouin + Romanov + Caufield either.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It's almost like we forgot that Jeff Skinner was traded for Cliff Pu and draft picks just two years ago...

... And Cliff Pu is not nearly the level of Byram. And by that, I mean he probably never plays a game in the NHL.

Skinner was a pending UFA who had a NMC. You got another better example?

Drouin
- Age 24
- 50+ pts of proven production from 19-24
- Signed for this year and another 3 years at $5.5M from 24-28

Byram
- Age 18
- A very good prospect with postive trends
- Has not turned pro yet

I think you will have a very hard time finding an example bud. Drouin for Sergachev and a 2nd is the closest you will find. And who added the 2nd? :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
This ain't it chief. I place value in the opinions of professionals who spend time looking at these guys. If they were #5 and #11, I'd see your point. I take it with a grain of salt but I take posters opinions here with a dump truck full of salt.

You mean the same tournament where Romanov was voted Best D at 18 yrs old?

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
I never mentioned anywhere that Romanov > Byram. Believe me, I'd want Byram on my team. And my offer, if I were to make one wouldn't be an insulting Drouin for Byram 1-for-1. But it wouldn't be Drouin + Romanov + Caufield either.
I hope that last one wasn't meant to be serious, it's not reasonable. I think more just that poster taking a shot lol. Thank you for being reasonable, I enjoyed this slice of the thread.

Reactions: A Loyal Dog

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
I respect any fan base protecting their prospects cause Habs fans do that as well. But saying he is worth for sure more than Drouin who is a proven NHL talent just about to touch prime years and under team control is just weird. Trades like this are very very rare. Byram has not even turned pro yet so saying he is a sure shot #1D or top pairing is a prediction that could end up true or fase. That means Habs can say Caufield is the next Ovechkin. It don't work that way

Too much risks for both sides IMO. Trades like this are rare

Exactly what I meant in the posts before : too much of a risk for both teams. One GM risks looking like a fool by losing the deal, not going to happen. Well actually with MTL you never know :D

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Exactly what I meant in the posts before : too much of a risk for both teams. One GM risks looking like a fool by losing the deal, not going to happen. Well actually with MTL you never know :D

Nobody is considering that Drouin turns into a 60-80 pts winger by playing with a real top 2C and Byram trends like Sergachev perhaps?

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Disappointing to who exactly? Habs homers?

So by not increasing his production in the Dub in Draft + 1, he is not disappointing to Avs fans? Contributing 2 assists at the WJHC....

He's been a disappointment. Doesn't mean he can't turn it around. But call a spade a spade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad