Confirmed with Link: [COL/MIN] Ian Cole for Greg Pateryn

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
Love the trade.

Free up 1.2 million in cap space, and swap a LHD for a RHD is definitely worth the very slight downgrade from Cole to Pateryn.

Toews - Makar
Girard - Johnson
Graves - Timmins
Byram - Pateryn
Gilbert

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Wow...

- We made a trade with Minnesota.
- We actually got Cole off this club.

I completely understand why we did it, but why the eff does Minny do this? I said it a week ago, but the two games he played for us he didn't even look like a top-pairing defenceman for the AHL squad. He's absolutely gone skating wise and has somehow regressed in the puck skills department which he wasn't ever very good to begin with. Cole seemed like a fantastic piece for the lockerroom and actually enjoyed him during his time here, but Avs made the best decision and moved on from him.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Wow...

I completely understand why we did it, but why the eff does Minny do this? I said it a week ago, but the two games he played for us he didn't even look like a top-pairing defenceman for the AHL squad. He's absolutely gone skating wise and has somehow regressed in the puck skills department which he wasn't ever very good to begin with. Cole seemed like a fantastic piece for the lockerroom and actually enjoyed him during his time here, but Avs made the best decision and moved on from him.
Guerin knows Cole from the Pittsburgh days. Probably a locker room move and also a slight upgrade for cheap (1M).

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Love it!

Sakic got a depth piece and cleared some cap space for what I would have thought was a negative value player.

Is Guerin a bit analytics guy? Wondering if Sakic suckered another stat whacker with a player with good fancy stats but didn’t meet the eye test like he did with Dubas and Kerfoot. Or is it just straight cronyism?

Well it doesn't seem like it can really be based on Cole's on-ice play. To me, this has a real 'Brad Stuart' trade feel to it - something that was based more on his reputation and the fact that Guerin was familiar with him going back to his days in Pittsburgh. Maybe he doesn't think Cole could have dropped off so much since he's still 'only' 31???

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Guerin knows Cole from the Pittsburgh days. Probably a locker room move and also a slight upgrade for cheap (1M).
Not saying that Pateryn is anything special, but he literally cannot be worse than the Cole that showed up for this season. That's what I don't get, the scouts even on their telly can see how unaccomplished he is nowadays. Lockeroom makes much more sense, but not at the cap hit difference.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Wow...

Guerin probably thinks he's getting the same Ian Cole that played in Pittsburgh.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
Wow...

Russo made a good point in his article about the deal...
The move may also make sense for another reason: If Guerin feels the Wild aren’t a true contender by the trade deadline on April 12, Cole would likely be valued by a contender and have better trade value than Pateryn.

Nick Bonino, Marcus Johansson, Nick Bjugstad and Brad Hunt are also pending free agents who could conceivably be trade-deadline rentals for contenders.

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Happy to be rid of Cole, but I didn’t mind him on the team the last couple of years. It didn’t really look like he was going to be a good fit going forward, though. Hope he gets more playing time in Minny than he would have here and he gets a fat contract.

Reactions: Richard88

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
his was the easiest head to roll but up until the season pause Cole played above my expectations (which admittedly were not drastically high) and occasionally was a difference maker on a team where he invariably took the most punishment

it matters little in the long run, since I would buy tickets to watch Byram play long before I would do so for Cole

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I definitely get what you folks are saying. Trust me, I did not want Cole in the line-up.

I'm sure Cole would not have liked sitting in the press box, and as we're all aware, he's mediocre. But with this defense, it always feels like we're an injury away from the Anton Lindholm's of the world getting ice time. So what I'm saying is I question if Cole's Nacho eating duties would have lasted any great length of time.

Yeah but there’s already a huge difference between last year’s depth chart on D and this year’s.

Just look:

LAST SEASON
Makar
Girard
Johnson
Graves
Zadorov
Cole
Barberio
Connauton

THIS SEASON
Makar
Girard
Toews
Johnson
Graves
Timmins
Byram
Pateryn
Gilbert

That’s a world of difference right there.

I’m seriously not worried. They picked up a RHD to fill out the depth chart and managed to slash salary without weakening the team in any way.

There are concerns about this team, but the blueline, shockingly, ain’t one of them.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
The path to not playing the Lindholms and Connautons and Drieses in the playoffs is to get the young talent ready to contribute. That seems to be the plan, we’ll see. They need regular season games to have the staff feel comfortable to put them in when it matters most. There will always be default career minor league veterans lying around if the coaches need to cling to them. There’s a better way and hopefully we are on that path.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Yeah but there’s already a huge difference between last year’s depth chart on D and this year’s.

Just look:

LAST SEASON
Makar
Girard
Johnson
Graves
Zadorov
Cole
Barberio
Connauton

THIS SEASON
Makar
Girard
Toews
Johnson
Graves
Timmins
Byram
Pateryn
Gilbert

That’s a world of difference right there.

I’m seriously not worried. They picked up a RHD to fill out the depth chart and managed to slash salary without weakening the team in any way.

There are concerns about this team, but the blueline, shockingly, ain’t one of them.

I have zero concern about our defense. Honestly, my biggest concern would be finding enough ice-time for Byram, Timmins, Gilbert, and Pateryn (in that order).

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Love it!

Sakic got a depth piece and cleared some cap space for what I would have thought was a negative value player.

Is Guerin a bit analytics guy? Wondering if Sakic suckered another stat whacker with a player with good fancy stats but didn’t meet the eye test like he did with Dubas and Kerfoot. Or is it just straight cronyism?

Dude, what are you talking about? The Avs are as stats-savvy as any front office, likely even more so than a lot of them. And why would Ian Cole be a favorite of the “statwhackers”?

I don’t know what Guerin’s stance is on analytics, but Fenton pretty much gutted the fancy stats department in Minny, and brought in a lot of guys who openly thumbed their noses at stats.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Dude, what are you talking about? The Avs are as stats-savvy as any front office, likely even more so than a lot of them. And why would Ian Cole be a favorite of the “statwhackers”?
Got better analytics than Pateryn. And Sakic used that methodology to take Wonder Boy Dubas to the cleaners.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Spelling. :teach2:
???

upload_2021-1-20_11-15-55.png

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

I don’t know what Guerin’s stance is on analytics, but Fenton pretty much gutted the fancy stats department in Minny, and brought in a lot of guys who openly thumbed their noses at stats.
Ian Cole’s a bit of an analytics darling.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Ian Cole’s a bit of an analytics darling.

True story.

His analytics also improved in 2019/20 compared to 2018/19, largely due to playing in a more reduced role (see "%TOI vs Elite" in the graph below, which went down from 67% to 49% year-on-year).

So he's a guy that - according to the analytics - can do a passable job when playing tough minutes, but an excellent job as a 5/6 D. This is likely what Guerin is banking on, though we know that the analytics don't always support the eye test...

upload_2021-1-20_12-25-21.png

upload_2021-1-20_12-22-34.png

upload_2021-1-20_12-23-12.png

Attachments

• upload_2021-1-20_12-25-1.png
    upload_2021-1-20_12-25-1.png
    98.6 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: avsfan09

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
The thing with analytics is that you can be a monster there, but in hockey one play can kill you. This isn't baseball or basketball where one play won't necessarily hurt you a lot. One blown coverage or even a couple won't show up, but they have a high chance to lead to two goals against. So if you dominate shot metrics, possession, exG, or whatever, you can still do more bad than good if you give up a few chances to the other team every game because you are a bit slow, like to puck watch etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad