Confirmed with Link: [COL/MIN] Ian Cole for Greg Pateryn

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
It’s time to go after Gibson - Newhook + Gru for Gibson

I’d hate to lose newhook, but Gibson would be the final piece to the puzzle. Anaheim can finally rebuild and not have a great goalie ruining their draft position and add one of the top non-nhl prospects.
If we moved Newhook for a non-center our depth at C would be pretty fragile with Kadri hitting UFA in 2022.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
We would still have to trade important pieces for a player that we would struggle to be able to sign. It’s an expensive rental, and I’m not sure the team even needs one to win a cup. I think longevity through prospects and drafting is the better route.
I'd be happy with a 3C and some goalie insurance. Neither move has to be expensive necessarily, but I'd be willing to pay well for a good 3C (eg. Bonino/Cizikas/Jenner/Danault).

Reactions: flyfysher

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I am shocked...

Don't love the move either. As much as Cole has his faults he was great defensive depth for when injuries start hitting.

I guess this means Timmy/Byram will be seeing a lot more ice time.

Pretty ruthless move from Joe tbh.
As a Habs fan who saw a good amount... You're going to like Pateryn. Extremely smart defenseman who skates well and can make a good enough first pass. He's not going to screw up often. Good little player.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
If we moved Newhook for a non-center our depth at C would be pretty fragile with Kadri hitting UFA in 2022.
The logical move in that situation is to try and get Kadri locked in on a decent contract extension after this season. It’s a risk trading newhook but there’s no guarantees he turns into the 2c we all hope he becomes.

Snow Arc

We have to shout above the din of our RiceCrispies
Aug 14, 2020
Why is Gilbert starting? Is Joe holding back trade pieces?

Richard Doll

Feb 18, 2020
Saint Albans, Vermont
Can confirm.
imageproxy.jpeg

Reactions: Tralfamadore

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
The logical move in that situation is to try and get Kadri locked in on a decent contract extension after this season. It’s a risk trading newhook but there’s no guarantees he turns into the 2c we all hope he becomes.
Will Kadri want to resign with a team that so clearly has a long-term 2C lined up? He wasn't particularly happy about being 3C in Toronto after all.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Why is Gilbert starting? Is Joe holding back trade pieces?
Avs had no cap flexibility to bring up another forward from the taxi squad due to Miska being on the roster and Burakovsky being injured. So it had to be 7D.

Bednar also probably wants to ease Johnson in tonight so it makes sense to have Gilbert there too.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Having a real hard time understanding how there can be Avs fans not completely thrilled with this trade?!?!

From the comments in the GDTs so far this year, according to most we were going to need to attach a high pick just to get rid of Cole.

If Cole plays the same way he did with the Avs for last year's playoffs and for the first 2 games this year for Minnesota, he's going to be healthy scratched over there more times than not.

Pateryn won't need to be anything special but he's still a guy who can be counted on to play bottom pairing minutes when you need it. The cap savings is the real star of this trade if you ask me.

Fantastic trade for Sakic again!

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
Can't complain with saving 2 mil in space and freeing up a spot for Byram

Toews --- Makar
Graves -- Girard
Byram -- Johnson
Gilbert - Timmins
Pateryn

That is some sick depth.

Reactions: Richard88

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Having a real hard time understanding how there can be Avs fans not completely thrilled with this trade?!?!

Fantastic trade for Sakic again!
Love it!

Sakic got a depth piece and cleared some cap space for what I would have thought was a negative value player.

Is Guerin a bit analytics guy? Wondering if Sakic suckered another stat whacker with a player with good fancy stats but didn’t meet the eye test like he did with Dubas and Kerfoot. Or is it just straight cronyism?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad