Mooserton

Oct 4, 2013
Colorado
Oh well. He’s a decent depth piece
dc6d1636bbbb3048841826abb48f5d9d.gif

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
That’s who will play on it lol. I agree if Pateryn sort of becomes the EJ understudy/insurance that makes a lot of sense. We don’t see enough of that sort of thinking among depth guys and callups is that someone is inserted to more specifically play the role of a guy that may go down at some point.

I feel the pk is very passive. The high forward challenges but that’s about it.
Oh I realize that’s who’ll play on it. I’m just responding to you saying it isn’t an issue when we’re yet to see how Toews even does in his first season PK’ing.

As for the passive/aggressive setup, you can’t have your defense over aggressive. The most important area of the ice to not give up while shorthanded is the home plate in front of the net. You’re already outnumbered in personnel and if a defenseman is over aggressive and gives up that area it’s worst case scenario as seen in the Dallas series as nobody was capable of defending the front of the net with EJ gone. The Avs play aggressive with their forwards while protecting the small house with their defenseman. You simply cannot have your defenseman running around.

Reactions: cinchronicity

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Him getting claimed wasn't a realistic option. As long as he's used in a proper role as a #8/9 D and only plays out of necessity then it should be okay. If Bednar falls in love with his grit/toughness and continues to find ways to get in the lineup with better players healthy then we're in trouble.

Reactions: McMetal
Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Isn't this what we all expected from the beginning? He's a depth piece that saved the Avs money (especially on the taxi squad) when compared to Cole. This is the year the kids take over on D, but we still need some depth pieces.

If Sakic is able to use that additional cap space at the deadline to shore up the team for a legit cup run than it's a huge win for the Avs.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Isn't this what we all expected from the beginning? He's a depth piece that saved the Avs money (especially on the taxi squad) when compared to Cole. This is the year the kids take over on D, but we still need some depth pieces.

If Sakic is able to use that additional cap space at the deadline to shore up the team for a legit cup run than it's a huge win for the Avs.

Yes and no. It was a good trade for the reasons you mention. What people didn't expect, or at least I didn't expect, was him playing in every game since being acquired. Hopefully it was only due to the current circumstances with EJ being out and Byram just getting started. Personally, I wouldn't even play him over Gilbert.

Mooserton

Oct 4, 2013
Colorado
Yeah this trade is only good if we actually use the capspace at the deadline on someone decent and not a Brassard.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Yeah this trade is only good if we actually use the capspace at the deadline on someone decent and not a Brassard.
Well I mean before the trade opened up some space it forced us to run 7D and 11F because of the way that injuries forced our hand. So the fact that we don’t have to do that anymore already makes it a win.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
It's good that we got to see what Pateryn can do on this team for a couple of games. Now we know what we have though, so he can be relegated to the taxi squad for the rest of the season until such time that injuries require him to play.

Reactions: 5280

cinchronicity

Jan 16, 2021
Durango
Yes and no. It was a good trade for the reasons you mention. What people didn't expect, or at least I didn't expect, was him playing in every game since being acquired. Hopefully it was only due to the current circumstances with EJ being out and Byram just getting started. Personally, I wouldn't even play him over Gilbert.

Bednar strikes me as the kind of coach who wants to see a player live. Video can only show a player in another team's system. And three games proved what I thought at the outset - his only true value is as a sub for an injured EJ. In truth, he was not terrible on the PK either, so he can sub for EJ there as well. Looking even one level deeper, perhaps Sakic wanted to see if his large body could replace Graves as the #7D in a taxi rotation. I think we all see that the answer is a resounding NO. Still, we save cap money and have Pateryn around if EJ goes down. Pateryn as a #9D is actually quite the luxury in a cup run.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
That’s who will play on it lol. I agree if Pateryn sort of becomes the EJ understudy/insurance that makes a lot of sense. We don’t see enough of that sort of thinking among depth guys and callups is that someone is inserted to more specifically play the role of a guy that may go down at some point.

I feel the pk is very passive. The high forward challenges but that’s about it.

Y’all pointed out on the pod that during one of the Ducks games, the Ducks changed out power play units on the fly and despite having the numbers edge very briefly, they just stood there. It’s maddening at times how bad this system is. At times it has looked better simply because there’s more puck skill available and they’re better able to snag pucks and clear them with authority (btw, Pateryn is somehow worse at clearing attempts than Cole was, and Cole was horrible) but it still doesn’t fit this team at all and I can’t for the life of me figure out why they still use it.

This is the one thing I don’t like about Jost on the PK. He’s not fast enough to get to loose pucks. But since the Avs PK doesn’t bother utilizing the speed at their disposal I suppose it makes no difference.

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
Anyone notice Cole didn't say anything on Twitter or Instagram after the trade, also I didnt notice any teammates making any posts about it either. I bet it wasn't a very cordial goodbye. There isn't even an I'm excited to be here standard arrival post. Id be interested to see what his most recent interviews have been like but that would involve listening to wild interviews and I dont think I could stomach it.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Anyone notice Cole didn't say anything on Twitter or Instagram after the trade, also I didnt notice any teammates making any posts about it either. I bet it wasn't a very cordial goodbye. There isn't even an I'm excited to be here standard arrival post. Id be interested to see what his most recent interviews have been like but that would involve listening to wild interviews and I dont think I could stomach it.

cole with the triple gordie howe hat trick first game against us guaranteed

Reactions: S3rkie

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Grubauer made a post

Reactions: S3rkie

MaKarter

Big Game Bo
Jun 21, 2019
Fort Collins CO
Does a vet like Pateryn not have to go back through the waiver process if he gets called back to the NHL?

Every player only needs to clear waivers once?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad