Confirmed with Link: [COL/MIN] Ian Cole for Greg Pateryn

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I've always wondered how GM's prefer to communicate how a player is available.
I like to imagine that every GM is in a group chat together, Sakic puts out there that Cole is available, and while all the other GM's are replying with crying laugh emoji ole Billy G slips right into Sakic's dms to ask what he wants for Cole

Probably goes down something along the lines of the 2 scenes below.

Flanagan

Registered Loser
Jul 10, 2011
St. John's
This is one of my favourite Cole moments. Game 3 against the Flames and he gets a shorthanded breakaway leading to a goal.

I can't find the full clip but if I'm remembering correctly he had another breakaway immediately before this play.

Reactions: Richard88

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
We are aiming for some big fish??
That $10m capspace projection is based on the current capspace of $2.3m. Once Miska gets taxi squad'ed again though we'll be up to $3.1m in capspace which projects to around $13.5m in deadline capspace. Needless to say I think Sakic has something brewing with this much capspace.

Reactions: Gatorbait19

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
That $10m capspace projection is based on the current capspace of $2.3m. Once Miska gets taxi squad'ed again though we'll be up to $3.1m in capspace which projects to around $13.5m in deadline capspace. Needless to say I think Sakic has something brewing with this much capspace.

We are living exciting times. I can't believe this is true after all the years of struggle.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Forgot that Pateryn is a RHD. That right there gives him an edge over Cole. Cole could play the right side in a pinch but I don't really think he was all that good at it.

In any event, that's precisely the guy you don't mind having in the press box. It would've been an issue with Cole in there, now there's no need to fret about it on either side.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Can someone explain where we will be getting all this cap space from? Thx

Capspace is averaged over the course of the season, or 116 days total. Any time you're under the upper cap limit you're "accruing" that unused capspace so you can use it later in the season.

Having $2m in unused capspace right now means that we're saving $17,241 of capspace today, and this capspace can be used later in the season. Tally that accrued capspace up over the length of a season until the deadline and $2m in space actually allows for around $9m in accrued capspace at the deadline.

This is simplified but I hope it gives you an idea.

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
We made a trade with the Mild....

tenor.gif

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Because at the deadline only about 22% of the cap hit of each player is left to « pay ». So a cap space of 3M$ allows for the addition of about 3/.22=13.6M$ new cap hit via trade deadline acquisition.
Edit: Scooped by Richard88
That’s Taylor Halls music

Reactions: Richard88

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Man, Dater really went out on a limb with that take, real insider info there.
He did put it out there, which was common sense mostly but it’s possible he heard whispers. But there is absolutely no excuse for this from him:

Byram has yet to sign a pro contract, but that could come shortly. It would be an entry-level contract.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
I wouldn’t count on all that deadline space, who the hell knows how it will be used up for injuries and other roster moves by the deadline.
Of course we're unlikely to have $13m+ in deadline capspace, as there will be roster shuffling due to injuries and what not.

However, we won't actually need anywhere close to that given that we'd only need to cover 22% of a deadline acquisitions' caphit. Meaning that if we acquire Hall for example, we'd only be on the hook for $1.8m of his $8m caphit.

So even if some of the 'projected' deadline space gets used up for various reasons over the course of the season, there will still be plenty of space for a big deadline acquisition. And it seems to me that Sakic is setting himself up to make a big push this season when the roster is probably as competitive and deep as it's every going to be given the impending raises to Makar/Landeskog/etc.

Reactions: AvsMakar08

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Of course we're unlikely to have $13m+ in deadline capspace, as there will be roster shuffling due to injuries and what not.

However, we won't actually need anywhere close to that given that we'd only need to cover 22% of a deadline acquisitions' caphit. Meaning that if we acquire Hall for example, we'd only be on the hook for $1.8m of his $8m caphit.

So even if some of the 'projected' deadline space gets used up for various reasons over the course of the season, there will still be plenty of space for a big deadline acquisition. And it seems to me that Sakic is setting himself up to make a big push this season when the roster is probably as competitive and deep as it's every going to be given the impending raises to Makar/Landeskog/etc.
We would still have to trade important pieces for a player that we would struggle to be able to sign. It’s an expensive rental, and I’m not sure the team even needs one to win a cup. I think longevity through prospects and drafting is the better route.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
It’s time to go after Gibson - Newhook + Gru for Gibson

I’d hate to lose newhook, but Gibson would be the final piece to the puzzle. Anaheim can finally rebuild and not have a great goalie ruining their draft position and add one of the top non-nhl prospects.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
It’s time to go after Gibson - Newhook + Gru for Gibson

I’d hate to lose newhook, but Gibson would be the final piece to the puzzle. Anaheim can finally rebuild and not have a great goalie ruining their draft position and add one of the top non-nhl prospects.
I’d rather see Newhook play in the NHL before we trade him away

Reactions: arun

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad