Confirmed with Link: [COL/MIN] Ian Cole for Greg Pateryn

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
We should all give Dater some credit on this one btw. He speculated weeks ago that there were talks of the Avs potentially moving Cole to create some cap space and open up room for Byram and we all said he was crazy. He was bang on.

I love how he had to give himself props. He's such a tool with a severe inferiority complex.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
A number given to a man who knows he aint going to play lol. This is like a random number they give a prospect at Training Camp

Equipment guy: “Hey Bedsy, what number do you want to give Pateryn?”

Bendar: “Just give him a number that we know an important defenceman might not want down the line.”

Equipment guy: “80 is more of a wide receiver number than a hockey number. That work for you?”

Bednar: “Fine by me. If he asks for a different one, let him know the players exit is on the southwest side of the building.”

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I read a whole article about it once, they bring a few extra jerseys on the road for situations like this but may not have the capability to make up a whole jersey for new guy at a moment’s notice so that’s why weird numbers happen for a little bit. Remember when we picked up Wagner on waivers and he was 62 or something like that until the team got home? But hey if he just likes 80 then more power to him lol

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Interesting snippet from an article on nhl.com, where Guerin says that it was Sakic who approached him about Cole being available.

Cole traded to Wild by Avalanche for Pateryn

"Ian is a guy I know well from again my Pittsburgh days and somebody that I trust on the ice," said Wild general manager Bill Guerin, who was assistant GM of the Pittsburgh Penguins from 2014-19. "I like the way he carries himself. And when (Avalanche GM) Joe [Sakic] told me he'd be available, we worked on it quickly and we got something done."

Guerin said Cole's championship experience can be valuable for Minnesota, as is the fact that forward Nick Bonino also was on those two Cup-winning teams in Pittsburgh. The Wild acquired Bonino in a trade from the Nashville Predators on Oct. 7.

"It is a different experience, and one that, if we have guys that have been there before, and have accomplished that, it can only help," Guerin said. "Ian was an integral part of those wins, as was Bonino. They are guys that have great value and have a lot to offer and I have a ton of respect for that."

Richard Doll

Feb 18, 2020
Saint Albans, Vermont
We should all give Dater some credit on this one btw. He speculated weeks ago that there were talks of the Avs potentially moving Cole to create some cap space and open up room for Byram and we all said he was crazy. He was bang on.

Saying he is crazy for speculation would be him claiming the Avs are trading Mac and then it happens. No-one in the world would believe that speculation and that would be a major pat on the back if he was right on that.

Speculating that a bottom pairing defenseman on his last year may be moved to clear space isn't crazy nor is it a scoop.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Saying he is crazy for speculation would be him claiming the Avs are trading Mac and then it happens. No-one in the world would believe that speculation and that would be a major pat on the back if he was right on that.

Speculating that a bottom pairing defenseman on his last year may be moved to clear space isn't crazy nor is it a scoop.
Yeah this entire board had discussed the viability of trading Cole long before Dater wrote his speculative article. Not to toot my own horn but I even made a thread about a Cole trade on the main boards last week. It hardly took a genius to figure out that Cole would be the first one to get shipped out if we needed capspace and if Timmins and Byram were the real deal to start the season. I guess credit to Dater for at least realising and stating the obvious though.

Reactions: Richard Doll

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I hate Dater more than anyone but I’m still giving him plenty of credit on a job well done here. He said the Avs were looking into treading Ian Cole. A few days later Friedman piggybacks what Dater says. Then a week later he’s traded and Guerin comes out and says that Sakic called and said he’s made Cole available.

Say what you want about Dater. Say he made a guess. Say he’s a clown. Say anything. But the fact is he was right.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I said it earlier he put it out there. Maybe Dater got lucky but I think it’s fine to say he got that right. But then he follows it up by saying Byram might sign his ELC soon is just such a mind blowing show of ignorance it’s incredible so tough to bank up a lot of credit there.
:laugh:

Reactions: xpatriatedtexan

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
I hate Dater more than anyone but I’m still giving him plenty of credit on a job well done here. He said the Avs were looking into treading Ian Cole. A few days later Friedman piggybacks what Dater says. Then a week later he’s traded and Guerin comes out and says that Sakic called and said he’s made Cole available.

Say what you want about Dater. Say he made a guess. Say he’s a clown. Say anything. But the fact is he was right.

He made a guess and he’s a clown.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015

If you guess random Avs stuff every day at some point you will get it right, especially if the guess makes sense.

Dater is full of shit and gets things wrong so often thats he has become a joke.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
This needed to happen. I’m glad it did.

When you’re a team with aspirations, you can’t have guys like this on the roster.

It might be fair to say he sabotaged the Avs in the playoffs. It might also be too strong to say he sabotaged the Avs in the playoffs. But it’s certainly fair to question whether he’s one of the guys who grew tired of the bubble and mailed it in.

He was so bad. It’s strange to see discussion of him wanting another contract after that. So bad.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
He’s a 7D. I didn’t think he was great, but he’ll be an upgrade over Barberio and Connauton from last year.

He played well on the PK, before taking that penalty. If he gets into games moving forward I hope Bednar can keep him around 10 minutes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->