Player Discussion Cody Ceci | Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
When is this douche getting signed so we can get on with the rest of our miserable team.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Per Friedman, Ceci at 4.3

Definitely not worth what he was awarded, but this is much better than anything north of 5 mil.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
4.3 is reasonable for a second-pairing D. So I'm pretty ok with this.
Garrioch and Dean Brown keep saying everyone in the league wants Ceci, so he should be movable for a prospect of some sort if he keeps being Cecesque.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I don't mind it at one year. Glad we aren't signing a long term deal at that kind of money though, I would rather see if there's any improvement this year or if we should be getting off the pot at this point.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
This Ceci hatefest is getting pathetic.

I get that every fanbase needs a whipping boy, but hearing hyperbole about how terrible he is on a daily basis is getting old at this point.

He's not amazing but he's not terrible either. He's a decent 2nd pairing D in over his head playing #1 D minutes against top competition.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008

I get that every fanbase needs a whipping boy, but hearing hyperbole about how terrible he is on a daily basis is getting old at this point.

He's not amazing but he's not terrible either. He's a decent 2nd pairing D in over his head playing #1 D minutes against top competition.

He is 8th in the league in EV + PK TOI since Boucher took over.
He has had the toughest QoC on the team since Boucher took over.
He has had essentially no PP time since Boucher took over.
He has not been played to his strengths whatsoever since Boucher took over.

That's at a level where walking away isn't crazy.

It won't happen, but yikes.

It would actually be extremely stupid (or "crazy") since Ceci could easily be dealt somewhere for a valuable asset if the team really doesn't want to retain him.

Reactions: Bean Drown

Punchbowl

Apr 4, 2010
I don't mind it at one year. Glad we aren't signing a long term deal at that kind of money though, I would rather see if there's any improvement this year or if we should be getting off the pot at this point.

Yeah, keeping him for a year seems like a good option.

If Karlsson does end up getting moved, Ceci becomes our #1 D in terms of TOI. We can re-evaluate his future with the team at year's end when we'll hopefully have some young players ready to step into larger roles (praying for Chabot, Jaros, Wolanin, etc.).

It also enables us to keep an asset which (supposedly) has high value around the league for an extra year.

As an aside, I'd really love to see the team play Ceci in a role more suited to his ability. We might actually be able to properly assess how good he can be when he doesn't have to play a shut-down role.

It would also kill an analytic arguments in his favour if he were given more favourable deployment.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Ceci will get 4.2 mill

Pretty good guess. He gets 4.3M.

Sens won't walk away. They had to expect to pay Ceci something in the 4M range.

If Ottawa elects for a 1 year term, I think that's a sign that they'd want to trade Ceci by the end of next season. A 1 year term opens up a new team to be able to sign Ceci to a long term extension as soon as January 2019 rather than having to be in the awkward spot where a team wants to acquire Ceci with 1.5 years left as a long term piece, but can't ink a contract until July 1st 2019.

If the Sens intend on keeping Ceci, electing for a 2 year term makes the most sense because now with a 4.3M salary, the minimum Ceci can make next year if qualified would be 4.3M. The only reason in this case to go with a 1 year deal would be to keep the option open of potentially just walking away from Ceci as a UFA next year because they don't think he is worth 4.3M and aren't sure there's a trade market for him. I don't think this is likely, but on a 1 year deal, the Senators could opt not to qualify Ceci next year, and then not have to pay him 4.3M for a second season.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015

It would actually be extremely stupid (or "crazy") since Ceci could easily be dealt somewhere for a valuable asset if the team really doesn't want to retain him.

He sucked before Boucher too.

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster

He' been thrown to the wolves, and although he's not great, and I'm sure Chabot will pass him soon, he's still probably the second best D on this team as it stands today. The talk of walking away from his arbitration ruling is nuts.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes

The league is filled with 2nd pairing dman playing over their heads that look nowhere near as terrible as Ceci. He plays a lot but not all these dmen around him are getting #1 d minutes.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau

One day maybe someone will come up with an actual reason other than TOI and deployment to help their argument that Cody Ceci is a good hockey player, until then, whipping boy status is well-deserved.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
The league is filled with 2nd pairing dman playing over their heads that look nowhere near as terrible as Ceci. He plays a lot but not all these dmen around him are getting #1 d minutes.

I'd argue that no, there has not been a player who has been played over their head anywhere close to Ceci. Maybe Ristolainen, who plays elite 1D minutes while being more of a fringe 1/2D, maybe Zaitsev, who struggled in the exact same way that Ceci did (maybe worse). Pretty much all of those other guys are 1s, 2s and elite #3.

One day maybe someone will come up with an actual reason other than TOI and deployment to help their argument that Cody Ceci is a good hockey player, until then, whipping boy status is well-deserved.

If Stone started playing 3 mins more per game, he would start to suck, too. Would that be Stone's fault? No. It would be the coaches.

There's also the fact that he's one of ~70 DMen to score 10+ goals in a season over the past three years, the fact that he was a productive, physical DMan as a 20-22-year-old.... if you can't separate deployment from ability, that says a lot more about your struggles than it does about Ceci's. If you can't separate emotion and expectation from evaluation, all the same.

Ceci is an NHL DMan, he'd thrive if he was playing 20mins/night with some PP time, and he's not the reason for our struggles. He is a symptom of our struggles.

I'm not even a Ceci fan but good god this board is insufferable when it comes to him.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
I'd value Ceci around 3-4 mil so considering how much we over-play him, 4.3 is pretty fair. Glad it'll only be a year or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad