Player Discussion Cody Ceci | Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I don't get why each side needs to hear what the other says about them in these arbitration hearings...seems to me all that does is create hurt feelings/bad blood between the team and its player. Why not just have the GM and the player agent plead their cases separately to the arbitrator and wait for his/her decision?

Yeah...I always go back to the Milbury-Salo thing.

Ceci definitely isn't a star, but he is a defenseman with one of the hardest jobs on the team....do we really want to walk into arbitration and crush whatever little bit of confidence he has in himself? Does anyone here think he'll suddenly play a lot better after having Sens org ripping him to shreds?

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
I could be wrong, but I don't think the players are obligated to be there.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Yeah...I always go back to the Milbury-Salo thing.

Ceci definitely isn't a star, but he is a defenseman with one of the hardest jobs on the team....do we really want to walk into arbitration and crush whatever little bit of confidence he has in himself? Does anyone here think he'll suddenly play a lot better after having Sens org ripping him to shreds?

It's not like they low-balled Ceci. They can make a strong case that most metrics cast him as a $3.5mil DMan, whereas the only metric the Ceci side can really rely on that casts him as a $6.0mil DMan is TOI. If Ceci doesn't realize that he's being forced into a larger role because the team lacks adequate players to help fill that role, I would be very surprised. And, if he really isn't aware of that fact, maybe hearing it won't be such a bad thing.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
It's not like they low-balled Ceci. They can make a strong case that most metrics cast him as a $3.5mil DMan, whereas the only metric the Ceci side can really rely on that casts him as a $6.0mil DMan is TOI. If Ceci doesn't realize that he's being forced into a larger role because the team lacks adequate players to help fill that role, I would be very surprised. And, if he really isn't aware of that fact, maybe hearing it won't be such a bad thing.

Unfortunately only certain metrics are allowed inside arbitration, and the ones that paint Ceci in a bad light (shot impacts, etc.) wouldn't be among them. I expect him to be awarded over what he actually deserves. I think it will be a wash after Stone's arbitration though because he'll get less than he deserves for the same reason imo.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Unfortunately only certain metrics are allowed inside arbitration, and the ones that paint Ceci in a bad light (shot impacts, etc.) wouldn't be among them. I expect him to be awarded over what he actually deserves. I think it will be a wash after Stone's arbitration though because he'll get less than he deserves for the same reason imo.

I think those stats (the inadmissible ones) would work both ways with Ceci.

Those stats can contextualize his 19 points.
Those stats can contextualize his +/- (stupid stat but yes, it is used quite frequently as a metric).
Those stats can contextualize a lot of statistical warts that Ceci has.

In fact, amongst the NHL.com advanced stats, almost all of them besides ones pertaining to zone starts paint an unfavorable picture for Ceci.

Reactions: BigRig4

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009

What? Stones stats are good. Cecis stats are bad.

Where are you even getting this idea from?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
In a way I feel kind of sorry for Ceci.. He was never a defensive D coming into the NHL and then he's asked to play that role, the toughest role in the NHL for over 20 minutes a game.. they blow sunshine up his butt, and then they tell him how much of a failure he is :laugh:

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
If the contract awarded is more than $4.7 million annually, the Senators can deny the ruling and Ceci would become an unrestricted free agent.

lol don't ever see the team walking from Ceci, but if it's over $5M, there is a possibility.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
When mediocre talent can demand and even earn $5M-$6M and more per season then contracts have gotten way out of hand because the NHL and players think fan money is a bottomless pit. In the end it's the fans who pay whether it's to put their butt in the stands or watch on TV for what in many cases is an inferior product. It's all about billionaires and millionaires playing games with the fans. They could control costs (really profits on the backs of the fans) and lower prices drastically if they wanted to but contracts and min/max caps are designed to escalate quickly and the NHL has done nothing to stop it. With very early free agency and arb rights they have caused it to accelerate in many markets beyond their fans ability or willingness to pay.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Seems like everyone is playing diddle for the middle... So 5 Million .. One great year

Weird I don’t see everyone in here losing their mind over the fact that a team just set an arbitration number for a guy who scored 40+ goals for them of $3.5 million.

If that had happened here, no matter the context, you guys would be ready to burn this f***ing place down.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Weird I don’t see everyone in here losing their mind over the fact that a team just set an arbitration number for a guy who scored 40+ goals for them of $3.5 million.

If that had happened here, no matter the context, you guys would be ready to burn this ****ing place down.

Easy there, Vegas as an organization seem to know what they are doing, Ottawa doesn't. The fan reaction is more to the incompetence of our own team, not relative to the general state of NHL negotiations

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Easy there, Vegas as an organization seem to know what they are doing, Ottawa doesn't. The fan reaction is more to the incompetence of our own team, not relative to the general state of NHL negotiations

So everyone is way overreacting to a process that’s not even complete because it’s ottawa and for literally no other reason whatsoever. Good to see you just said the exact same thing I did...

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau

If that had happened here, no matter the context, you guys would be ready to burn this ****ing place down.

At least Vegas, a competent organization who values their best players is offering Karlsson a substantial 2.5 million dollar raise, while the Ottawa Senators are only offering a very very small raise to their best forward.

So, instead of complaining about the complainers, look deeper into the numbers and understand maybe why people are complaining.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
So everyone is way overreacting to a process that’s not even complete because it’s ottawa and for literally no other reason whatsoever. Good to see you just said the exact same thing I did...

Okay save your reaction for when you see fit to react, other people will comment on the ongoing state of the team. Are you a fan that only cheers when Ottawa wins the Stanley Cup or do you react to goals and fights - or do you just saving it all up for the Stanley Cup parade that is going to happen in the future.

Your angry reaction to the fans is just emotion directed at your fellow fan instead of management - exact same thing, but for some reason you think your reaction is better then other peoples, it's not better, it's just a reaction like everyone else.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
More like he's tired of reading all of the middle ground panic between the start of something and the conclusion of it. People's freak out's get lost after the fact no matter what the outcome, but it's draining in the meantime reading all of it.

There is plenty of reason and time to freak out about things after we find out what happened, why must we fill the interim period with speculative panic as well? Since we do regardless, we can be a little forgiving of those who would like to fill this period with some positivity, or calls for patience, I mean it's only fair, and it does actually make sense deep down.

Reactions: Gil Scott Perron

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
In a way I feel kind of sorry for Ceci.. He was never a defensive D coming into the NHL and then he's asked to play that role, the toughest role in the NHL for over 20 minutes a game.. they blow sunshine up his butt, and then they tell him how much of a failure he is :laugh:
He really should be put in a more offensive role

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
At least Vegas, a competent organization who values their best players is offering Karlsson a substantial 2.5 million dollar raise, while the Ottawa Senators are only offering a very very small raise to their best forward.

So, instead of complaining about the complainers, look deeper into the numbers and understand maybe why people are complaining.

Offering Pageau money is competent?

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
Taking W Karlsson to arbitration actually makes sense from the team perspective considering he's had only 1 good year so I'm sure they are wary to sign him long-term....

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad