Cobra Kai new karate kid series on youtube

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Martin Kove and Billy Zabka held up well. Ralph Macchio still looks 12.

I always liked to think Revenge of the Nerds was a sequel where freed from the environment of Cobra Kai, Lamar was able to comfortably come out.

...and on The Deuce Office Haddix died and his estranged wife and son moved to California.
The show couldn't have happened if Macchio and Zabka weren't in very good shape. The story revolves around their characters' physical presence, which wouldn't have worked if either had become fat and creaky. Macchio's in his late 50s and can still pull off some very fluid moves, as well as pairing nicely with an onscreen wife who's 20 years younger. Zabka's 3/4 years younger and has the luxury of allowing his age to show a bit, since his character's had a tougher life, but he's totally believable in a fight. Kove is very fit for a man in his 70s, although they've worked a little harder to disguise his physical limits, which you can see when he walks.

My wife can't believe I'm watching the show -- it really is pure cheese -- but what keeps me interested is Zabka's character, whose journey is the center of the story.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
What's everyone opinion on season 2? I enjoyed season 1, but I thought season 2 wasn't very good, especially the ending for the most part

It was a bit more hokey than the first season but it had its moments.

It's pretty hard to follow-up on a premiere season of a show that relies so much on nostalgia.

The same occurred with Stranger Things.

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
i try to watch this show but its just to cheaply done... it feels like every episode is filmed in the dojo with rotating children actors. i agree that they try to milk the nostalgia. there is not even an attempt at creating something new. remove the karate, let jonny suffer from a drug addiction... play some drama, make something completely new instead of whatever this is.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
What's everyone opinion on season 2? I enjoyed season 1, but I thought season 2 wasn't very good, especially the ending for the most part

Season one was awesome. Season two fell off a cliff for me.

Wouldn't say it fell off a cliff, but it really was subpar. NyQuil is right that nostalgia factors in, Kreese and Miyagi's dojo bring something of the original film, but it's far from reuniting with Johnny and Daniel-san. There were also a lot of facilité and weak characters in the second season, that comic relief clerk-turned-ninja was awful, and the whole school fight ridiculous (though the ending of it is kind of surprising - didn't see that turn coming). Best thing they've done was to include a dying Tommy in it, not the best episode but that was ballsy and awkwardly touching. Season 3 should see Johnny and Larusso team up, could be fun.

I think everybody agrees that its mostly poorly made, that it makes no sense (that Miguel first fight in the cafeteria was at a Jackie Chan's level), but it's really just nerd-nostalgia shit done for fun, and it mostly works.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
Wouldn't say it fell off a cliff, but it really was subpar. NyQuil is right that nostalgia factors in, Kreese and Miyagi's dojo bring something of the original film, but it's far from reuniting with Johnny and Daniel-san. There were also a lot of facilité and weak characters in the second season, that comic relief clerk-turned-ninja was awful, and the whole school fight ridiculous (though the ending of it is kind of surprising - didn't see that turn coming). Best thing they've done was to include a dying Tommy in it, not the best episode but that was ballsy and awkwardly touching. Season 3 should see Johnny and Larusso team up, could be fun.

I think everybody agrees that its mostly poorly made, that it makes no sense (that Miguel first fight in the cafeteria was at a Jackie Chan's level), but it's really just nerd-nostalgia shit done for fun, and it mostly works.
I kind of liked the comic relief clerk-turned-ninja, but I think it would have made more sense if he joined the Miyagi dojo. The two characters that I dislike the most are Hawk and Demetri. Hawk because his transformation is not realistic, and Demetri because he's just annoying AF with his constant sarcasm and negativity

Reactions: TB12

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
I kind of liked the comic relief clerk-turned-ninja, but I think it would have made more sense if he joined the Miyagi dojo. The two characters that I dislike the most are Hawk and Demetri. Hawk because his transformation is not realistic, and Demetri because he's just annoying AF with his constant sarcasm and negativity

Agreed that they both became annoying caricatures. Hawk was cool in season 1 but got lame quickly. But above them, and apart from Stingray, Tory is the one I dislike the most, couldn't say exactly why, possibly the fact that she already was a ninja before any of the magical dojo lessons.

Anyway.... we'll all still watch season 3.

Reactions: Deadpool8812

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Started this about a week ago and have limited myself to 2 episodes per sitting. I'll do s2 e3-4 tonight.

So far, I'm hooked all the way. It's straight cheese for the most part, but they sneak in some really good character arcs and the nostalgia is 10/10. The acting is mostly trash but I can't look away because it's such a fun watch.

Macchio looks like he just healed up from his injury at the '84 all valley competition, and his on screen bride plays a great part alongside. Zabka is showing the age a little more but he's an easy guy to root for (where I'm at so far at least) and it makes it entertaining. Love the usage of the kids dictating who plays up the heel roles too. Their behavior and choices cause massive shifts in how I view OTHER characters.

Just a fun show.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Yeah, I'm loving Cobra Kai. Only on Episode 2 of Season 2 but the story is bothering me a little bit. Always loved those 80s Martial Arts movies though so this is a big nostalgic kick.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
I just finished season 1 and I can't really tell who the real protagonist of this story, is it Daniel and his protege Robbie ( Johnny's son) or is it Johnny and his geek Cobra kai students?

Reactions: TD Charlie

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I just finished season 1 and I can't really tell who the real protagonist of this story, is it Daniel and his protege Robbie ( Johnny's son) or is it Johnny and his geek Cobra kai students?

That's the genius of the show.

It's a bit like the early seasons of Billions where you find yourself rooting for both of the rivals.

Reactions: Duke74 and hoglund

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
finished both seasons. pretty fun. acting is a bit subpar. but nostaliga all around. johnny and daniel larusso sure aged alot.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com

That's the point and one of the best things about the show, they all have good traits and flaws. That part is the most realistic of the entire show.

Reactions: John Price

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
I was also shocked at how Macchio and Zabka showed signs of age after only 35 years. These guys are well-paid actors -- isn't there some kind of cream they can use?

I can't decide if this is brilliant sarcasm or dumb. I'll go with the former. Well played.

Reactions: Lshap

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
i try to watch this show but its just to cheaply done... it feels like every episode is filmed in the dojo with rotating children actors. i agree that they try to milk the nostalgia. there is not even an attempt at creating something new. remove the karate, let jonny suffer from a drug addiction... play some drama, make something completely new instead of whatever this is.

Well, he is a borderline functioning alcoholic....

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
I really like Hawk for some reason, even though he’s become a dick.

Something about him makes the show even more interesting for me.

He's really not menacing enough as the designed psychopath. Dutch was a scary mofo, Hawk is just a nerd cousin with a mohawk.

Reactions: TB12

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
That's the point and one of the best things about the show, they all have good traits and flaws. That part is the most realistic of the entire show.

I'm nearing the end of season 2, and I agree completely. The amount of heel turns for this cast has been wild. Everyone has switched sides 100 times it seems.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
He's really not menacing enough as the designed psychopath. Dutch was a scary mofo, Hawk is just a nerd cousin with a mohawk.

I was honestly waiting for him to yell out, get her a body bag during the final brawl in season 2.

I don't mind Hawk, he's clearly overcompensating, but Demitri I can't stand that kid, he needs a serious karate chop to the throat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad