Coach Discussion: Coaching Thread 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
it is odd that it seems everyone is taking pomos word when he is makes a evaluation of player in public...is he really that good of an evaluator of players with talent????

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
is this team going to be able to attract FA s -trade for players that r willing to come here or/and draft the talent that is going to be required to overcome pomos coaching deficiencies to put a winning/SC team on ice?...listening to the year end pressers, that seems to be the overall plan

Last edited:

omegaturk

Jan 23, 2021
Sucks to lose Vincent, but it seems Chevy has no issues letting talent just walk away most of the time. But a job is a job, you don't owe any work place unconditional loyalty, wish Vincent well in his new role.

Reactions: JetsUK

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
Sucks to lose Vincent, but it seems Chevy has no issues letting talent just walk away most of the time. But a job is a job, you don't owe any work place unconditional loyalty, wish Vincent well in his new role.

to certain players this organization seems to

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
it is odd that it seems everyone is taking pomos word when he is makes a evaluation of player in public...is he really that good of an evaluator of players with talent????
PoMo seems to be quite proficient at evaluating, developing and deploying 3rd and 4th line talents. He has helped evaluate and. develop quite a few excellent talents: Lowry, Copp, Armia, Tanev and Appleton are prime examples.

Where he is less than average, is in evaluating and effectively deploying elite and skilled talents with systems in place to support high level talent.

Reactions: rkp and surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
PoMo seems to be quite proficient at evaluating, developing and deploying 3rd and 4th line talents. He has helped evaluate and. develop quite a few excellent talents: Lowry, Copp, Armia, Tanev and Appleton are prime examples.

Where he is less than average, is in evaluating and effectively deploying elite and skilled talents with systems in place to support high level talent.

It's not really that surprising though, the players who play in a mannor he wants them to play get more minutes and opportunities. I'm sure Petan would have developed into a good Ayer as well if he got the minutes Maurice gave to Tanev.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
noel was not and is not a oratorical Svengali such as pomo
I went back and watched some old Noel interviews and there were times that he would call out management for not giving him enough talent to work with.

Reporters would ask him about the team’s poor performance and he would say stuff like “I don’t coach that way, this is the team that we have.”

Would Maurice ever say that?

Reactions: rkp

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I went back and watched some old Noel interviews and there were times that he would call out management for not giving him enough talent to work with.

Reporters would ask him about the team’s poor performance and he would say stuff like “I don’t coach that way, this is the team that we have.”

Would Maurice ever say that?

He sort of did this summer when talking about the defense on needing a partner for JoMo.

Reactions: snowkiddin

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
My favourite was when he said.

They are playing chess we're playing checkers.

I miss his how candid he was. Best post game interviews ever. I'd love to have beers with him.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I like Vincent a lot, and think he'll be a loss to the organization. He's done a good job developing some players, though I'm sometimes unsure what credit goes where in the development process. As an example, Stanley was considered a bust that was sinking at the end of last season, but has been a revelation after a strong off-season of training, it seems. I wonder what role the Jets' development personnel have in the whole mix.

In any case, I think Vincent will be an asset for Columbus, and probably has potential to be an effective NHL coach some day, in the right circumstance.

I'll miss his terrific interviews, and hope the Jets don't lose much in their development system.

Development is very much a two sided market.

Exhibit A: Stanley, Logan

I remember chatting with a friend who has access to the top skating coaches in the business. Their observations are consistent. Anyone can improve their skating if they have the desire and they put in the work. The number one failure point is low “give a shit factor”. Lots of pros show up and just go through the motions.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Development is very much a two sided market.

Exhibit A: Stanley, Logan

I remember chatting with a friend who has access to the top skating coaches in the business. Their observations are consistent. Anyone can improve their skating if they have the desire and they put in the work. The number one failure point is low “give a shit factor”. Lots of pros show up and just go through the motions.

Exactly this. I’ll start worrying about how Maurice treats young players when there’s one example of someone he “held back” going on to have huge success on another team.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I don’t come to this thread often, but I’ll just say that I’m tired of the excuses.

We start games unprepared to play 60 minutes, we take periods and sometimes entire games off, even absolutely imperative games in the playoffs.

Our team often looks like it has no idea what to do or how to play as a cohesive unit.

We have some top end talent and are fairly deep, with stellar goaltending.

Either it’s coaching or leadership imo. Perhaps both, but there is no excuse for a group of professional athletes and coaches to not know how to make the most of their team.

We are a hot mess and it makes me angry that Chevy seems to be ok with that.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I don’t come to this thread often, but I’ll just say that I’m tired of the excuses.

We start games unprepared to play 60 minutes, we take periods and sometimes entire games off, even absolutely imperative games in the playoffs.

Our team often looks like it has no idea what to do or how to play as a cohesive unit.

We have some top end talent and are fairly deep, with stellar goaltending.

Either it’s coaching or leadership imo. Perhaps both, but there is no excuse for a group of professional athletes and coaches to not know how to make the most of their team.

We are a hot mess and it makes me angry that Chevy seems to be ok with that.
I doubt that Chevy is okay with this roster or its performance, and I think that he knows that the team needs a revamp on defense. That's his job.

I suppose the question to ask is whether a needed big upgrade on D will solve some of the issues in terms of quality of play. The coaches and core forwards are more or less the same as the group that dominated in 2017/18, and were top-5 in the NHL (points %) through the first half of 2018/19.

Reactions: rkp and surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I doubt that Chevy is okay with this roster or its performance, and I think that he knows that the team needs a revamp on defense. That's his job.

I suppose the question to ask is whether a needed big upgrade on D will solve some of the issues in terms of quality of play. The coaches and core forwards are more or less the same as the group that dominated in 2017/18, and were top-5 in the NHL (points %) through the first half of 2018/19.

Well the leadership group and coaching will be the same next year so let's hope we get an upgraded defense so we can remove that variable from the equation.

Reactions: Mbraunm

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I like Vincent a lot, and think he'll be a loss to the organization. He's done a good job developing some players, though I'm sometimes unsure what credit goes where in the development process. As an example, Stanley was considered a bust that was sinking at the end of last season, but has been a revelation after a strong off-season of training, it seems. I wonder what role the Jets' development personnel have in the whole mix.

In any case, I think Vincent will be an asset for Columbus, and probably has potential to be an effective NHL coach some day, in the right circumstance.

I'll miss his terrific interviews, and hope the Jets don't lose much in their development system.

I think good development is very much good coaching/deriving a good development plan for the individual player and that player in turn buying in and working his butt off.

Vincent has been a big proponent of Stanley over the years and has detailed on a couple of occasions what they worked on with him. Logan obviously deserves a significant amount of credit for doing the work.

Some players know exactly what they need to work on but for many they have blind spots or faulty bias as to where there games are. Having coaches that can point out where they need to grow while putting in place a good series of steps on how to get there is very important and imo one of the reasons we are really starting to turn a lot of middling prospects into solid NHL players.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think good development is very much good coaching/deriving a good development plan for the individual player and that player in turn buying in and working his butt off.

Vincent has been a big proponent of Stanley over the years and has detailed on a couple of occasions what they worked on with him. Logan obviously deserves a significant amount of credit for doing the work.

Some players know exactly what they need to work on but for many they have blind spots or faulty bias as to where there games are. Having coaches that can point out where they need to grow while putting in place a good series of steps on how to get there is very important and imo one of the reasons we are really starting to turn a lot of middling prospects into solid NHL players.
Agree.

My point is more about the perspectives that many fans have about the development process, and how much depends on the players' attitude and approach to improvement. For Stanley, he always had a good hockey IQ, and his time with the Moose allowed him to learn how to adapt to a higher pace. But he would never have amounted to anything if he didn't put in the work to improve his skating, quickness, and stamina. That's a combination of drafting players with a good work ethic, working closely on all aspects of development, and giving opportunities and coaching to learn how to apply the skills.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Agree.

My point is more about the perspectives that many fans have about the development process, and how much depends on the players' attitude and approach to improvement. For Stanley, he always had a good hockey IQ, and his time with the Moose allowed him to learn how to adapt to a higher pace. But he would never have amounted to anything if he didn't put in the work to improve his skating, quickness, and stamina. That's a combination of drafting players with a good work ethic, working closely on all aspects of development, and giving opportunities and coaching to learn how to apply the skills.

Yup, you hit on the reason that we go for kids with high character and work rates along with high hockey IQ.

It just continues to floor me that we play the type of hockey we play when hockey IQ is supposed to be one of the main things we draft.

Last edited:

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Yup, you hot on the reason that we go for kids with high character and work rates along with high hockey IQ.

It just continues to floor me that we play the type of hockey we play when hockey IQ is supposed to be one of the main things we draft.

Agree. Hard to escape the conclusion that we have a team full of high-Q players and prospects struggling to work out systems and routes (especially on defence and breakouts) that just don't seem to be optimized for them.

I wonder whether Cole Perfetti, who is pretty clearly one of the hockey-smartest prospects we've had come through the system, and can be pretty blunt in interviews, might be a player who can push things forward a bit, along with Heinola, if he's still here.

These coaching threads often hearken back to the golden year of 2918-19, but given the team's plays since then, even taking account of the Great Defenceman Exodus, I sometimes wonder if 2018-19 wasn't really a juggernaut team outplaying its coaching, rather than a brilliantly coached team.

But as several posters have noted, it doesn't really matter. Maurice is the HC until he isn't. And win or lose next year I can see the Jets exercising that extra year option. Or even extending him further.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Agree. Hard to escape the conclusion that we have a team full of high-Q players and prospects struggling to work out systems and routes (especially on defence and breakouts) that just don't seem to be optimized for them.

I wonder whether Cole Perfetti, who is pretty clearly one of the hockey-smartest prospects we've had come through the system, and can be pretty blunt in interviews, might be a player who can push things forward a bit, along with Heinola, if he's still here.

These coaching threads often hearken back to the golden year of 2918-19, but given the team's plays since then, even taking account of the Great Defenceman Exodus, I sometimes wonder if 2018-19 wasn't really a juggernaut team outplaying its coaching, rather than a brilliantly coached team.

But as several posters have noted, it doesn't really matter. Maurice is the HC until he isn't. And win or lose next year I can see the Jets exercising that extra year option. Or even extending him further.

Well they left themselves an out next year, whether they choose to exercise it or not I think will come down to performance next year. We will have fans back in the building and I imagine Chipman will want a deep playoff run to maximize revenue. I can't see the org being happy with missing the post season or going out in round 1.

Reactions: JetsUK
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad