Coach Discussion: Coaching Thread 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I don’t come to this thread often, but I’ll just say that I’m tired of the excuses.

We start games unprepared to play 60 minutes, we take periods and sometimes entire games off, even absolutely imperative games in the playoffs.

Our team often looks like it has no idea what to do or how to play as a cohesive unit.

We have some top end talent and are fairly deep, with stellar goaltending.

Either it’s coaching or leadership imo. Perhaps both, but there is no excuse for a group of professional athletes and coaches to not know how to make the most of their team.

We are a hot mess and it makes me angry that Chevy seems to be ok with that.

The players love him he loves the players.
On the surface that’s good but on the other hand the same results and everybody is satisfied aka complacent.
That includes management and ownership.
Until the fans voice concerns nothing will change here.
TNSE appears to enjoy the devil you know vs. The alternative.
So @Howard Chuck get used to more of the same and I fully agree with you.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The players love him he loves the players.
On the surface that’s good but on the other hand the same results and everybody is satisfied aka complacent.
That includes management and ownership.
Until the fans voice concerns nothing will change here.
TNSE appears to enjoy the devil you know vs. The alternative.
So @Howard Chuck get used to more of the same and I fully agree with you.

I honestly don't get why the players liking him should at all weigh in. I think all they need to do is respect the coach and buy in.

I also think players and staff are too comfortable right now. I would like to see something done to make things a bit uncomfortable in the room.

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
I honestly don't get why the players liking him should at all weigh in. I think all they need to do is respect the coach and buy in.

I also think players and staff are too comfortable right now. I would like to see something done to make things a bit uncomfortable in the room.

winner winner chicken dinner

Reactions: TheGovernment

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Well our coaching staff need to have a big summer and come to camp well prepared.

I have to think there will be pressure to put out not only a winning product but an entertaining one with fans back I
In the stands.

There will also be pressure to but Dubois in a spot to take that step forward. He's the biggest acquisition Chevy has made so Moe is going to be under the gun to get him going. He needs a well defined role and he needs to be in the bumper position on pp1.

Our coaching staff can't over extend our top dmen again playing them with crap. Hopefully Chevy can bring in a couple of good dmen to round the group out.

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
Agree. Hard to escape the conclusion that we have a team full of high-Q players and prospects struggling to work out systems and routes (especially on defence and breakouts) that just don't seem to be optimized for them.

I wonder whether Cole Perfetti, who is pretty clearly one of the hockey-smartest prospects we've had come through the system, and can be pretty blunt in interviews, might be a player who can push things forward a bit, along with Heinola, if he's still here.

These coaching threads often hearken back to the golden year of 2918-19, but given the team's plays since then, even taking account of the Great Defenceman Exodus, I sometimes wonder if 2018-19 wasn't really a juggernaut team outplaying its coaching, rather than a brilliantly coached team.

But as several posters have noted, it doesn't really matter. Maurice is the HC until he isn't. And win or lose next year I can see the Jets exercising that extra year option. Or even extending him further.
I'm starting to believe that was the case. That team was much like the Blue Jays World Series teams in that it was so good it didn't matter who was running the bench. Upon a rewatch last year some of the decisions that Gaston made were absoultly head scratching. Joe Carter over John Olerud at first base in 92 almost cost them game 6 and again the next year. Cito loved his vets and basically ran Shawn Green out of town. Kind of sounds familiar.

Reactions: Mbraunm

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
I don’t come to this thread often, but I’ll just say that I’m tired of the excuses.

We start games unprepared to play 60 minutes, we take periods and sometimes entire games off, even absolutely imperative games in the playoffs.

Our team often looks like it has no idea what to do or how to play as a cohesive unit.

We have some top end talent and are fairly deep, with stellar goaltending.

Either it’s coaching or leadership imo. Perhaps both, but there is no excuse for a group of professional athletes and coaches to not know how to make the most of their team.

We are a hot mess and it makes me angry that Chevy seems to be ok with that.
Hot mess sums it up. More importantly Chipman seems ok with it. That's an even bigger problem.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
I'm starting to believe that was the case. That team was much like the Blue Jays World Series teams in that it was so good it didn't matter who was running the bench. Upon a rewatch last year some of the decisions that Gaston made were absoultly head scratching. Joe Carter over John Olerud at first base in 92 almost cost them game 6 and again the next year. Cito loved his vets and basically ran Shawn Green out of town. Kind of sounds familiar.

who got ran out of town? honest question

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

Nobody was ran out of town, it's people's perceptions based on who they think should've played in certain lines/combos and didn't, leading to jumping to conclusions that a player was ran out of town.

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
Nobody was ran out of town, it's people's perceptions based on who they think should've played in certain lines/combos and didn't, leading to jumping to conclusions that a player was ran out of town.
Refering to the vets over youth and the team being so good that tallent could over come questionible coaching decisions. The Shawn Green thing was more of Gaston and bench coach Gene Tennece making life rather difficult for their best prospect. By the time he was traded they were both gone but it was one of the things that lead to him not wanting to resign among many other factors.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
Exactly this. I’ll start worrying about how Maurice treats young players when there’s one example of someone he “held back” going on to have huge success on another team.
Could Roslovic not kinda fit this, tho? I know he could have broken out this year just as easily with the Jets but..

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Could Roslovic not kinda fit this, tho? I know he could have broken out this year just as easily with the Jets but..

That’s probably the best example, but he played lots in the top 6. I’m thinking more of a player who couldn’t get in the lineup or was stuck on the 4th line, that explodes elsewhere.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
That’s probably the best example, but he played lots in the top 6. I’m thinking more of a player who couldn’t get in the lineup or was stuck on the 4th line, that explodes elsewhere.
Yeah, he definitely was given opportunity… I just don’t think Roslovic has it upstairs to be a truly high-end, impact player. Tools are there, tho.

Reactions: sipowicz

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
If we get that dmen to play with JoMo there should be zero excuses for him next season. He will have a very sound defense to go with our dynamic forwards and he even gets to keep one of his good vets in Stastny. No excuses!

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
If we get that dmen to play with JoMo there should be zero excuses for him next season. He will have a very sound defense to go with our dynamic forwards and he even gets to keep one of his good vets in Stastny. No excuses!

Agreed

Reactions: MardyBum

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I'd really like someone to post the WAR or fancy stats for the Morrissey-DeMelo combo last season and the one before... they have chemistry - DeMelo is the RHD that we need with JoMo - there's literally no upgrade available to the Jets not named Dougie Hamilton.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'd really like someone to post the WAR or fancy stats for the Morrissey-DeMelo combo last season and the one before... they have chemistry - DeMelo is the RHD that we need with JoMo - there's literally no upgrade available to the Jets not named Dougie Hamilton.

Not on the FA market but if you can get a good dmen in a trade then maybe you go for it.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Not on the FA market but if you can get a good dmen in a trade then maybe you go for it.
I agree - I’m still a huge fan of Connor Murphy but I just don’t see these guys available without a massive overpay

then I see reactionary UFA suggestions like Montour who is basically just DeMelo except he’s fallen off a cliff

None

Feb 22, 2012
So with the Stasney signing and Dillon trade this has to be Maurice’s last kick at the can right? How long of a leash does he get?

I don't think I'm being too hyperbolic with setting the expectation of being comfortably in the playoffs for the majority of the season.

Reactions: surixon

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
I don't think I'm being too hyperbolic with setting the expectation of being comfortably in the playoffs for the majority of the season.
It will be most interesting to see what happens with them back in the Central Division. Arizion is trash, St. Louis and Nashville look to be retooling. If Chicago's moves payoff maybe they push for a spot. Regardless, going out like they did the last three years is unacceptable. But this is TSNE so who knows.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Given that we now look to have a very good D core to go with our high end forwards and Vezina goalie I think we can discuss what our coaching staff should be looking to do.

We should have a dcore that can transition well and support the rush. Three of them should be able to jump up into the play and work in a offensive 5 man rotation in the offensive end.

Given the team there should be no excuse for Maurice to trot out the same old basic and restrictive systems he has used the last two years.

I want to continue to see the zone hybrid with strong side overload in our end this year that we saw against Edmonton last year. We should be able to exploit the quick turnover and quick strike transition that the system creates at a higher rate with this dcore.

Offensively there should be no reason to continue with a very cautious down low 3 man cycle. We need merge our transition dominance with the hard 2-1-2 forecheck we used in 17-18. Once in the offensive end there should be no reason not to incorporate all 5 players into our attacks especially when we have either of the top two pairings on the ice.

Come on Maurice prove me wrong this year and incorporate something robust and modern.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Given that we now look to have a very good D core to go with our high end forwards and Vezina goalie I think we can discuss what our coaching staff should be looking to do.

We should have a dcore that can transition well and support the rush. Three of them should be able to jump up into the play and work in a offensive 5 man rotation in the offensive end.

Given the team there should be no excuse for Maurice to trot out the same old basic and restrictive systems he has used the last two years.

I want to continue to see the zone hybrid with strong side overload in our end this year that we saw against Edmonton last year. We should be able to exploit the quick turnover and quick strike transition that the system creates at a higher rate with this dcore.

Offensively there should be no reason to continue with a very cautious down low 3 man cycle. We need merge our transition dominance with the hard 2-1-2 forecheck we used in 17-18. Once in the offensive end there should be no reason not to incorporate all 5 players into our attacks especially when we have either of the top two pairings on the ice.

Come on Maurice prove me wrong this year and incorporate something robust and modern.
This is a really nice Dcore with depth - I’m actually hopeful

Reactions: surixon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->