Coach Discussion: Coaching Thread 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlaskaJet

Retrieves pucks and ducks
Sep 29, 2017
Olympia, Washington
Here’s hoping Lowry gets the green light to mix up lines as he sees fit on the fly..but there is the ever looming presence of Maurice..
I wonder what other teams have given forward coaches the green light?

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I absolutely hate losing Vincent. That is a big blow to our development team. I would have juat as soon given him the head coaching job over Maurice then loose him.

Best of luck Pascal!

Perhaps he saw the Lowry acquisition as potentially blocking his advancement.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Cross-posting from the Moose thread:

More details from The Athetic:

I think Pascal is terrific,” Noel said. “Young, innovative, progressive … and he has great core values. It’s an excellent fit in Columbus, and he’ll really be well-liked there. He’s very passionate and personable.

“He’s also a very hard worker. I can’t say enough good things about him. He has a very bright future.”

When the Blue Jackets began searching for a head coach after parting ways with John Tortorellaafter the season, Vincent was one of the names that quickly surfaced as a possible candidate for the job that Larsen eventually filled. He was never interviewed for the job.

Vincent had been seen as a strong candidate to replace coach Paul Maurice in Winnipeg, but Maurice, after eight seasons with the Jets, appears safe despite winning only one playoff round in the last three seasons.

Based on the bolded, Vincent likely knew that his options were limited with the Jets. I’m kinda bummed out by this — would have loved to see him get his shot, but we like our team, really like where we’re headed, dynasty incoming, etc.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I liked Pascal Vincent, but what was it about his performance that makes some seem to think he'd be a good NHL coach? Claude Noel's record in the AHL was much better than Vincent's, so...

Reactions: Pandemonia and Jet

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I liked Pascal Vincent, but what was it about his performance that makes some seem to think he'd be a good NHL coach? Claude Noel's record in the AHL was much better than Vincent's, so...

I mean different mandates but sure.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Regarding the "there goes our future head coach statements" - I'm pretty sure Pascal Vincent will cancel his assistant coach job with CBJ immediately if we let's say call him as a PoMo replacement mid-season 21/22. He'll be gone as soon as he was gone from the Moose for the CBJ job now. It's just business.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Vincent was my favorite coach personality wise in our system. He will be a head coach in the NHL one day and I really hope he makes the best of it. All the best Vinny you were a total class act.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Very sad news. He used the Jets systems but applied them much better than Maurice did. The Moose were a better coached team than the Jets for sure.
I realize he had a different mandate with the Moose, but his record as a head coach was 137-126-26 at the AHL level, and missed the playoffs 3 of 4 years.

I liked how they played at times, but it's not like the Moose took the AHL by storm under his coaching.

Reactions: Pandemonia and Jet

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Sure, but the role of an NHL head coach isn't to develop players.

Agreed, but he was a very successful junior coach when the mandate would have been to win. He made the playoffs every year and was past the first round in 8 of 11 years.

He has two coach of the year awards in two different leagues.

I think he is very well regarded with a strong history of accomplishing what his mandate would be depending on the level.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Agreed, but he was a very successful junior coach when the mandate would have been to win. He made the playoffs every year and was past the first round in 8 of 11 years.

He has two coach of the year awards in two different leagues.

I think he is very well regarded with a strong history of accomplishing what his mandate would be depending on the level.
Every NHL coach had a stellar record at lower levels prior to joining the NHL.

My point is that I think it's hard to really assess NHL head coach potential. I like Pascal, but the notion that he was an ideal replacement for Maurice isn't really rooted in anything other than the fact that he was a good interview and some players developed well under his tutelage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->