Coach Discussion: Coaching Thread 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Every NHL coach had a stellar record at lower levels prior to joining the NHL.

My point is that I think it's hard to really assess NHL head coach potential. I like Pascal, but the notion that he was an ideal replacement for Maurice isn't really rooted in anything other than the fact that he was a good interview and some players developed well under his tutelage.

Fair enough, I've just seen a lot to like in how he approaches things to give him an opportunity.

I think we've gone as far as we can under Moe. Hopefully we bring another good developmental coach for the Moose.

Reactions: hn777

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Agreed, but he was a very successful junior coach when the mandate would have been to win. He made the playoffs every year and was past the first round in 8 of 11 years.

He has two coach of the year awards in two different leagues.

I think he is very well regarded with a strong history of accomplishing what his mandate would be depending on the level.

I think this is a very succinct way of viewing PV's coaching achievements. He's shown that he can win when winning was the aim, and that he can steward player development to a very high level when that was the aim. His players think very highly of him and he has consistently shown himself to be an astute thinker of the game with the ability to analyze players' development curves and explain those curves to interested observers -- he's never been a folksy soundbite guy, and seems to treat others with respect -- these all speak to his capacity to coach effectively at higher levels.

I found myself puzzled, once again, by the "But what has he done at the NHL level?" posts given that we have been advised often in these very threads to set aside what PoMo has done for more than two decades at the NHL level, because goaltending, injuries, unfair reffing, no fans in the stands, who are these AHL defensemen anyway, etc. Should we compare PV's record in the bigs to Maurice's at this point? Of course not. But if PV hasn't yet succeeded at the NHL level yet, he hasn't failed either.

Shout-out to @ps241 for putting so eloquently what should probs be the last word on this:

Vincent was my favorite coach personality wise in our system. He will be a head coach in the NHL one day and I really hope he makes the best of it. All the best Vinny you were a total class act.

Amen.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think this is a very succinct way of viewing PV's coaching achievements. He's shown that he can win when winning was the aim, and that he can steward player development to a very high level when that was the aim. His players think very highly of him and he has consistently shown himself to be an astute thinker of the game with the ability to analyze players' development curves and explain those curves to interested observers -- he's never been a folksy soundbite guy, and seems to treat others with respect -- these all speak to his capacity to coach effectively at higher levels.

I found myself puzzled, once again, by the "But what has he done at the NHL level?" posts given that we have been advised often in these very threads to set aside what PoMo has done for more than two decades at the NHL level, because goaltending, injuries, unfair reffing, no fans in the stands, who are these AHL defensemen anyway, etc. Should we compare PV's record in the bigs to Maurice's at this point? Of course not. But if PV hasn't yet succeeded at the NHL level yet, he hasn't failed either.

Shout-out to @ps241 for putting so eloquently what should probs be the last word on this:

Vincent was my favorite coach personality wise in our system. He will be a head coach in the NHL one day and I really hope he makes the best of it. All the best Vinny you were a total class act.

Amen.
I like Vincent, but if the Jets replace Maurice I would hope they look further than previous assistants and AHL coaches in the Jets' system. I think a clean start might be a better approach.

Remember, Vincent was an Assistant under Maurice for some time, so it's quite possible that he would maintain similar approaches to playing style, PP systems, etc.

Reactions: Jets 31

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I like Vincent, but if the Jets replace Maurice I would hope they look further than previous assistants and AHL coaches in the Jets' system. I think a clean start might be a better approach.

Remember, Vincent was an Assistant under Maurice for some time, so it's quite possible that he would maintain similar approaches to playing style, PP systems, etc.

Interesting question on style preferred. I am not sure what Vincent would use, does anyone know what types of systems he used in junior?

I think we have people who know what Lowry ran in Brandon and Voctoria but I am curious if anyone knows how Voncent coached in juniors.

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
Sure, but the role of an NHL head coach isn't to develop players.
Even if I accept this presupposition, I'd at least like to have a head coach that understands player development, recognizes strengths and weaknesses in players and knows how to put them in a position to succeed while mitigating against weaknesses (and not overreacting to perceived weaknesses and hindering development).

Someone who at least understands development enough to have assistants work on developing players in the NHL. We should all want all of our players, even our stars, to keep improving and developing. This is how you increase your odds of winning (whether that's developing skills or developing habits or developing an understanding of how to play together as a team).

Last edited:
Reactions: Bigfish and surixon

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Every NHL coach had a stellar record at lower levels prior to joining the NHL.

My point is that I think it's hard to really assess NHL head coach potential. I like Pascal, but the notion that he was an ideal replacement for Maurice isn't really rooted in anything other than the fact that he was a good interview and some players developed well under his tutelage.
Well to be fair, the notion that Maurice was an ideal replacement for Noel was that he was a good interview and…well…….that’s all I got.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Loved what the Habs did in the off season. For a while it looked not so good but man it sure looks good now.

Everything is working, led by other worldly goaltending.

Suzuki is emerging as a true 1C. Chariot has been beastly. The PK is perfect. 4 lines all impacting the game.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Even if we accept this presupposition, I'd at least like to have a head coach that understands player development, recognizes strengths and weaknesses in players and knows how to put them in a position to succeed while mitigating against weaknesses (and not overreacting to perceived weaknesses and hindering development).

Someone who at least understands development enough to have assistants work on developing players in the NHL. We should all want all of our players, even our stars, to keep improving and developing. This is how you increase your odds of winning (whether that's developing skills or developing habits or developing an understanding of how to play together as a team).

Very well said and I agree fully. That was one of the reasons I would have liked to give him a shot, we have a number of fairly one dimensional players and having a coach with a real strong foundation in development could possibly lead to improvements in individual player weaknesses or at least improved habits.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes

Not saying he would be a good NHL head coach or not.. but I think he knew if he stayed in Winnipeg he was never going to get a shot at being the Jets head coach.

Reactions: rkp

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
He is basically taking the equivalent of his old job with the Jets, then? He must have taken the Moose HC job under the assumption that he would eventually move into the Jets HC role. Even if it's just a year more, you stick it out and do your time. PV not wanting to wait any longer may be a sign that Maurice is here for a much longer term, regardless of results.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
The bigger question for me is who replaces Pascal? But I'm going to guess Dave Lowry or Jamie Kompon take on the role.

But it would be funny if somehow Dubois's dad ended up in Columbus considering Pascal was the one who hired him on the Moose.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The bigger question for me is who replaces Pascal? But I'm going to guess Dave Lowry or Jamie Kompon take on the role.

But it would be funny if somehow Dubois's dad ended up in Columbus considering Pascal was the one who hired him on the Moose.
I would think Dubois is more likely to take over the Moose, but maybe one of the Jets' assistants.

I highly doubt that Dubois would end up in Columbus.

Reactions: surixon

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I liked Pascal Vincent, but what was it about his performance that makes some seem to think he'd be a good NHL coach? Claude Noel's record in the AHL was much better than Vincent's, so...

Yeah nothing against Vincent but I tend to agree

Lots of fans are pre-occupied with our young guys needing to be in the lineup. I get it. But if people think things cant get any worse than Maurice? Yeah that is not the case at all...

Reactions: Guffman

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yeah nothing against Vincent but I tend to agree

Lots of fans are pre-occupied with our young guys needing to be in the lineup. I get it. But if people think things cant get any worse than Maurice? Yeah that is not the case at all...

The flip side is that it can be better as well. You need to take risks to win in this league and sometimes I find this org is far too conservative and ok with the status quo.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Nothing against Pascal but no big loss seeing him leave IMO, he didn’t bring anything special.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca