Coach Discussion: Coaching Thread 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

leer2006

Jan 20, 2010
Transcona
T
More and more I think about it I think Maurice is doing an ok job. Sure I don’t agree with Lowry on the third line making our fourth like obsolete or laines usage but he is just dealing what with he has.

It’s not his fault Chevy has drafted a bunch of soft offence first players in the first round. Maurice has to try and teach these kids how to play defense while still letting them loose offensively.

It would be a different story if we had at least one top 6 player that could play better then average defense.

The best defensive center we have is Lowry and I see why Maurice wants him on the ice so much as we have no other player on the entire roster that can shut down another teams top line.

I would never replace Scheif with couturier but I would bet that if it was that way Lowry would be a fourth line center on this team.

Our late round picks have not pushed their way onto this roster by any means and that’s not his fault it’s chevys.

Roslo isn’t what Chevy thought for sure and that’s hurting maurices deployment.

The cap structure on this team starting with Tanev will make players to expensive for us as they hit their prime. Lowry or Copp next which will hurt us even more.

Not one late round gem in almost a decade either. Most cup winners have one of these on their elcs or second bridge deal on the cheap.

Just playing the cards he’s dealt folks
Then reshuffle the deck! If those are the cards you have been dealt create a system that works for R
Those cards. Stop trying to force a square peg into a round hole. That’s Mo’s issue. He keeps trying the same thing regardless of the team he has. The way this team has been built it wasn’t meant for grinding dump and chase hockey.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
More and more I think about it I think Maurice is doing an ok job. Sure I don’t agree with Lowry on the third line making our fourth like obsolete or laines usage but he is just dealing what with he has.

It’s not his fault Chevy has drafted a bunch of soft offence first players in the first round. Maurice has to try and teach these kids how to play defense while still letting them loose offensively.

It would be a different story if we had at least one top 6 player that could play better then average defense.

The best defensive center we have is Lowry and I see why Maurice wants him on the ice so much as we have no other player on the entire roster that can shut down another teams top line.

I would never replace Scheif with couturier but I would bet that if it was that way Lowry would be a fourth line center on this team.

Our late round picks have not pushed their way onto this roster by any means and that’s not his fault it’s chevys.

Roslo isn’t what Chevy thought for sure and that’s hurting maurices deployment.

The cap structure on this team starting with Tanev will make players to expensive for us as they hit their prime. Lowry or Copp next which will hurt us even more.

Not one late round gem in almost a decade either. Most cup winners have one of these on their elcs or second bridge deal on the cheap.

Just playing the cards he’s dealt folks

So, you've got one crowd that thinks Maurice is doing as good a job as he can but Chevy isn't getting the players we need. Another crowd thinks Chevy has assembled a fine team, but the coach isn't getting the best out of them. A third crowd thinks all is tickety-boo, Chevy and Mo are both doing a fine job, just keep plugging away, steady as she goes, it's all coming together according to plan.

Put me in Group D. :nod:

MVx73Na.gif

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
So, you've got one crowd that thinks Maurice is doing as good a job as he can but Chevy isn't getting the players we need. Another crowd thinks Chevy has assembled a fine team, but the coach isn't getting the best out of them. A third crowd thinks all is tickety-boo, Chevy and Mo are both doing a fine job, just keep plugging away, steady as she goes, it's all coming together according to plan.

Put me in Group D. :nod:

MVx73Na.gif

Group D would be the sky is falling and it has always been falling except for 2017-18 crowd.

Reactions: Duke749

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Group D would be the sky is falling and it has always been falling except for 2017-18 crowd.

Listen, the first game I ever attended, that memorable opening night against Montreal and I got hit in the head with a puck during warm-up as I was hanging my coat over my seat. Just came looping over the glass and fell out of the sky.

I should have realized then I was being given a sign. An omen. A portent of things to come. :laugh:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Listen, the first game I ever attended, that memorable opening night against Montreal and I got hit in the head with a puck during warm-up as I was hanging my coat over my seat. Just came looping over the glass and fell out of the sky.

I should have realized then I was being given a sign. An omen. A portent of things to come. :laugh:

I am dying laughing right now at work :laugh:

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I don’t know if this should go in this thread or GM thread or??
Since that magical run to the WCF this team has lacked real chemistry.
That year everyone had the next man up mentality and that was a great team to watch truly.
The very next season was a lot different and this past season between high turnover and injuries it wasn’t that fun to watch the last 2.
Will see what next season brings, it can’t get much worse can it?

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
That year everyone had the next man up mentality and that was a great team to watch truly.
The very next season was a lot different and this past season between high turnover and injuries it wasn’t that fun to watch the last 2.

I think it can get worse. Couple bottom pairing defensman and a couple rookies next year and it will be everyone’s worst nightmare

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
18/19 was a strange year. The team was nearly the same crew as the WCF appearance, yet just didn't look great. Even when they won, they looked off. Almost first in division, but blew it in the final week. There was this awful meme among the media and forums all season that the Jets would "flip the switch" in the playoffs. This, of course, did not happen. Lot of rumors that year about personal lives. A tragic end to the ELC years of two of our best wingers.

19/20 wasn't a surprise given the roster, but they just didn't have that "as long as we stick together as a team we'll be alright" underdog teamwork anymore.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
18/19 was a strange year. The team was nearly the same crew as the WCF appearance, yet just didn't look great. Even when they won, they looked off. Almost first in division, but blew it in the final week. There was this awful meme among the media and forums all season that the Jets would "flip the switch" in the playoffs. This, of course, did not happen. Lot of rumors that year about personal lives. A tragic end to the ELC years of two of our best wingers.

19/20 wasn't a surprise given the roster, but they just didn't have that "as long as we stick together as a team we'll be alright" underdog teamwork anymore.
I’m hopeful for change of some sort.
The stick to it plan likely won’t produce anything different than what we have seen lately.
Don’t ask me who or what to move that’s Sips job
I just scout for him

Reactions: Teemusalami204

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
I’m hopeful for change of some sort.
The stick to it plan likely won’t produce anything different than what we have seen lately.
Don’t ask me who or what to move that’s Sips job
I just scout for him

What changes have we seen so far ??? Moving Laine to front of net ?? A few blender games but always back to the same lines 5on5.

No Structure changes at all, maybe we added some pressure on the pk for half a season but that was long gone to soon.

From coaches to systems to lines etc this organization fights change

Whileee

May 29, 2010

It's okay, you've always got the Bruins to fall back on. Sure, they only turn up once a year, but you can't have everything... :laugh:

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
What changes have we seen so far ??? Moving Laine to front of net ?? A few blender games but always back to the same lines 5on5.

No Structure changes at all, maybe we added some pressure on the pk for half a season but that was long gone to soon.

From coaches to systems to lines etc this organization fights change

There are a few team needs that include stuff that has been covered in detail from multiple angles - but they all come down to the same thing.
We need to plug a hole or two on D and we need a 2C - and hopefully the pcs we need, also bring a little grit and energy to the line up.
As for Laine and his needs, that comes second - team comes first. If it's all about piling up points to support a future contact, well . . . .

Hopefully he brings it next season and shows us all what he's worth - a good D core will go along way in helping him open up his game.
If we do nothing on the back end, it'll be a long season and Laine is likely gone.

As for "change", this team seen a lot of it LY - they struggled with the holes in the line up from Little (2C) to the back end departures that left us soft and ineffective. I don't think they were fighting the changes, but they certainly struggled with them.

Structure had nothing to do with it - you need a base to build structure and we lost too many pcs to build upon. We can ignore all of this and simply call out the team and coaching for not getting it done - but it really doesn't address the real, tangible issues that have been covered.

Reactions: Jets 31

Caniac4ever

Feb 7, 2008
Hey fellow hockey fans!

The Hurricanes color analyst, Tripp Tracy, has recently started a podcast called Digging In With Tripp. He just interviewed Paul Maurice and I found it very interesting. It is a bit long, but it gives you a good look into Mo the person and not just Mo the coach... just thought I'd pass this on in case anyone else finds it interesting.

Cheers!

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Hey fellow hockey fans!

The Hurricanes color analyst, Tripp Tracy, has recently started a podcast called Digging In With Tripp. He just interviewed Paul Maurice and I found it very interesting. It is a bit long, but it gives you a good look into Mo the person and not just Mo the coach... just thought I'd pass this on in case anyone else finds it interesting.

Cheers!

Tripp. Tripperino. The Trippinator. Doin' the Maurice interview.

UiAVHstMPtnjsHD-400x400-noPad.jpg

Guess not everyone is a fan of the Trippmeister. :laugh:

Sign the Petition

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Those are professional teeth. Don't try this at home. :laugh:

Tripp Tracy, PI?
Tripp Tacy, Navy Pilot?
What's Trending, With Tripp?
Tripp Tracy, Entertainment Tonight?
Mid-Day Caller, starring TT?

This guy needs his own 80s throwback show, like yesterday. With PoMo guest-starring as the Crusty Police Chief With a Hearta Gold..

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Mo logic.

Vets need more ice time because they are trusted.
When a vet messes up it’s because they compete.
Great job Blake

Younger players can’t be trusted therefore not as much ice.
When a younger player messes up even less ice time.
Have a seat Mr.Ehlers

Then the vets play more and “compete “

This is our future under Mo

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Mo logic.

Vets need more ice time because they are trusted.
When a vet messes up it’s because they compete.
Great job Blake

Younger players can’t be trusted therefore not as much ice.
When a younger player messes up even less ice time.
Have a seat Mr.Ehlers

Then the vets play more and “compete “

This is our future under Mo
Here is the summary of ice time per game at even strength last season. Doesn't seem skewed to "vets" to me, other than the Jets clear #1C.

Screenshot_20200923-074113.png

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Was talking at coffee this morning...

I wonder how Maurice feels about the fact that a coach with a career 0.341 points % could win the Stanley Cup before him?

Based on all coaches with 300 regular season games coached ( of which there is 121 ) , Rick Bowness is the worst ever to be behind a bench. 501 games 0.341 pts %

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad