Coach Discussion: Coaching Thread 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Fact: A team can experience both, good goaltending and good coaching, in a single season.

Completely agree! I do think there is something to the saying that good goalies make coaches look good though. So if we are giving Paul credit for Helle's incredible season wouldn't we also blame him for all of Pavs bad ones?

Reactions: Ginger Papa

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The team is playing well right now and Moe has a piece of it. He also has a piece of the beginning of the year when this team was playing like shit.

He has played a role in keeping the room tight this year.

All in all he has had a mixed season imo.

There are also still issues plaguing this team's special teams systems that he needs to address.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Completely agree! I do think there is something to the saying that good goalies make coaches look good though. So if we are giving Paul credit for Helle's incredible season wouldn't we also blame him for all of Pavs bad ones?

I am not giving him credit for Helly's amazing performance this season.

I am giving him credit for keeping a team that is heavily undermanned in the playoff hunt, by having them prepared and ready to battle every night, as well as keeping an AHL Defensive core's head above water by having a system that allows them to bend but not break and ensures our forwards are over compensating and working hard to cover our lack of NHL Dmen.

Both Helly and Paul deserve praise separately.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
The team has been playing pretty consistently well since the ASB. It's an important time of year, and the skaters are working hard indicating buy in to coach / coaching staff.
giphy.gif

Lol, not use to the kinder less critical Jetfaninflorida!

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The team has been playing pretty consistently well since the ASB. It's an important time of year, and the skaters are working hard indicating buy in to coach / coaching staff.
Agree with this. Now that the Jets D is better and more stable, they look much more organized and effective. Also, now that they have good players for the 4th line, the bottom of the lineup doesn't get mercilessly buried. Also, since CSW has been reunited, I think Scheifele has been better in his own zone, though Wheeler and Connor still struggle a lot with zone exits.

So, it seems to me that the Jets can be effective with Maurice behind the bench when they have a decent lineup. I don't think it's logical to think that his coaching capability vacillates season to season, or within a season. I would ascribe large variations more to a misfit lineup.

Since Maurice arrived, I don't recall ever having serious doubts about the level of effort by his players. To me, that's an important determinant of a coach's suitability.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
What is the Jet's record in the last 20 games, since the defense has learned to play with each other ???

Without checking --I'd say their record is pretty good, so you have to give Maurice a lot of credit for coaching a team with a "depleted defense." We are, and have a good chance of making the playoffs -"not to bad indeed.":nod:

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
The season is over.
Does Maurice take the Jack Adams?
He's for sure in the top 3.

Off topic but does Helle get any votes for the Hart? and who gets the Norris?

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
The season is over.
Does Maurice take the Jack Adams?
He's for sure in the top 3.

Off topic but does Helle get any votes for the Hart? and who gets the Norris?
I'm not giving up on the season yet , Helly won't win the Hart but he damn well better win the Vezina . Maurice and Torts are in a battle for coach of the year and the Norris is easy , DeMelo . :naughty:

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I'm not giving up on the season yet , Helly won't win the Hart but he damn well better win the Vezina . Maurice and Torts are in a battle for coach of the year and the Norris is easy , DeMelo . :naughty:
How'd I forget about the Vezina!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think Helle, Rask and Vasilevskiy are all deserving this season. I think it is as close a race as the Richard.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
How'd I forget about the Vezina!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think Helle, Rask and Vasilevskiy are all deserving this season. I think it is as close a race as the Richard.
I think it would be two-way race between Rask and Hellebuyck, and Hellebuyck should win. Vasi is a tier below in terms of performance and impact. Rask has had less work, and less difficult saves. Hellebuyck has a decent argument for Hart, too.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Rask has only lost 8 times this year...Helle has lost 21.
That's not very persuasive. Rask's back-up (Halak) has almost as high a points % as Rask (based on team points per start), having only lost 6 times in 31 starts. They both play for the best team in the NHL, so they aren't going to lose very much.

By the way, Hellebuyck's points % in 2017/18 was considerably higher than Rask's this season.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I'm not goona argue for Rask over Helle but I can see it if Rask wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad