Coach Discussion: Coaching Thread 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Was talking at coffee this morning...

I wonder how Maurice feels about the fact that a coach with a career 0.341 points % could win the Stanley Cup before him?

Based on all coaches with 300 regular season games coached ( of which there is 121 ) , Rick Bowness is the worst ever to be behind a bench. 501 games 0.341 pts %

Maurice will just smile and point to The Asterisk. :laugh:

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Yup they were benched for a period a couple of years back but it is incredibly rare for Maurice to resort to tough love with those two.

I’m surprised I admit.
I do know he benched Buff once or twice.
My original point is the vets get way more rope and the younger player none to a couple of inches of rope.
As much as I like Maurice the person, I am not overly optimistic about our chances going forward.

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
I don't think we can complain about his 5v5 TOI distribution this past season (but that's a first). His special teams on the other hand is pretty ridiculous. And that goes for 4v5, 5v4, 4v4, 3v3 imo.

His tenure reminds me a bit of speculative bubbles. Trends well, peaks and then a free fall. I am not expecting to see new all time highs with him in charge.

stages-of-a-bubble.png

I honestly can't believe how many years it's been without the buck stopping at him. Keep the excuses flowing.

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Was talking at coffee this morning...

I wonder how Maurice feels about the fact that a coach with a career 0.341 points % could win the Stanley Cup before him?

Based on all coaches with 300 regular season games coached ( of which there is 121 ) , Rick Bowness is the worst ever to be behind a bench. 501 games 0.341 pts %
Reinforces my contention that fans put way too much weight into discussing and critiquing coaches. There isn't a huge difference between them. The only disaster is when a coach loses the respect of players, and they dog it or openly defy him. Bowness has what any decent coach needs to vie for the Cup - a good team, very good goaltending, and some luck.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I don't think we can complain about his 5v5 TOI distribution this past season (but that's a first). His special teams on the other hand is pretty ridiculous. And that goes for 4v5, 5v4, 4v4, 3v3 imo.

His tenure reminds me a bit of speculative bubbles. Trends well, peaks and then a free fall. I am not expecting to see new all time highs with him in charge.

View attachment 368604

I honestly can't believe how many years it's been without the buck stopping at him. Keep the excuses flowing.

Rick Bowness is 3 wins away from a Cup. Let me know how you'd analyze his career.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I’m surprised I admit.
I do know he benched Buff once or twice.
My original point is the vets get way more rope and the younger player none to a couple of inches of rope.
As much as I like Maurice the person, I am not overly optimistic about our chances going forward.
Maurice played alpha vet Buff at RW, much to Buff's consternation. It was a dumb lineup choice, but not something a coach would do if he's afraid to stand up to vets.

He played Wheeler at 2C and moved Laine to 1RW last season, even though it's well known that Wheeler and Scheifele much prefer to play with each other.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Maurice played alpha vet Buff at RW, much to Buff's consternation. It was a dumb lineup choice, but not something a coach would do if he's afraid to stand up to vets.

He played Wheeler at 2C and moved Laine to 1RW last season, even though it's well known that Wheeler and Scheifele much prefer to play with each other.

Well it was Noel that moved Buff to RW I think. Maurice just carried on with it until.Buff started taking his conditioning serious.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Well it was Noel that moved Buff to RW I think. Maurice just carried on with it until.Buff started taking his conditioning serious.
Yes, indeed. Maurice decided to leave Buff at RW, despite Buff's annoyance. Bad idea from a hockey perspective, but not kowtowing to a vet.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Yes, indeed. Maurice decided to leave Buff at RW, despite Buff's annoyance. Bad idea from a hockey perspective, but not kowtowing to a vet.

And Maurice is here for at least 1 more season so no sense in getting too excited.
I just want this team to find that magic somehow.
GJG

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Reinforces my contention that fans put way too much weight into discussing and critiquing coaches. There isn't a huge difference between them. The only disaster is when a coach loses the respect of players, and they dog it or openly defy him. Bowness has what any decent coach needs to vie for the Cup - a good team, very good goaltending, and some luck.

I partially agree. I agree there isn't a huge difference from current coaches in the league and also agree that lost respect is a deal breaker. I think you a missing one thing in the disaster category though, and that's when too much power is handed off to team leaders. I believe that's the case with Paul. Leaders likely feel very comfortable which gives them little incentive to improve and players outside of that bubble likely feel like they need to climb an insurmountable hill.

I'm not going to talk to Rick Bowness as I know nothing about him... Paul on the other hand I've watched coach pretty much every game for 7 seasons (supported him for 4). He hasn't gotten it done while having the horses for at least two of those. I don't think there is anything controversial in thinking it's time for a change...

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013

Is this well known though? I mean it might very well be true but all I've read about that is some forum speculation. Maybe some of that originated from inside information, or maybe it was just something someone decided that must be and it was repeated enough times people think it's true. 2018-2019 Scheifele certainly didn't look like he wanted to play with Wheeler. Don't know if it was about Wheeler though or if he just had so much other crap going on in life he was just mooding and brooding because of that and didn't seem to enjoy hockey.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I partially agree. I agree there isn't a huge difference from current coaches in the league and also agree that lost respect is a deal breaker. I think you a missing one thing in the disaster category though, and that's when too much power is handed off to team leaders. I believe that's the case with Paul. Leaders likely feel very comfortable which gives them little incentive to improve and players outside of that bubble likely feel like they need to climb an insurmountable hill.

I'm not going to talk to Rick Bowness as I know nothing about him... Paul on the other hand I've watched coach pretty much every game for 7 seasons (supported him for 4). He hasn't gotten it done while having the horses for at least two of those. I don't think there is anything controversial in thinking it's time for a change...
I disagree with a lot of what Maurice has done, but I'm not sure my ideas would have been any better.

I have no idea how to assess whether Maurice has handled the players well. All I know is I have seldom seen the Jets fail due to poor effort, and I haven't seen evidence that the players are upset with each other.

Maurice had the "horses" in 2014/15 and 2017/18 and the first half of 2018/19. The Jets record during those seasons / stretches was good. In 2015/16 and 2016/17 the Jets went with an aggressive youth movement. From mid-season 2018/19 they've been in the post-Buff era, and this past season they had mostly and AHL defense.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
I disagree with a lot of what Maurice has done, but I'm not sure my ideas would have been any better.

I have no idea how to assess whether Maurice has handled the players well. All I know is I have seldom seen the Jets fail due to poor effort, and I haven't seen evidence that the players are upset with each other.

Maurice had the "horses" in 2014/15 and 2017/18 and the first half of 2018/19. The Jets record during those seasons / stretches was good. In 2015/16 and 2016/17 the Jets went with an aggressive youth movement. From mid-season 2018/19 they've been in the post-Buff era, and this past season they had mostly and AHL defense.

I can't disagree with this. I'd guess we likely only disagree on coaches lifespan in general.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Didn't the Jets had a stack D group a year before?

Yes we did - maybe not stacked but much better.
But we didn't have Vezina Helle that year.

Go back one more year and you likely had a Vezina contender Helle in net and a very good season all around for the team -
But now we're just picking the spots that support our narrative ;)

Reactions: PhilJets

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Yes we did - maybe not stacked but much better.
But we didn't have Vezina Helle that year.

Go back one more year and you likely had a Vezina contender Helle in net and a very good season all around for the team -
But now we're just picking the spots that support our narrative ;)

Yeah i dont know what happened that year. We still practically have the same group from previous year. Starting December it started spiraling down...

Yeah all of us always pick spots :) that is why for the most part i go career or years. Instead of assesing players by months.

Reactions: LowLefty

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Yeah i dont know what happened that year. We still practically have the same group from previous year. Starting December it started spiraling down...

Yeah all of us always pick spots :) that is why for the most part i go career or years. Instead of assesing players by months.
Until late December in 2018/19 the Jets were in the top echelon in points and trending up in shot metrics. What happened? Buff and Ehlers were injured almost at the same time in late December, and Morrissey missed the last 20 games. I think we don't fully realize the impact Buff had on the Jets. Losing Buff is akin to the Bolts losing Hedman. Both anchor players.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Until late December in 2018/19 the Jets were in the top echelon in points and trending up in shot metrics. What happened? Buff and Ehlers were injured almost at the same time in late December, and Morrissey missed the last 20 games. I think we don't fully realize the impact Buff had on the Jets. Losing Buff is akin to the Bolts losing Hedman. Both anchor players.

Laine was injured too :)

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg

We are constantly one of the top injured teams, year after year it’s the biggest excuse why we faltered. It’s a valid excuse but I wonder why our team is hit so hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad