Coach Discussion: Coaching Thread 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
Which is why change has to start at the top. Fresh eyes are needed to review our coaches and players. And politely tell Chipman to stay in his office. At this point, I would expect a coaching change to be nothing more than promoting Vincent.

Is Jalonen even interested in such a move? If so, he should probably be looking at AHL or assistant positions first to gain some coaching experience in NA. I think it would be very difficult for a Euro coach to make the jump directly to NHL head coach. If for no other reason than I think there could be resistance from some players to an "outsider" as you put it.

Jalonen has stated he would be interested in the NHL and feels like he could make an impact (the quality of NHL coaching feels like it's not great to begin with). I don't know if he will accept an assistant position. I think it would feel a bit beneath him. But it's hard to say.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Jalonen has stated he would be interested in the NHL and feels like he could make an impact (the quality of NHL coaching feels like it's not great to begin with). I don't know if he will accept an assistant position. I think it would feel a bit beneath him. But it's hard to say.

I imagine the NHL is missing out on plenty of good coaches by hiring north Americans almost exclusively for those positions.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I imagine the NHL is missing out on plenty of good coaches by hiring north Americans almost exclusively for those positions.

...and often the same North Americans. With a few exceptions, it's pretty much musical chairs.

Imagine the UK's Premier League if instead of finally opening their eyes to what was being achieved in terms of fitness/nutrition, player development, tactics and so on by European and South American coaches and starting to hire there teams had continued to employ the roundabout of usual suspects (Sam Allardyce, 'Arry Redknapp, and worse) exclusively. Instead, we had teams like 90s Arsenal and Chelsea and others innovating through key coaching hires, and those innovations then working their way into the practices of the best homegrown coaches. Fluid positioning, tactical possession and quick-strike attacking play instead of 4-4-2, player-nobbling and longballs.

Hockey needs to start learning some of those lessons. Would be great to see the Jets at the forefront.

Reactions: surixon

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
For what it's worth, Gallant coached the 2018/19 VGK to a worse record than the Jets, and a 1st round playoff exit.

That exit was heavily assisted by the refs. Bettman even had to apologize for The Call Heard Round the World. I expect the league will "right a wrong" as they have been known to say and do everything in its power to ensure a Vegas cup win this year.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
...and often the same North Americans. With a few exceptions, it's pretty much musical chairs.

Imagine the UK's Premier League if instead of finally opening their eyes to what was being achieved in terms of fitness/nutrition, player development, tactics and so on by European and South American coaches and starting to hire there teams had continued to employ the roundabout of usual suspects (Sam Allardyce, 'Arry Redknapp, and worse) exclusively. Instead, we had teams like 90s Arsenal and Chelsea and others innovating through key coaching hires, and those innovations then working their way into the practices of the best homegrown coaches. Fluid positioning, tactical possession and quick-strike attacking play instead of 4-4-2, player-nobbling and longballs.

Hockey needs to start learning some of those lessons. Would be great to see the Jets at the forefront.

There's one usual suspect that will never go away. :laugh:

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

If Krueger was our GM, I could see him hiring Jalonen. Activate Krueger, Chipman. Bring him home! Yes, I know...

:deadhorse

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
For what it's worth, Gallant coached the 2018/19 VGK to a worse record than the Jets, and a 1st round playoff exit.
6 points worse with a 2nd year expansion team that was still 3rd in the league in xGF% (Jets were 24th that season). Meanwhile the Jets had the 8th best 5v5 SV% and Vegas was 24th...if only Gallant had told his goalies to stop more pucks smh...

Reactions: Bigfish and surixon

Whileee

May 29, 2010
That exit was heavily assisted by the refs. Bettman even had to apologize for The Call Heard Round the World. I expect the league will "right a wrong" as they have been known to say and do everything in its power to ensure a Vegas cup win this year.
They finished with 93 points in 2018/19. The Jets finished with 99.

So, the Jets should fire Maurice and hire Gallant?

Reactions: LowLefty

Whileee

May 29, 2010
6 points worse with a 2nd year expansion team that was still 3rd in the league in xGF% (Jets were 24th that season). Meanwhile the Jets had the 8th best 5v5 SV% and Vegas was 24th...if only Gallant had told his goalies to stop more pucks smh...
2014/15 through 2016/17, xGF%:

Panthers (Gallant): #18 (49.7)
Jets (Maurice): #12 (51.1)

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

At this point, I just want a change. Gallant, Boudreau. Hell, if the Bruins have a fit of pique and fire their coach I will probably jump on the Cassidy bandwagon.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
At this point, I just want a change. Gallant, Boudreau. Hell, if the Bruins have a fit of pique and fire their coach I will probably jump on the Cassidy bandwagon.

Man, the dam has broken -- it's just Bruins, Bruins, Bruins with you lately... :popcorn:

I'd give Cassidy the keys to the car. Has his warts but a smart coach who'd be an interesting fit for the Jets' talented core, IMO. Boudreau would bring tomato-osity, and Gallant some fine cursing and the ability to hail taxis at all hours. Bring it on.

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

Do or Die

Jun 28, 2011
Strength of the roster and perceived coaching IQ. One usually has a direct impact on the other....

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
You should go on a Sabres' forum and see what they think of him.

He's their coach. I don't really care whether he is or isn't a good coach. Based on what I've read about him, I think his strength is organizational, which is why I would want him in a GM or POHO position. People are always complaining about re-treads, getting the same old same old. With his range of experience, I can see him thinking outside the box and bringing in fresh ideas, and attracting like minded people.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
One thing is for sure, you absolutely cannot have a culture where excuses fly. There are so many possible solutions that could be tried for any problem in this world, that it almost doesn't even matter if there are legitimate reasons or not, someone has to be accountable no matter how legitimate any reason might seem.

Give me a reason for failure and I will tell you the problem that you failed to properly address. Excuses cannot be allowed to become part of the culture. Plus just the fact that there is barely any experimentation going on only magnifies this point.
Thank God you are not my therapist. I wouldn't have a legitimate excuse for my failures! Hee, hee, hee.
The Jets brass and culture could use some of your theorum-serum!

Reactions: grieves

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
For the 1000th time, don't you think the major injuries to Buff, Ehlers and Morrissey affected the Jets' performance in the second half?
Sure! Differences in top teams is they have a reactive coach to his roster in front of him. And realizes success comes in getting more out of the team, not just throwing the sam e 2 players out there in all situations, even more because of a diminished "common" roster.
Then, those over-used players are burned out before 3rd period, or all of next game if in playoffs, and many fill-in role are so rusty by the time their next 20 second shift comes around, they can't get up to speed with the play. Thats my take on one aspect of past injury-riddled periods in Jet-land attempted playoff runs.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny

All depends, do you want a little better than 50% regular season success 0 to 10% playoff success. Toe the line. If you want 50%+ playoff success with regular under 50% season success, than try the new way.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013

OMG, finally we have an accurate way to instantly know who's the best coach! :laugh: Seriously though, I don't think at this point (and how NHL coaching seems to work) it's really even about who's a better coach than who, but simply that a change is needed (according to some at least). One of the things a coaching change does is it gives the players a reset, they have to re-establish themselves and get a bit of a fresh start. It also gives a new perspective on the roster.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
OMG, finally we have an accurate way to instantly know who's the best coach! :laugh: Seriously though, I don't think at this point (and how NHL coaching seems to work) it's really even about who's a better coach than who, but simply that a change is needed (according to some at least). One of the things a coaching change does is it gives the players a reset, they have to re-establish themselves and get a bit of a fresh start. It also gives a new perspective on the roster.

Yes

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Watching Colorado not let Dallas get set up in the zone tonight reaffirmed just how important retrievals and breakouts are. If you execute them quickly you get the puck going the other way out of your end fast.

I think this needs to be a major focus of our coaching staff next season provided we bring in some help on defense.

We currently have Morrissey and Pionk who can really move the puck but outside of that not a lot of puck movers. Samberg is likely to make the roster and has been described as a player who can make a solid first pass. We ideally need someone else on each of the top two pairings that can move the puck well and bring some defense/grit.

If the defense is fixed and quick breakouts are focused on then I think that allows our forwards to get the puck with speed in the nz where we can best use our skill.

Add in an aggressive forecheck and I think we get back on track.

I would also like to see a bit more emphasis put on playing quickly next season and some of that will revolve around Maurice putting quick combinations together.

Ideally we need Ehlers and Conner on seperate lines to push the pace and we need someone else that is quick on line 2 since neither Wheeler or Laine are speed demons.

The following keeps things aligned with Maurice's template:

Conner Scheifele Laine
Ehlers Roslovic/xxx Wheeler
Copp Lowry Athanasiau (grab him from the Olilers for a late round pick. Kid has speed to burn and some some offense offense)
Perrault Harkins Appelton (Skilled all around 3B line)

Each line has some speed and size.

JoMo xxxx
xxxxx Pionk
Samberg Poolman

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
More and more I think about it I think Maurice is doing an ok job. Sure I don’t agree with Lowry on the third line making our fourth like obsolete or laines usage but he is just dealing what with he has.

It’s not his fault Chevy has drafted a bunch of soft offence first players in the first round. Maurice has to try and teach these kids how to play defense while still letting them loose offensively.

It would be a different story if we had at least one top 6 player that could play better then average defense.

The best defensive center we have is Lowry and I see why Maurice wants him on the ice so much as we have no other player on the entire roster that can shut down another teams top line.

I would never replace Scheif with couturier but I would bet that if it was that way Lowry would be a fourth line center on this team.

Our late round picks have not pushed their way onto this roster by any means and that’s not his fault it’s chevys.

Roslo isn’t what Chevy thought for sure and that’s hurting maurices deployment.

The cap structure on this team starting with Tanev will make players to expensive for us as they hit their prime. Lowry or Copp next which will hurt us even more.

Not one late round gem in almost a decade either. Most cup winners have one of these on their elcs or second bridge deal on the cheap.

Just playing the cards he’s dealt folks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->