Coach Discussion: Coaching Thread 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Absolutely stacked. The likes of which you rarely see in the modern NHL. Didn't matter though.
Maurice and company defensive system of confusion in our own end. Offensive team does two switches or curls, and our whole team gets confused as to who does what, when, where defensively. Some playing zone, some playing man, some playing both, some playing neither.

Last edited:

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Until late December in 2018/19 the Jets were in the top echelon in points and trending up in shot metrics. What happened? Buff and Ehlers were injured almost at the same time in late December, and Morrissey missed the last 20 games. I think we don't fully realize the impact Buff had on the Jets. Losing Buff is akin to the Bolts losing Hedman. Both anchor players.
Don’t think it is that easy to dissect. It wasn’t just Buff or Ehlers or Morrissey being out. The team had internal issues which were speculated at the time. Lots of individual goals and contracts to play for, Scheifele and Wheeler calling out Laine and Ehlers for gaming and not being dedicated to their craft enough, and Wheeler acknowledging he didn’t lead the team very well.

All FAs left. Buff didn’t return. I suggest it wasn’t just the injuries why the team floundered the second half of that year.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Don’t think it is that easy to dissect. It wasn’t just Buff or Ehlers or Morrissey being out. The team had internal issues which were speculated at the time. Lots of individual goals and contracts to play for, Scheifele and Wheeler calling out Laine and Ehlers for gaming and not being dedicated to their craft enough, and Wheeler acknowledging he didn’t lead the team very well.

All FAs left. Buff didn’t return. I suggest it wasn’t just the injuries why the team floundered the second half of that year.

I think they thought they were close the year before and the pressure of repeating that regular season success into a long playoff run again got to the team.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I think they thought they were close the year before and the pressure of repeating that regular season success into a long playoff run again got to the team.
Yes, I think that’s part of it too. When things started to go south, they didn’t handle it well.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
As much as I like Maurice as a person, and also have supported him on here, I think it's time for a change. For these reasons

1) He had stacked teams with huge talent, and could only bring them so far, but a great coach, can really get them to dig down deep and win. Maurice in all his years, has never won the big one, and likely won't.

2) I don't like the way Wheeler and Scheifele dictate policy as to line configurations etc. Maurice doesn't seem to want to rock the boat, but great coaches "do rock the boat." A coach that does rock the boat is John Tortarella, and he always "demands" and get's a full 100 % effort from teams that aren't that talented, but always get's them in the playoffs -- we need a guy like that, that will hold stars "accountable." He's also won a Cup with Tampa I believe.

3) I don't like the way Ehlers is being used -- he's one of the fastest skaters in the NHL, a great stickhandler, can always gain the offensive zone and has a great hard shot. Why is he not on the number one power play -- I just do not get it ??

One guy I've always liked was Laviolette -- the former Nashville coach, who really got great efforts out of that club. He's one guy I'd be talking to if I was Chevy and his management team. There are others as well.

Maurice has had his shot -- time to say goodbye.:towel:

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
As much as I like Maurice as a person, and also have supported him on here, I think it's time for a change. For these reasons

1) He had stacked teams with huge talent, and could only bring them so far, but a great coach, can really get them to dig down deep and win. Maurice in all his years, has never won the big one, and likely won't.

2) I don't like the way Wheeler and Scheifele dictate policy as to line configurations etc. Maurice doesn't seem to want to rock the boat, but great coaches "do rock the boat." A coach that does rock the boat is John Tortarella, and he always "demands" and get's a full 100 % effort from teams that aren't that talented, but always get's them in the playoffs -- we need a guy like that, that will hold stars "accountable." He's also won a Cup with Tampa I believe.

3) I don't like the way Ehlers is being used -- he's one of the fastest skaters in the NHL, a great stickhandler, can always gain the offensive zone and has a great hard shot. Why is he not on the number one power play -- I just do not get it ??

One guy I've always liked was Laviolette -- the former Nashville coach, who really got great efforts out of that club. He's one guy I'd be talking to if I was Chevy and his management team. There are others as well.

Maurice has had his shot -- time to say goodbye.:towel:

I hope we get Randy Carlyle as a coach. He's a True North guy. He won a Stanley Cup. How? He never split up Getlzaf and Perry. He had a superstar in Teemu Selanne, played him with Andy Mc Donald and Chris Kunitz. Used the checking line of Moen-Pahlssson- Rob Niedrmayer to get the distance. Well Copp-Lowry are the same no?
He loved tough 4th lines, so we would never get pushed around again.

Of course he had Scott Niedrmayer and Pronger. Well maybe you get Niedrmayer results from Morrissey with him. Can we develop Samberg into Pronger?

And if he fails, well at least it won't be Maurice's fault.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Yeah, that's a no. One of the most dominant dmen of his era. Not even f'n close.

Oh I know. He was a beast. But FWIW Randy Carlyle was a Norris winner too. He got the best out of his defensemen. The timing would be good with a lot of young defensemen in the mix.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Oh I know. He was a beast. But FWIW Randy Carlyle was a Norris winner too. He got the best out of his defensemen. The timing would be good with a lot of young defensemen in the mix.

Pronger was an absolute monster. No one is turning any current defencemen into Pronger. Helped the Oilers, Ducks and Flyers to a final.

Reactions: voyageur

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Pronger was an absolute monster. No one is turning any current defencemen into Pronger. Helped the Oilers, Ducks and Flyers to a final.

Carlyle made it to the WCF twice as well aside from his Stanley Cup run. Last time was a with a defense of Fowler-Vatanen, Lindholm-Manson, and Theodore-Montour, with Kevin Bieksa in the mix. If we were going to run a young defense, he'd be a guy I want coaching them. Of course we only have Morrissey, Pionk, Samberg and Heinola to work with, so there's that.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Carlyle made it to the WCF twice as well aside from his Stanley Cup run. Last time was a with a defense of Fowler-Vatanen, Lindholm-Manson, and Theodore-Montour, with Kevin Bieksa in the mix. If we were going to run a young defense, he'd be a guy I want coaching them. Of course we only have Morrissey, Pionk, Samberg and Heinola to work with, so there's that.

I don't really credit him much with his SC win. That team was stacked top to bottom. A pylon could have coached that team to a SCF.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I hope we get Randy Carlyle as a coach. He's a True North guy

The guy that gave the crowd a rude, dismissive wave years ago when his return to Winnipeg was announced over the PA system? Classless f*** can go to hell. I don't want him here. :thumbd:

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I don't really credit him much with his SC win. That team was stacked top to bottom. A pylon could have coached that team to a SCF.

That's always the easiest thing to say. The Jets were probably the most talented team in the NHL in 2017-2018 and they didn't go all the way. 2007 Ducks had to get past Detroit with Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Lidstrom, and Hasek in net. Same Red Wings team that went to the Cup the next 2 years, except that they added Rafalski. Same Ducks team got knocked out in the 1st round the following year. I think they just had a team that wanted the Cup. Especially Pronger and Selanne. And that checking line was something golden. Back when you played top 6 and a checking line. Although some coaches still do.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I meant his philosophy and coaching style is very outdated.

You mean like Bowness? I don't think Bowness was ever an avant-garde coach. Heck he wasn't even the best coach in the 1st Jets era (I'd give that to Maloney). What exactly do you mean by that? He's only coached in the NHL since the rules changes of 2005. His career winning % is higher than Maurice's and that's after coaching a garbage Leafs team for parts of 4 years.

Benjamin Doveridge

Apr 15, 2019
Bring back Claude Noel!!! No structure, run and gun. Hardcore offence...we have Helly back there. A total tire fire but it would be fun to watch all those goals go in, lol!

Reactions: DecadeofDarkness

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
I hope we get Randy Carlyle as a coach. He's a True North guy. He won a Stanley Cup. How? He never split up Getlzaf and Perry. He had a superstar in Teemu Selanne, played him with Andy Mc Donald and Chris Kunitz. Used the checking line of Moen-Pahlssson- Rob Niedrmayer to get the distance. Well Copp-Lowry are the same no?
He loved tough 4th lines, so we would never get pushed around again.

Of course he had Scott Niedrmayer and Pronger. Well maybe you get Niedrmayer results from Morrissey with him. Can we develop Samberg into Pronger?

And if he fails, well at least it won't be Maurice's fault.

One big difference you said is caryle likes his fourth line tough.

Maurice makes our third line the checking line and it makes our fourth line obsolete.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
One big difference you said is caryle likes his fourth line tough.

Maurice makes our third line the checking line and it makes our fourth line obsolete.

There are so many different angles to which Maurice draws criticism. But we only had 2 tough players in the whole roster last year (Lowry and Beaulieu). I mean Sbisa is a tough player, for Radulov to spear him in the netherlands, you have to be a tough enough player. But we had no identity. Definitely no Pronger like fear mongering defenseman (Byfuglien). And so teams ran us. They injured us (including the toughest guy). I'm not so sure that Maurice had a big choice on players, he's gone from the guy that loved to play Thorburn and Peluso, to a guy who coaches speed and transition more than anything. Jets became the least penalized team in the NHL, which was unfathomable when Maurice took over. Is it the right strategy? There's always someone to 2nd guess. I sure think an underdog team like the Isles did well with a 4th line that stirred the pot. Even Tampa, when Chara ran Kucherov, Paquette responded with an energy shift that took Mc Avoy out of the game temporarily, maybe won them the series. I don't have any issues whatsoever with Lowry on a 3rd line. He's probably the guy that broke Bennett's ribs. He's big and mean, and players don't much like playing against him. He can win possession battles regularly, and he's the guy you want out in the last minute of a game with a lead. You're right about obsolete 4th lines. Even if your bottom 2 lines are checking lines, you can roll 4 lines. Nothing prevents you from winning 3-2, or 2-1. If Maurice tries to grind 3 lines with a heavy back to back laden schedule, he may burn out his troops earlier than past years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad