Coach get fired on (enter date here)

Marty McSurly

May 9, 2018
...furthermore, re: Katz.

I don't think he's as detached from the role as some think. I'm positive Friedman had a piece last season where Katz was livid with their performance and he wanted to fire the entire coaching staff after a certain game...I want to say the Dallas road game where the give a poop meter was fubar'd and Gretzky and Nicholson were in attendance. If I remember right, Nicholson and Chiarelli talked him out of it.

If that did happen then it makes sense why Friedman was saying this morning that no one (outside of Gretzky) feels safe in the Oilers front office at the moment.

Only problem if Nicholson and Chiarelli are let go then it's the Lowe / MacT show again I would guess.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
...furthermore, re: Katz.

I don't think he's as detached from the role as some think. I'm positive Friedman had a piece last season where Katz was livid with their performance and he wanted to fire the entire coaching staff after a certain game...I want to say the Dallas road game where the give a poop meter was fubar'd and Gretzky and Nicholson were in attendance. If I remember right, Nicholson and Chiarelli talked him out of it.
It was after the Dallas game in January.

Reactions: McFuhryous

jeffff

Oct 4, 2011
If we lose in NY and Winnipeg, start the season 0-4....will he get fired before the home opener?

What is the quickest a NHL head coach has been fired to start the season?

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
If that did happen then it makes sense why Friedman was saying this morning that no one (outside of Gretzky) feels safe in the Oilers front office at the moment.

Only problem if Nicholson and Chiarelli are let go then it's the Lowe / MacT show again I would guess.

I always gave my days off when stuff gets said...where did he say this, on a radio spot or tv?

Plus I found the tweet...it was Marek and Friedman, podcast maybe?

Reactions: PulYou

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
If we lose in NY and Winnipeg, start the season 0-4....will he get fired before the home opener?

What is the quickest a NHL head coach has been fired to start the season?
Peter Laviolette got fired three games in to the 2013-14 season. Not sure if anyone beats that.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
I'm not convinced Todd is the problem. He's obviously not the solution either.
I've said this time and time again. There's something really ****ed up with this entire organization.
Something that gets the least amount out of their players.

We've had plenty of gm's.. plenty of coaches. And the same results. Even a few presidents and ceo's.

This team blows monkey chucks... the organization is a disaster and has been since the cup appearance.
The infection that they attempted to purge before McDavid's arrival has returned in full force.

In the end.

Oilers gonna mother ****ing Oil.
They're a bunch of losers and they know it.

Its the whole mentality in the organization that has to change. This is a business. Not a Saturday night party. There is very little accountability amongst friends. Changes take years to implement. Organizations are forward thinking. The Oilers are not. Organizations will fire people on a whim if they foresee issues moving forward , the Oilers fire people if things start to get better. They are in a bubble seperated from the rest of the NHL.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Peter Laviolette got fired three games in to the 2013-14 season. Not sure if anyone beats that.
Speaking of laviolette, its the type of coach that's needed. Screaming, yelling, attacking the refs for garbage calls , ripping on players for lazy plays, running an offensive game, attacking, putting players in positions to succeed. Too bad GG is waiting for the promotion .....

Kaniac

Sep 11, 2018
A five game loosing streak with Todd getting fired might be the best thing for this hockey team.
This would be the most ideal situation imo. He's had his chance, but he's a stubborn old goat. Everything looks exactly the same as last year.

Kaniac

Sep 11, 2018
Speaking of laviolette, its the type of coach that's needed. Screaming, yelling, attacking the refs for garbage calls , ripping on players for lazy plays, running an offensive game, attacking, putting players in positions to succeed. Too bad GG is waiting for the promotion .....

Hell ya bring on the anger. I want to see some emotion !! But yeah, GG.....

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Hell ya bring on the anger. I want to see some emotion !! But yeah, GG.....
I assume you both are aware he's currently coaching Nashville.

Kaniac

Sep 11, 2018
I assume you both are aware he's currently coaching Nashville.
Correct. I wasn't refering to a specific coach. Just someone who isn't scared to yell a little bit. We need some Patrick Roy kinda crazy behind the bench.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Correct. I wasn't refering to a specific coach. Just someone who isn't scared to yell a little bit. We need some Patrick Roy kinda crazy behind the bench.
Fair enough, I do agree that the guys could use a kick in the rear. McLellan just seems too quiet and distant.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home

So why take Khaira out of the lineup after a game where he was involved physically, got in a fight, and made a few nice plays? Why would you not take Kassian out who was largely invisible in that game outside of trying to stir things up after the whistle? If Khaira had a concussion from that hit he wouldn't be skating, this is just a poor message to send from the coach.

These are the kinds of decisions that are confusing to the players and fans alike. Todd just seems out of touch.

Kaniac

Sep 11, 2018
Fair enough, I do agree that the guys could use a kick in the rear. McLellan just seems too quiet and distant.

I agree. It would be nice to see some emotion. Yell, scream, light a fire under the players asses. Is that too much to ask!?

Kaniac

Sep 11, 2018

So why take Khaira out of the lineup after a game where he was involved physically, got in a fight, and made a few nice plays? Why would you not take Kassian out who was largely invisible in that game outside of trying to stir things up after the whistle? If Khaira had a concussion from that hit he wouldn't be skating, this is just a poor message to send from the coach.

These are the kinds of decisions that are confusing to the players and fans alike. Todd just seems out of touch.

Cause TMac is a stubborn goat and underwhelming vets cant
sit.

Damn, I'm fired up today. It sucks watching the leafs be what the Oilers were supposed to be. :'(

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton

We lost badly, Todd knows he has to change something, and he thinks the fourth line center is enough lol

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I don't understand why he will get anymore games if he loses tomorrow.

0-3 is a huge hole in today's NHL. He very obviously has the exact same issues as the start and end of last season. His systems suck or the team has tuned him out.

If he loses the next game and wins one then loses one we are 1 and 4. Which is 2 of a possible 10 points and full panic mode. Extremely unlikely the Oilers make the playoffs after 1 win in the first 5 games.

Three losses to start the year with coaching being such a huge part of the Oilers problems... He absolutely should be fired and that's completely fair under the circumstances.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007

Let the house cleaning begin.

DirtyRemarkableBison-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: PulYou and EagerPug

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
Chaisson was better all preseason than kassian has been since the end of 16 17 season but sure keep.pluggin shit players into the lineup up and make them pk to boot just to really highlight your incompetence.

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
Some people bring up the argument of we have switched coaches before and it never worked, roster sucks is the problem.

Im no Chia fan but I seriously think more can be gotten of out of this roster, it wouldnt even be as bad as if it looked they were trying. Seems like a light bulb goes on in the 3rd period oh we gotta try but its too late by then. Why is this team never ready at puck drop?

My other point would be all those previous coaching changes were a long time ago. Pat Quiin was 2010, Renney had 11 and 12 etc. Mcdavid, Drai and most of our players have only played NHL hockey under TMAC.

Reactions: Cypress

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Some people bring up the argument of we have switched coaches before and it never worked, roster sucks is the problem.

Im no Chia fan but I seriously think more can be gotten of out of this roster, it wouldnt even be as bad as if it looked they were trying. Seems like a light bulb goes on in the 3rd period oh we gotta try but its too late by then. Why is this team never ready at puck drop?

My other point would be all those previous coaching changes were a long time ago. Pat Quiin was 2010, Renney had 11 and 12 etc. Mcdavid, Drai and most of our players have only played NHL hockey under TMAC.

Agreed. I'm happy they've stuck with him for awhile instead of making change just for the sake of making change, but Todd's now at the point where he's doing stubborn things or things that just don't even make sense to anybody, so his time has likely come. The real thing here though is they have to get this next coaching change right or this has potential to spiral out of control very quickly.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

If you wanted to scare someone this Halloween you should dress up as the Oilers defense.

Reactions: Jamin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad