Coach get fired on (enter date here)

Jean Ralphio

Dec 13, 2008
What's the history like for head coaches going straight from the CHL to the NHL? Dale Hunter is the only one I can think of right now. He got the Caps to round two of the playoffs after coming from London a quarter into the season.

Edit: Don Hay is another. He didn't last a season with the Flames.

If they turf McLellan I would like to see Manny Viveiros at least get the interim label.

Pete DeBoer is another. Jumped straight from Kitchener to a being a HC in the NHL. Didn't have much success with Florida right away, but has become a pretty solid NHL coach.

Reactions: Del Preston

Marty McSurly

May 9, 2018
Okay, then I’m wrong. I was sure Hitchcock coached in Kamloops.

You're right, but that was five seasons before he became the head guy in Dallas.

As far as coaches going straight from the CHL to the NHL as a head coach, I don't think there has been much recent success. The most recent guy I can remember is the Portland coach (I forgot his name) went to Pittsburgh straight out of the WHL and didn't last very long before Mike Sullivan took over.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
You're right, but that was five seasons before he became the head guy in Dallas.

As far as coaches going straight from the CHL to the NHL as a head coach, I don't think there has been much recent success. The most recent guy I can remember is the Portland coach (I forgot his name) went to Pittsburgh straight out of the WHL and didn't last very long before Mike Sullivan took over.
Mike Johnston. Got fired and Sullivan won the next two Cups. What a terrible feeling that must be.

Reactions: EagerPug

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
MacTavish hated how badly Nelson made Eakins look. When Yakupov had his incredible turn around under Nelson, MacT said he had never seen anything like it in all his years in hockey and couldn't figure out what the reason was. iirc he also said the reason the team played better after Eakins was because the roster was improved.
I don't remember any of this. I think if MacT truly disliked Todd Nelson, he could've just passed over him. But he was a guy our organization groomed to be a head coach. And he was the last guy I remember who got offense out of our down-trending prospects at the time.

And to MacT's defense, the team technically was better. The addition of Derek Roy was a godsend for Nail. My god were our teams bad back then.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I don't remember any of this. I think if MacT truly disliked Todd Nelson, he could've just passed over him. But he was a guy our organization groomed to be a head coach. And he was the last guy I remember who got offense out of our down-trending prospects at the time.

And to MacT's defense, the team technically was better. The addition of Derek Roy was a godsend for Nail. My god were our teams bad back then.
I remember Stauffer saying the Derek Roy trade would have happened sooner but Eakins didn't want him on the roster. Lol.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
This is defiantly not and either or situation.

In no world did I actually think that this coach and Gm would be this bad.

Same, and now it sucks so bad in retrospect how everything Boston and SJ fans said about these guys ended up being true.

And the league shifting even further away from the player types and play styles where these 2 guys could have even had a chance of being successful made it even worse.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Johnston had a pretty decent record with the Pens and they had 33 points in 28 games when he got canned.

What a crazy concept that level of expectation and accountability is.

We have expectations. Just fill the arena

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006
October 27th after Nashville pummels us into Oblivion. Going to send him off in an Uber.

Marty McSurly

May 9, 2018
The 'big boys' eh? They have 3 ex-GMs, one guy with a restaurant and a burger named after him, 99 and Katz.

I guess if 99 and Katz were there that would mean something. Is that who Stauffer was referring to?

Guess it is 99 and Katz according to Matheson this morning.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Top 3 reasons why McLellan should be fired:

1. Klefbom on the PP instead of Bouchard
2. 5 left shot PP
3. Not letting the powerplay coach that was hired run the powerplay.

Our powerplay was our biggest weakness last year, and it's just laughable this year. It's actually worse. It's hard to conceive of any strategy that would result in a worse outcome. You could pull names out of a hat and have a monkey draw on a whiteboard and craft up a better powerplay.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Top 3 reasons why McLellan should be fired:

1. Klefbom on the PP instead of Bouchard
2. 5 left shot PP
3. Not letting the powerplay coach that was hired run the powerplay.

Our powerplay was our biggest weakness last year, and it's just laughable this year. It's actually worse. It's hard to conceive of any strategy that would result in a worse outcome. You could pull names out of a hat and have a monkey draw on a whiteboard and craft up a better powerplay.
I dislike McLellan as much as the next guy but how do you know he's not letting the PP coach run the PP?

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
well, I'm glad the Oil won today, but that probably buys TMac another week of employment. I don't know how much more obvious it has to get that he's become a broken record for the players.

on second thought, I still he's gone by Nov. 1.

Reactions: PulYou

The Moose

Mar 25, 2004
Edmonton
Five goals in three games, McDavid contributing on all 5. This team has big problems, and one ugly win won't shelter TMac very much. If this team doesn't start scoring, he should be gone by the end of next week.

Reactions: PulYou

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
I don't think Toronto could win only 2 1 against the rangers even if they tried. They'd get a few unironcially lucky bounces and win at least 4 1.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad