Coach get fired on (enter date here)

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Big day for the liquor stores!

OAkY74lw_400x400.jpg
I'm in stitches right now because this is the first time the site has ever asked me if I wanted to 'like' a post.

"...are you sure you want to 'like' this post?" :laugh:

I guess I'm here so often the site is becoming conscious of my questionable character.

Reactions: oobga

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Sort of out of the box thinking, but what if Vieveros was a silent dark horse and was to be the one to take over, as interim.

I would actually be okay with that based on his previous success and if he gets this team playing hockey, he gets the gig full time.

I wonder how the team would respond to a rookie head coach leading them.
I said it in the GDT last night but I think Craig MacTavish makes the most sense for me. This is the guy with the most NHL coaching experience in this organization. He's aware of the organization, the personnel, the staff and the expectations of the fan-base and the owner. He's been thoroughly involved in the scouting so he's in tune with our depth charts. And most importantly, his head is already in the vice.

I think he makes the most sense if the plan is to fire only Todd McLellan in the very near future.

I would most definitely prefer MacT over any of the assistants in the role in the interim. His coaching record here is actually quite impressive.

If the team continues to falter, fire everybody at seasons end. Clean slate.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada

I have no Idea where this goes?

The responses are priceless.

I think he's trying to say that coaches coach how they used to play. But that isn't always the case. McLellan was a center in junior and faded into obscurity rather quickly. If we're focusing on the latter, I'll take it.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I said it in the GDT last night but I think Craig MacTavish makes the most sense for me. This is the guy with the most NHL coaching experience in this organization. He's aware of the organization, the personnel, the staff and the expectations of the fan-base and the owner. He's been thoroughly involved in the scouting so he's in tune with our depth charts. And most importantly, his head is already in the vice.

I think he makes the most sense if the plan is to fire only Todd McLellan in the very near future.

I would most definitely prefer MacT over any of the assistants in the role in the interim. His coaching record here is actually quite impressive.

Mac T hasn’t coached in the NHL for ten years. It’s a different game now. Not sure how that would work out. I’ve thought about this in the last few days too and while I don’t think it would be much of a success, I really don’t care at this point. Mclellan is done with this team and something has to be done, anything.

That aside, I doubt he wants any part of it. He’s stayed out of the public eye since he lost his GM gig. He even avoided the closing ceremony at Rexall Place. I think he’s done with the media and the fans. Does the organization force him to do it to earn his paycheque? If that’s the case then this bad situation just gets a lot worse.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Mac T hasn’t coached in the NHL for ten years. It’s a different game now. Not sure how that would work out. I’ve thought about this in the last few days too and while I don’t think it would be much of a success, I really don’t care at this point. Mclellan is done with this team and something has to be done, anything.

That aside, I doubt he wants any part of it. He’s stayed out of the public eye since he lost his GM gig. He even avoided the closing ceremony at Rexall Place. I think he’s done with the media and the fans. Does the organization force him to do it to earn his paycheque? If that’s the case then this bad situation just gets a lot worse.
Popcorn is cheap. I'm game.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007

I didn't think MacT wanted to coach when Eakins was fired and was why he was behind the bench for only a handful of games to help Nelson out.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
We don't need defense first. We don't have the personnel for it.

Defence first is the only way were winning anything with this forward group. We're not talented enough to score 3 goals a game. I'm guessing we end up around 200 goals on the season. If that's the case we have to get our GAA down to 2.25 for a shot at playoffs.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
What's the history like for head coaches going straight from the CHL to the NHL? Dale Hunter is the only one I can think of right now. He got the Caps to round two of the playoffs after coming from London a quarter into the season.

Edit: Don Hay is another. He didn't last a season with the Flames.

If they turf McLellan I would like to see Manny Viveiros at least get the interim label.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I genuinely think MacT wanted to give Nelson the job.
I don’t believe this for a second. He and Eakins tried to discredit Nelson right from the beginning. At the first rookie tournament Eakins was taking shots at how Nelson was coaching in OKC and Mac T was backing him up. The talk on these boards at the time was how Nelson would be lucky to survive that season. When the team did start having some success with Nelson, Mac T was trying to give the credit to the foundation Eakins had laid. I don’t recall him ever acknowledging Nelson for doing a good job.

Reactions: Del Preston

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I don’t believe this for a second. He and Eakins tried to discredit Nelson right from the beginning. At the first rookie tournament Eakins was taking shots at how Nelson was coaching in OKC and Mac T was backing him up. The talk on these boards at the time was how Nelson would be lucky to survive that season. When the team did start having some success with Nelson, Mac T was trying to give the credit to the foundation Eakins had laid. I don’t recall him ever acknowledging Nelson for doing a good job.
MacTavish hated how badly Nelson made Eakins look. When Yakupov had his incredible turn around under Nelson, MacT said he had never seen anything like it in all his years in hockey and couldn't figure out what the reason was. iirc he also said the reason the team played better after Eakins was because the roster was improved.

Reactions: rboomercat90

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
What's the history like for head coaches going straight from the CHL to the NHL? Dale Hunter is the only one I can think of right now. He got the Caps to round two of the playoffs after coming from London a quarter into the season.

Edit: Don Hay is another. He didn't last a season with the Flames.

If they turf McLellan I would like to see Manny Viveiros at least get the interim label.
I think there have been a lot more than that. Maybe not lately though. Didn’t Hitchcock come from Kamloops? Renney may have been another.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I think there have been a lot more than that. Maybe not lately though. Didn’t Hitchcock come from Kamloops? Renney may have been another.
HockeyDB says Hitchcock came from the IHL and had three seasons as an assistant in the NHL before that. Renney was the Canadian National Team head coach for two seasons before joining the NHL.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I didn't think MacT wanted to coach when Eakins was fired and was why he was behind the bench for only a handful of games to help Nelson out.

It would be like watching Undercover Boss but then instead of going g back to being the boss they stay at the entry level position.

Wouldn't make any sense for MacT to go back to the daily grind of coaching, the travel away from his family and the stress for no extra incentive.

Reactions: McFuhryous

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->