Coach get fired on (enter date here)

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I'll say the end of November when we are well out of the playoffs. Gulutzan will take over as interim coach.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Nov 9, 2018. After 16GP. I'm being scientific, I looked at the schedule. ;) The killer roadtrip sequence preceding will be the gangplank. The team at that point will have 10pts in 16GP. Unfortunately the schedule from there does not get any easier for the new Head Coach, whoever that may be.

But at that point the org will HAVE to fire McLellan or risk another season. That, already, would be the kills witch point beyond which there is no climbing back.

I can't even imagine a scenario of this team being .500 after Nov 8.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Satoru Gojo

Jan 15, 2012
Well the question is if your firing TMac who are you replacing him with thats a solid upgrade?

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
End of this month if we are below 500. Not expecting it, but it should happen.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I’m going to say prior to the second east coast road trip after the Hawks game on Nov 1 if they have twelve or less points after that game. That’s game 12 so they need to be a .500 team to keep the noose from tightening.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Well the question is if your firing TMac who are you replacing him with thats a solid upgrade?
The replacement will be Gulutzan. He’s not a solid upgrade but he was just hired along with Yawney and Vivieros. Wouldn’t be surprised if Chiarelli is let go at the same time.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Already dejected at how the team seems to be playing the exact same system. Even 1st PP unit is exactly the same as last year after the Letestu trade. McLellan really does come from the school of Babcock. He is king, and what he says goes. All assistants are just there to make his wishes come true. Can't get rid of this guy quickly enough.

I'll go with mid Nov. Unfortunately, season could be pretty much lost by then.

Reactions: PulYou

Studz

Jun 20, 2015
City of Champions
Not soon enough! I am a patient person. I am so sick of Todd McLellan, normally I don't like to see anyone lose their job, but this guy is opposite man. Everything everyone thinks he should do, from experts to fans... he does the exact opposite.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Well if Chia does it this year and assumedly Gulutzan steps in as the at least interim replacement I'm going to guess November 8th. Chia can't afford for the Oilers to miss the playoffs again and given the schedule they could very well be in a hole early in the season. If the Oilers start poorly and Chia wants to save his job there's only so long he can wait before the hole gets too deep to dig out of.

I'm not sure the Oilers will start so poorly that a coaching change is made but its hard to envision the Oilers being very successful with McLellan as coach. I don't think Gulutzan is the right choice either as a replacement and I think Chia seems too rattled to make the best decisions to get things on course so if the team does start poorly it seems just a matter of time before Chia's gone too.

I'd rather the team be successful but if Chia and McLellan are just going to piss years away being a middling team it's obviously better to get rid of them sooner than later.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Already dejected at how the team seems to be playing the exact same system. Even 1st PP unit is exactly the same as last year after the Letestu trade. McLellan really does come from the school of Babcock. He is king, and what he says goes. All assistants are just there to make his wishes come true. Can't get rid of this guy quickly enough.

I'll go with mid Nov. Unfortunately, season could be pretty much lost by then.

Babcock is pretty stubborn but I think he is much better at in-game adjustments and motivating his team.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Babcock is pretty stubborn but I think he is much better at in-game adjustments and motivating his team.

Oh, without a doubt, he is a far better coach in basically every aspect, technically, dealing with players, dealing with media, everything. McLellan is a poor mans Babcock at best. Probably closer to a full on hobo's Babcock.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Nov 14th if we lose to Montreal on the 13th. Team has 3 days off, which is as good of a time as any if it needs to be done.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
not sure about exact date but i think it does seem somewhat likely to happen with the hiring of gulutzan this summer. i would guess they kept tmac on to help with the transition for gully and to help familiarise him with the situation. maybe tmac will step down somewhere down the line and save face from being fired? who knows, the way this organization does things can be baffling. i think either way (if team does well or poorly) tmac may not be here much longer. i wouldn't be surprised if gully is starting to take over with his own ways in the room already.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Who cares really. It will be Gulutzan replacing him and the Oilers will be behind the 8 ball and won't recover.

So it'll be another wasted season.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
not sure about exact date but i think it does seem somewhat likely to happen with the hiring of gulutzan this summer. i would guess they kept tmac on to help with the transition for gully and to help familiarise him with the situation. maybe tmac will step down somewhere down the line and save face from being fired? who knows, the way this organization does things can be baffling. i think either way (if team does well or poorly) tmac may not be here much longer. i wouldn't be surprised if gully is starting to take over with his own ways in the room already.

I don’t really see gully taking over the room at this point. If anything I don’t see any influence from Gully, Vivieros or Yawney on this team. It looks the same as last year so far.

If TM is fired, I am sure that Gully will take over. Honestly I don’t think hes the best fit either. Bleh

PulYou

Feb 16, 2018
Sooner the better, so there is a chance that this year will not be totally wasted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad