Coach get fired on (enter date here)

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
A five game loosing streak with Todd getting fired might be the best thing for this hockey team.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
A five game loosing streak with Todd getting fired might be the best thing for this hockey team.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
the sad part is there's no chance Lowe/MacT/Howson are going anywhere

these bumbling idiots have been employed with the organization for almost 20 years and have overseen 4 playoff berths...pathetic

they've been hired, fired, re-hired, demoted and promoted and still infest the organization like a virus

"meaningful change" will never come as long as Katz owns the team

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
The sign of a good coach is his ability to adapt during times of adversity with his team. He has shown time and time again with the Sharks teams that he has no plan B, and that was a Stanley cup contending team. His job is on the line and even then he has no plan B.

I am sure hes a good person and a good character but like any career, adapt with the times or fail. Its sad when someone loses their job but it seems like he does not know how to change his gameplan. I have a hard time believing someone refuses to do something different when their career and reputation are on the line. Mclellen is not a guy that gives up, from people in his inner circle always talk about his character and never say die attitude, we have heard this all the way through from the red wings organization to the junior teams he coached.

Its sad when someone can't grow as a professional. We have all run into that old guy at work that seems lost and confused when a new tech or system arrives at work and everyone is expected to be half way decent at a computer but this person does not even have one at home, and does not even know how to write an email or place a work order. Hes that guy and i feel like a horrible person wishing someone loses their job. But its obvious that they just are lost and confused in a new world. God speed old chap. Much like Brooks in Shawshank, we shall not forget you.

Todd was here.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Honestly... yeah. It might do a lot of good and if the first two games are any indication we’re a Hughes front runner with Todd at the helm.

Yes, it’s only two games, the games were spaced terribly and jet lag is a thing but the Devils had the same thing we did and they came out guns blazing and spanked the Cup champs. Sick of excuses and second chances. Get the job done and get the team ready to play, or get the f*** out of the way.

And for God’s sake give the powerplay to Viveiros.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
November 1 is a good date because if the team is say 3-7 or some such thing then there's no reason to wait until the end of the season unless they want to flush the rest of it?

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home

Well from an efficiency standpoint having a losing streak right out of the gate so that he's fired as soon as possible is really ideal. It would be somewhat ironic if part of the reason Chia and McLellan are fired is because the Oilers (Chia included, not sure about McLellan) chose to put the team in a tough spot to start the year by asking for an Eastern road trip after going to Europe and the difficult schedule ends up being a significant factor in doing them in. Of course, maybe Nicholson views this as a sink or swim situation anyways.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
November 1 is a good date because if the team is say 3-7 or some such thing then there's no reason to wait until the end of the season unless they want to flush the rest of it?

Waiting til the end of the season just allows things to fester and prevents the team from getting a fresh voice in there to better evaluate the roster, even if said voice isn't the next head coach..

Reactions: Dan Kelly

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
The sign of a good coach is his ability to adapt during times of adversity with his team. He has shown time and time again with the Sharks teams that he has no plan B, and that was a Stanley cup contending team. His job is on the line and even then he has no plan B.

I am sure hes a good person and a good character but like any career, adapt with the times or fail. Its sad when someone loses their job but it seems like he does not know how to change his gameplan. I have a hard time believing someone refuses to do something different when their career and reputation are on the line. Mclellen is not a guy that gives up, from people in his inner circle always talk about his character and never say die attitude, we have heard this all the way through from the red wings organization to the junior teams he coached.

Its sad when someone can't grow as a professional. We have all run into that old guy at work that seems lost and confused when a new tech or system arrives at work and everyone is expected to be half way decent at a computer but this person does not even have one at home, and does not even know how to write an email or place a work order. Hes that guy and i feel like a horrible person wishing someone loses their job. But its obvious that they just are lost and confused in a new world. God speed old chap. Much like Brooks in Shawshank, we shall not forget you.

Todd was here.

I think we all feel for that guy that you speak of mostly because losing the job impacts his ability to provide for himself and his family. Todd will have several million still coming to him to ease the pain. I'm sure he'll be okay.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
I'm not convinced Todd is the problem. He's obviously not the solution either.
I've said this time and time again. There's something really f***ed up with this entire organization.
Something that gets the least amount out of their players.

We've had plenty of gm's.. plenty of coaches. And the same results. Even a few presidents and ceo's.

This team blows monkey chucks... the organization is a disaster and has been since the cup appearance.
The infection that they attempted to purge before McDavid's arrival has returned in full force.

In the end.

Oilers gonna mother f***ing Oil.
They're a bunch of losers and they know it.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Grain of salt with this guy obv.

Interesting. Shades of Denis Savard. Started off 2008-09 going 1-2-1 after playing the Rangers, Capitals, Predators and Coyotes (3 of which has pretty decent seasons the year before, but not quite as strong as Boston or Winnipeg from last year, but Coyotes/Predators back then were similar to Devils/Rangers last year).

Difference being they had Quenneville sitting in the press box waiting, whereas we have Gulutzan sitting there waiting. Oilers gotta Oil.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Interesting. Shades of Denis Savard. Started off 2008-09 going 1-2-1 after playing the Rangers, Capitals, Predators and Coyotes (3 of which has pretty decent seasons the year before, but not quite as strong as Boston or Winnipeg from last year, but Coyotes/Predators back then were similar to Devils/Rangers last year).

Difference being they had Quenneville sitting in the press box waiting, whereas we have Gulutzan sitting there waiting. Oilers gotta Oil.

There is a lot of good coaches that have been let go that are sitting and waiting by the phone. A few decent GM's too.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
I've said this time and time again. There's something really ****ed up with this entire organization.
Something that gets the least amount out of their players.

We've had plenty of gm's.. plenty of coaches. And the same results. Even a few presidents and ceo's.

This team blows monkey chucks... the organization is a disaster and has been since the cup appearance.
The infection that they attempted to purge before McDavid's arrival has returned in full force.

This sums things up in a nutshell....this organizations inability to purge the team of the chronic losing. It just shouldn't be that hard but for the Oilers it is and I don't understand why??? No matter what moves they make on the ice or in the coaching and management end of things they just lose and lose....

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I have no idea what management is waiting for. This is now 60ish games of shit in the last year. Nothing is going to change with this coach.

The worst part is if they win tomorrow against a rebuilding team it just buys Todd more time.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I’ve posted this before but:

Pittsburgh fired Mike Johnston after a 15-10-3 start. He had a 58-37-15 record as head coach of that team.

That’s the difference between a franchise accustomed to winning and accepting nothing less, and this sad sack franchise of losers where the owner is content to just provide his friends gainful employment.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
There is a lot of good coaches that have been let go that are sitting and waiting by the phone. A few decent GM's too.

Though I believe this to be true, right now I'm struggling to think who of significance is actually available right now. Tippett's likely locked to Seattle. Vignault is still out there, but most of the other ones that come to mind like the Sutters and Ruff's of the world, I think the game has passed them by, and you probably can't grab an AHL coach mid-season unless it's from your own organization.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
That's the thing I don't get about Todd's approach to this. They bring in two assistants with head coach experience. You'd think Todd would look at this as a sign as "You are on notice. Shape up or we'll ship you out", but nope...same old Todd.

He'll be coaching in the KHL before you know it.

I don't think Gulutzan will be promoted though. Interim, yes. Full time...no.

Reactions: PulYou

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
...furthermore, re: Katz.

I don't think he's as detached from the role as some think. I'm positive Friedman had a piece last season where Katz was livid with their performance and he wanted to fire the entire coaching staff after a certain game...I want to say the Dallas road game where the give a poop meter was fubar'd and Gretzky and Nicholson were in attendance. If I remember right, Nicholson and Chiarelli talked him out of it.

Jean Ralphio

Dec 13, 2008
Does he even care anymore? Shows nothing when behind the bench, rehashes the same platitudes and moral victories after every loss, systems appear to be unchanged from last year's failure of a season, etc. It's almost like he thinks the process will in due time sort itself out.

Reactions: PulYou

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad