Aug 1, 2003
The list of candidates are:

Keith Gretzky
Scott Howson
Mark Messier
Craig Mactavish
Wayne Gretzky

Am I forgetting any realistic choices?

The return of Buchy? Maybe Horcoff is ready to come save the day for Katz. They were super tight back in the day, think Katz sold him a lot near his house in Edmonton?

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Faith in Chia ended years ago. He should certainly have been the first one gone, Hell, he should never have been here. Rue the day he was hired and I'm consistent with that. But I didn't want McLellan either, right on both counts. .

Rule of thumb is that the GM gets at least 2 coaches. Do, let's rip this smelly ripped up bandaid off ASAP so the wound can get back to festering out in the open.

oil85

Mar 12, 2017
Rule of thumb is that the GM gets at least 2 coaches. Do, let's rip this smelly ripped up bandaid off ASAP so the wound can get back to festering out in the open.

Or if knowing 2nd coach failing would mark my own despise, I would ride the current coach as long as possible to deflect/obscure any GM failings myself. To at least as close to trade deadline as possible before fans start rioting. Then knowing playoffs is beyond out of reach fans will be relieved any change for sake of change will be okay with just a coach firing to blow the lid. They will inevitably care less how the season finishes and embrace the random experimental line changes/rosters to the hyped high upcoming draft. Buys me time for ANOTHER off-season but this time it's different - I'm more flexible with off-season moves - modified NMC to Sekera/Russell and hopefully Lucic plays well enough to trade himself out.

Reactions: oobga

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Or if knowing 2nd coach failing would mark my own despise, I would ride the current coach as long as possible to deflect/obscure any GM failings myself. To at least as close to trade deadline as possible before fans start rioting. Then knowing playoffs is beyond out of reach fans will be relieved any change for sake of change will be okay with just a coach firing to blow the lid. They will inevitably care less how the season finishes and embrace the random experimental line changes/rosters to the hyped high upcoming draft. Buys me time for ANOTHER off-season but this time it's different - I'm more flexible with off-season moves - modified NMC to Sekera/Russell and hopefully Lucic plays well enough to trade himself out.

For sure, Chia has lots of incentive right now to keep McLellan. He knows as well as anyone that his next coach is probably his last, and the fingers start to get pointed his way if things keep going south.

Up to old Bobby Burgers to be the driving force behind his firing like he was with Eakins :) Also the issue of McLellan still being owed almost 6M over this year and next.

Reactions: oil85

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018

The problem with your line of reasoning though is you're assuming Chia takes it as a given he will be fired, in which case yeah, you milk it as long as possible.

It doesn't make any sense to sewer the season though since that would hurt his chances of having a GM job in the future. Whether you believe in him or not, I'd imagine he believes in himself enough to do what he thinks is the best long term move, not try to milk an extra half season expecting to eventually be fired.

PulYou

Feb 16, 2018
Sooner the better.

If he gets a few wins, there's still no guarantee that last season will not recur. I would imagine this would hurt the incomes too.

Wake up management!

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Sunday?

If they lose to the rebuilding Rangers I could see it happening.

If he manages to stay for the home opener I hope he gets booed out of the building during introductions.

Not particularly thrilled with Gulutzan taking over but he rallied a bad Flames team after a horrible start in 2016-17 and then again later in the season to get into the playoffs. Last year they were also in a playoff spot until Smith had his yearly injury.

Last edited:

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Really disappointed they didn't pull the plug tonight. We're going to pound the piss out of the Rangers on Saturday and its going to distract from how flawed this product actually is. By the time the management decides it's McLellan's head that needs to roll, the season may be unsalvageable.

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018
Really disappointed they didn't pull the plug tonight. We're going to pound the piss out of the Rangers on Saturday and its going to distract from how flawed this product actually is. By the time the management decides it's McLellan's head that needs to roll, the season may be unsalvageable.

It's rare that I get to watch an Oiler's game at home, and when I do it's usually an afternoon game on the weekend. I don't recall seeing the Oilers win a single time in this scenario in the last year. The Rangers are a team we should expect to beat, and that is exactly the type of team last year's oilers would lose to, and last year's Oilers is exactly what this team has looked like through 2 games. Put Todd Mclellan in a goddamn can and implement some modern day NHL systems. If that doesn't work then we have our answer about Peter Chiarelli.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
With the use of Benning on the pk, and even being in the lineup, and continued use of Cagg, RNH, Yama, also on the pk I can only wonder if McLellan is betting on his own demise and picked a before date...

Does this guy want to be gone? Its not even a question. This is self destructing. I wonder if he even wanted to be back without his pal sidekick. This would be stressful now for McLellan who now doesn't have his own crew. I don't think he likes this job site at all now and just wants to pack bags and end this chapter. But he wants to get paid so he's here until he's fired and then still gets paid. Nice work if you can get it..

Reactions: PulYou

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
With the use of Benning on the pk, and even being in the lineup, and continued use of Cagg, RNH, Yama, also on the pk I can only wonder if McLellan is betting on his own demise and picked a before date...

Does this guy want to be gone? Its not even a question. This is self destructing. I wonder if he even wanted to be back without his pal sidekick. This would be stressful now for McLellan who now doesn't have his own crew. I don't think he likes this job site at all now and just wants to pack bags and end this chapter. But he wants to get paid so he's here until he's fired and then still gets paid. Nice work if you can get it..
Other than Brodz I'm not sure there's a single PKer forward on this roster.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Other than Brodz I'm not sure there's a single PKer forward on this roster.

and of course he was scratched in a game in Boston. There isn't anybody more adept at pk against bean town and he's not in the lineup. It just defies description.

McLellan; "I'm just going to keep putting Benning, Cagg, Yama, Nuge on PK until I'm fired. Sit your ass down Brodz, who needs you"

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Hey you know what would be a good idea. Lets scratch the fourth liner that we just signed to improve penalty killing and faceoffs and instead play a smallish weak forward who's terrible at penalty killing. But he works hard so its ok.

We need to send a message to our players that have not had time to get used to our system, or team, our players, lets just do what we did last year and hope it works.

Signed Todd Mcdump

PS: Isn't Matt Benning dreamy? You think he notices me???

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
A five game loosing streak with Todd getting fired might be the best thing for this hockey team.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
A five game loosing streak with Todd getting fired might be the best thing for this hockey team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad