Clutterbuck Very Disappointing in Debut, But Getting Better???

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Sometimes it's just a bad fit. Things don't always work like you think they should on paper. The draft is littered with players that don't work out for whatever reason. The team and Nino made mistakes. Sometimes it's just best to move on.

Snow has shown that he doesn't take **** lying down. Once the malcontent garbage started showing it's head from the Nino camp, I knew his days were numbered on the Island. No team has a flawless record with draft picks and the Isles definitely mishandled Nino. But, they have a guy they like and who wants to be part of the team. Perspective. It's not the end of the world.

Snow has been gm since 2006-2007 and has had underwhelming on ice success during those yrs.
Man I have never seen such arrogrance from a gm, with so little reason to be arrogrant.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I hate probably 60 percent of our fan base. You know the ones..... they change their perspective of different situations, depending on what they decide to ***** about at the moment.

It's seriously high comedy, I'm left wondering why you even bother rooting for this team if it gives you such angst that you can't even be happy in the good times.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I hate probably 60 percent of our fan base. You know the ones..... they change their perspective of different situations, depending on what they decide to ***** about at the moment.

It's seriously high comedy, I'm left wondering why you even bother rooting for this team if it gives you such angst that you can't even be happy in the good times.

>>>>>>

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
might we be forgetting about Nino's agent, as part of the problem? is it possible that he (too lazy to look up his name) caused a lot of angst? this would make sense, since Nino supposedly does not have a bad character.

about Snow... here we go again. :shakehead

the haters pick and choose specific incidents, completely ignoring Snow's good moves, to justify their 'correct' viewpoint.

i might as well defend myself right now, because i'm sure that a retort with 'rose-colored glasses', and 'kool-aid' in it, is not far behind.

no one said that he is great. no one that i remember. most of us are just saying that he is not terrible. made mistakes, and made some moves too.

haters, just say that you hate him because of his smile, or haircut, or whatever. and lets move on...

It Was 4 to 1*

Mar 22, 2009
Snow has been gm since 2006-2007 and has had underwhelming on ice success during those yrs.
Man I have never seen such arrogrance from a gm, with so little reason to be arrogrant.

how is trading someone who obviously did not want to be here, arrogant?

by the way snow picked up former 4th overall thomas hickey, i guess that evens out trading away a former 5th overall!!

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
how is trading someone who obviously did not want to be here, arrogant?

by the way snow picked up former 4th overall thomas hickey, i guess that evens out trading away a former 5th overall!!

The poster I responded to said Snow does not take **** lying down, that when Nino started complaining the poster knew Nino woukd be dealt.

I find it pretty arrogrant that Snow will trade a player, even for a low return, so that Snow can show that he won't take ****.

Nino and his rep had already publicly backed off his trade demand, with Nino telling the press at tve WJC that he was focusing on working hard and going to NYI training camp to win a nhl job.

And what does taking the undersized, often physically o overmatched Hickey off waivers, have to do with making a bad Nino trade?

It Was 4 to 1*

Mar 22, 2009
The poster I responded to said Snow does not take **** lying down, that when Nino started complaining the poster knew Nino woukd be dealt.

I find it pretty arrogrant that Snow will trade a player, even for a low return, so that Snow can show that he won't take ****.

And what does taking the undersized, often physically o overmatched Hickey off waivers, have to do with making a bad Nino trade?

if snow was arrogant, nabokov and visnovsky wouldn't be playing for us right now.

it has to do with people thinking that high drafted players still retain their value after their draft year. nino's stock plummeted after his -29 season (not his fault), it fell even more when he demanded a trade (his fault).

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
if snow was arrogant, nabokov and visnovsky wouldn't be playing for us right now.

it has to do with people thinking that high drafted players still retain their value after their draft year. nino's stock plummeted after his -29 season (not his fault), it fell even more when he demanded a trade (his fault).

Go back and read the last 2-3 days in this thread.
I have already pointed out that Snow is the gm who drafted Nino, kept him up in the nhl as a struggling 19 yr old instead of demoting him to juniors.

Nino was not some previous gm's mess, that Snow had to clean up. Snow helped make the Nino cluster**** and traded him when his value was very low.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
Nino was not that good....he got better when he was pushing for a job but when things didn't go his way again, he turtled and slumped and his attitude got worse. NOT THE KIND OF GUY YOU WANT LONG TERM.

Will he grow up? Maybe...worth waiting on if you wanna continue the rebuild for another six years.

But the team is shaping up and Snow deserved CREDIT. JT, Moulson scores thirty every year, Grabner is evolving further from breakaway artist to more complete player. Martin is a force. CMac a surprise depth gem. Hamonic getting proper notice. AMac unheralded calming presence on defense. Poulin and Nilsson coming closer. Strait a steal. Hickey a smallish but very caable cog. Bailey turning into a solid, SOLID 2nd liner {don't rule out return to center!}. Nielson is a valuable three zone piece. We needed a gamer, a physical scoring threat.....so.....

babysit the Swiss Miss or get a known solid core piece?

Glad Ms.Minus is on the Wild.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
I think I would move cc to the 4th line with Martin and Czikas. Try McDonald with Nelson and grabner. Put Nielsen back with Bailey and okposo and hope that PMB, Moulson and tj can find it or look to bring someone in.

They need grabner on that 3rd line to provide some offence. You start putting bailey, grabner and jt all on the same line and it's going to be hard to find that secondary scoring. This team won't survive without it...

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
I think I would move cc to the 4th line with Martin and Czikas. Try McDonald with Nelson and grabner. Put Nielsen back with Bailey and okposo and hope that PMB, Moulson and tj can find it or look to bring someone in.

They need grabner on that 3rd line to provide some offence. You start putting bailey, grabner and jt all on the same line and it's going to be hard to find that secondary scoring. This team won't survive without it...

Clutterbuck is more of a second liner than CMac is a third liner. Just an FYI.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
Clutterbuck is more of a second liner than CMac is a third liner. Just an FYI.

Haven't seen anything from cc that suggests he is a 2nd liner. McDonald played very well last year with auction and grabner in a 3rdish type role. Cappy doesn't show to much difference between his 3rd and 4th line in usage

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
Glad Nino is gone. Glad Clutterbuck is an Islander. I am concerned that Clutterbuck won't quite be the wrecking ball we are hoping for, but it is what it is...

With Strome, Nelson and Lee in the pipeline I really don't care that Nino is gone. From what I saw he wasn't much. Hickey was a top 5 pick too and if we traded him for Clutterbuck I don't think anyone here would be crying.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
While I'm taking a wait and see on Clutterbuck(since I've never really seen him play) I'm still disapointed in the trade. He was the guy that I felt would take Moulson's spot and improve on it. Some people here harp on his rookie season here but that was a train wreck from the get go. Completely misused especially for a kid like that. Snow completely mishandled him that season and especially in the short season. At that point in time he really deserved a look more than Colin Mcdonald and I felt would have performed better even in a bottom six role that he could've grew from.

People tend to forget that if your saddled with two god awful players it will make you look incredibly bad. Combine that with a 19 year old rookie who wasn't ready and it has the makings for a disaster. Fast forward a year and put him in a role with Cizikas and Martin and you would have the makings of a much more dangerous line while giving Nino a chance to prove himself especially after how successful he was the first half of the AHL season.

Also people talk about his character and whining. I wonder how he would've been affected by being around guys like JT/Okposo/Hamonic/etc.? Probably be a completely different situation with him.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
That's not what I said. Stop it.

You said you knew he was gone when he started complaining because Snow does not take **** lying down.

We know from the press that Snow offered Nino for Schneider. It is a good bet that Nino was also offered for Bernier, since the press says Snow pursued a Bernier trade.

So, Snow was determined to get Nino out of the organization , despite how much his trade value had taken a hit.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
You said you knew he was gone when he started complaining because Snow does not take **** lying down.

We know from the press that Snow offered Nino for Schneider. It is a good bet that Nino was also offered for Bernier, since the press says Snow pursued a Bernier trade.

So, Snow was determined to get Nino out of the organization , despite how much his trade value had taken a hit.
And a FIERCE Snow opponent like myself lauds him for putting team chemistry first.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise

You said "so that Snow can show that he won't take ****." I didn't say that. What I meant is that Snow has demonstrated that he doesn't take malcontent/criticism of the organization lightly. Not that he made the trade to show anything. Which is why:
Nabokov and Vis say hello.

They never complained about the Islanders.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
And a FIERCE Snow opponent like myself lauds him for putting team chemistry first.

And someone who has been a FIERCE Snow supporter over the yrs, thinks he wasted a 5th overall pick.

Not sold on Nino? Then draft Skinner , Gormley , Tarensenko or Knutsenov(sp).

Offered Nino around to two teams in potential Bernier/Schneider trades, but found his trade value has taken a big hit? Then see if your franchise cannot raise his trade value. I scoffed for months when fans posted Nino was a bust at 19. His play in Minn has shown how his career is back on track.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
And someone who has been a FIERCE Snow supporter over the yrs, thinks he wasted a 5th overall pick.

Offered Nino around to two teams in potential Bernier/Schneider trades, but found his trade value has taken a big hit? Then see if your franchise cannot raise his trade value. I scoffed for months when fans posted Nino was a bust at 19. His play in Minn has shown how his career is back on track.

Trust me....I wanted one of those guys, NOT Nino. How awesome would Skinner be on line 1 RW?

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Trust me....I wanted one of those guys, NOT Nino. How awesome would Skinner be on line 1 RW?

I am not complaining that Nino has been traded. I am complaining because I don't think CC + a 3rd is good value for a recent 5th overall pick.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010

No doubt part of that is on Snow. Nino was probably taking everything personally and from reading his agent's words the smart guess is that that idget fanned the flames further.

But Nino also took the path of least character by trying to shove it all on the shoulders of his agent. If you want a bad guy in this I think you need to accept that the bad guy is actually three people, 4 even, if you add in that Nino was only brought up to save Wang money to begin with.

Water under the bridge at this point, but yeah, I wanted a higher return as well and it is a solid minus that we didn't get it.

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site

I absolutely agree with you, Crew. It was almost Milburyesque that way Snow reduced a top five pick to an above average third liner (like the way Milbury essentially turned Redden into Dave Scatchard in an increasingly dumb set of moves)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad