Clutterbuck Very Disappointing in Debut, But Getting Better???

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
At the game last night, first one this year, and have to disagree with the reviews on Clutterbuck.

Fist off this team doesn't need this type player, they have one his name is Matt Martin and he has more talent than Clutterbuck.

Yes, Clutterbuck was throwing himself all over the place but did so very recklessly. Three times I saw was more concerned with hitting then being responsible for his man. Once, mid 2nd period, it lead directly to a Sabre scoring chance.

Has the Isles not had Martin, then the need for a Clutterbuck type guy was warranted. In this case all he's doing is using air that others could benefit from.

What you are saying is right. Cutterbuck definitely has some reckless Jordin Tootoo/Steve Webb element, running around trying to make a big hit at the expense of the safe/smart/positional play. Where I think we disagree is whether the Islanders need this type of player or not.

I think yes.

I'd take another Matt Martin in a heartbeat. Over the next Bouchard/Boyes/Parenteau/Nino for sure. I'd also take another Colin McDonald and Casey Cizikas for that matter.

The Islanders are only good when they play inspired, energetic, emotional hockey. When they do, they are pretty damn good. Tavares got into a little "thing" with Ott yesterday and played like he was on a mission after that. Guys like Clutterbuck and Martin and Cizikas HELP that. Zenon Konopka and Matt Martin, in the historic Pens 9-3 romp and subsequent winning streak, do the same.

If hockey was as simple as stick handling, passing, shooting and stats, then Rob Schremp would not be in Europe.

I loved Clutterbuck's game yesterday. You take the poor penalties and the erratic coverage, at times. Just as you would when Brendan Witt and Rich Pilon and Darius Kasparaitis and Bryan Marchment and Ulf Samulelsson would go out of their way to hit and harass players like Mario Lemieux, Cam Neely.

That's a HUGE part of the game, one that is very underrated by some.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Poor evaluation of his game last night.

I didn't think he 'left his man' just to make a hit. He also knew he was getting under their skin, so hitting them and keeping on them resulted in a PP for our team. He wasn't running around hitting early in the game, it wasn't until things started to escalate and Buffalo started acting stupid that he began throwing his body around. The team also played better after Clutterbuck, Martin, and CC started hitting things.

Exactly, it's like this guy watched a completely different game. Clutterbuck was so active on the forecheck and really made life tough for the defensiveman. He played a solid game and I can't see the truth in the comment "Martin is more talented". Martin is a fan favorite but not because of talent. He's there to hit as well. I think they are pretty similar players and are definitely a great combo. 2 players that fit that mold don't make it 1 to many like this dude is trying to claim...

Isles Fan

Sep 12, 2006
Poor evaluation of his game last night.

I didn't think he 'left his man' just to make a hit. He also knew he was getting under their skin, so hitting them and keeping on them resulted in a PP for our team. He wasn't running around hitting early in the game, it wasn't until things started to escalate and Buffalo started acting stupid that he began throwing his body around. The team also played better after Clutterbuck, Martin, and CC started hitting things.

I have to ask if you were at the game?

If you were and you were watching the entire play and not just the puck carrier you would have noticed that mid second period he hit a his guy behind the net, then left his man to chase down and hit someone else, hit him and was looking for more. Meanwhile his man got up and had a point blank shot that Nabokov made a great stop on. I was in 208 all happened right in front of me. Some stuff you just don't see on TV.

I agree an agitator is needed and they have one in Martin. Having 2 is just a waste of a line up spot. Then again on this team I'd struggle to name who could replace him out there.

Isles Fan

Sep 12, 2006
What you are saying is right. Cutterbuck definitely has some reckless Jordin Tootoo/Steve Webb element, running around trying to make a big hit at the expense of the safe/smart/positional play. Where I think we disagree is whether the Islanders need this type of player or not.

I think yes.

I'd take another Matt Martin in a heartbeat. Over the next Bouchard/Boyes/Parenteau/Nino for sure. I'd also take another Colin McDonald and Casey Cizikas for that matter.

The Islanders are only good when they play inspired, energetic, emotional hockey. When they do, they are pretty damn good. Tavares got into a little "thing" with Ott yesterday and played like he was on a mission after that. Guys like Clutterbuck and Martin and Cizikas HELP that. Zenon Konopka and Matt Martin, in the historic Pens 9-3 romp and subsequent winning streak, do the same.

If hockey was as simple as stick handling, passing, shooting and stats, then Rob Schremp would not be in Europe.

I loved Clutterbuck's game yesterday. You take the poor penalties and the erratic coverage, at times. Just as you would when Brendan Witt and Rich Pilon and Darius Kasparaitis and Bryan Marchment and Ulf Samulelsson would go out of their way to hit and harass players like Mario Lemieux, Cam Neely.

That's a HUGE part of the game, one that is very underrated by some.

I agree 100% that it is a huge part of the game but they have their agitator in martin. Pilon wasn't an agitator, he was a stay at home d-man. Kasparaitis was an agitator and did his job well, but he was the one guy on the team who's job it was to do that, not him and someone else. Same with the others you mentioned, they held the one roster spot that every team should have for this type player. Isles already have that spot filled and martin does a great job. As for the Pens game, the entire team was agitators that night, unique situation.

Hey I hope Clutterbuck proves me wrong but so far just not impressed at all.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
I agree 100% that it is a huge part of the game but they have their agitator in martin. Pilon wasn't an agitator, he was a stay at home d-man. Kasparaitis was an agitator and did his job well, but he was the one guy on the team who's job it was to do that, not him and someone else. Same with the others you mentioned, they held the one roster spot that every team should have for this type player. Isles already have that spot filled and martin does a great job. As for the Pens game, the entire team was agitators that night, unique situation.

Hey I hope Clutterbuck proves me wrong but so far just not impressed at all.

curious. Were you expecting Clutterbuck to be a DIFFERENT player than he has been? better offensively? Were you thinking of him in terms of what we "gave up in Nino"?

The danger is in trying to compare Clutterbuck to Nino. They are completely different players.

Clutterbuck is playing EXACTLY as advertised.

--- not addressed to you, IslesFan, just my rant ---

Nino, for as much as we loved his potential, and he was a fifth overall (as was Phil Kessel, Carey Price) - wanted out, hadn't shown much so he was moved. He was moved not necessarily for the highest market value, possibly to address a team need.

If I look at the Islanders finishing last season and what they need to be better at to WIN a playoff series, Clutterbuck is a name (type of player) that makes that list.

The big needs have not been addressed, like Alex Pietrangelo and Jonathan Quick and Thomas Vanek (as examples) but those are not available. If they are available, they cost far more than Nino and close to the $100m for Suter/Parise as UFAs

Isles Fan

Sep 12, 2006
curious. Were you expecting Clutterbuck to be a DIFFERENT player than he has been? better offensively? Were you thinking of him in terms of what we "gave up in Nino"?

The danger is in trying to compare Clutterbuck to Nino. They are completely different players.

Clutterbuck is playing EXACTLY as advertised.

--- not addressed to you, IslesFan, just my rant ---

Nino, for as much as we loved his potential, and he was a fifth overall (as was Phil Kessel, Carey Price) - wanted out, hadn't shown much so he was moved. He was moved not necessarily for the highest market value, possibly to address a team need.

If I look at the Islanders finishing last season and what they need to be better at to WIN a playoff series, Clutterbuck is a name (type of player) that makes that list.

The big needs have not been addressed, like Alex Pietrangelo and Jonathan Quick and Thomas Vanek (as examples) but those are not available. If they are available, they cost far more than Nino and close to the $100m for Suter/Parise as UFAs

Never would compare him to Nino, two totally different players. Personally I thought Nino was way over rated.

Not expecting him to different than advertised at all, just don't like what I see so far and also don't see the fit on this team. I didn't like him coming here from day one and now that I have been to a game and got to see what TV doesn't show, my opinion has not changed.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Never would compare him to Nino, two totally different players. Personally I thought Nino was way over rated.

Not expecting him to different than advertised at all, just don't like what I see so far and also don't see the fit on this team. I didn't like him coming here from day one and now that I have been to a game and got to see what TV doesn't show, my opinion has not changed.

fair.

But how's this?

Since 2010/11, over 171 & 195 games for each player, here are the average goals, assists, points, PMs and +/- for Clutterbuck and Okposo, respectively.
G A P PIM +/-
16 14 30 88 -7
16 28 45 62 -6

Interesting that both average 16 goals over 82 games. Okposo playing top six minutes (with either Tavares or Nielsen) and Clutter playing 12-14min on the 3rd line in Minny.

Isles bottom six is very good and Clutterbuck makes it better.

Isles issue, at forward, is with the top six.

Clutterbuck is what he is. My fear is that it's Okposo and Moulson that are the underachievers on this forward group.

Isles Fan

Sep 12, 2006
Nice research and great points.

I cannot understand the hate here for Moulson. they guy is a consistent 30 goal guy since he's been here. They are not nearly as good a team without him.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Have felt Cal has DEFINITELY played his two best games in an Islander jersey the past two nights.

Starting to throw some beauts of checks out there.

And he can now and again do some real nice things with the puck.

Starting to become very intrigued with what we're gonna see of this guy when things are running on all cylinders.

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc

I cannot understand the hate here for Moulson. they guy is a consistent 30 goal guy since he's been here. They are not nearly as good a team without him.

i dont agree with your sentiment here....id rather a 20 goal scorer who is physical and plays well defensively than a 30 goal scorer who plays like a timid POS any day of the week...i am not here saying moulson is to be written off, but IMO his lack of physicality and defensive awareness cause 10-15 goals per year, making his net contribution that of an average at best player..

on a side note, i do think he has been playing a but more physically and tough since being moved away from JT...maybe it was a bit of a wake up call

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site

My problem with Moulson is fit....
1) I don't like him on the JT line for the most part. JT needs someone who can bring the puck into the zone occasionally, someone who can help him in the corners, and someone who can get back on D. Otherwise JT is doing too much. Moulson does none of those things.
2) When the Isles are rolling, the Nielsen line is a 2-way line, scoring but also matching up against the other team's best. Moulson cannot do that.

So, you are left with Moulson on the third line. Which is fine, if you have the right linemates, but the Isles in general are moving towards an up-tempo high energy style of play. Moulson is slow and static as a player. He has great hands. He can score. But he isn't adding much else and this is a team that needs more.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
"real players" don't pout when they don't get called up for training camp. "real players" don't demand trades

Roy, Messier & Pronger all demanded trades during their careers. Does that not make them real players?

Instead, your guy Garth took in a bender (Clutterbuck) on an expired contract. Then he paid that plug more than UFA Matt Cooke, who is twice, maybe three times the player and plays the same game.

Pens fan here. Cookes game hasn't quite been the same (at least in Pittsburgh) since the suspension the other year. He lost some of that edge that made him so effective. I'm glad he changed his game (well part of it), I just think he toned it down slightly more than needed. But I'm glad it's working for him and Minny.

Paulinho

No Man's Sky
Jun 8, 2003
Earth
Clutterbuck has been a royal disappointment. Waiting to like this guy but it hasn't happened yet, really wish we would hav handled the Niño situation better than we did. Still hoping Clutterbuck will win me over.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Clutterbuck has been a royal disappointment. Waiting to like this guy but it hasn't happened yet, really wish we would hav handled the Niño situation better than we did. Still hoping Clutterbuck will win me over.

sure could use Nino's ONE GOAL in the lineup, to Clutterbuck's ZERO. Of course, it's not his fault, he's with two scrubs like Koivu and Parise.

:sarcasm:

It Was 4 to 1*

Mar 22, 2009
Roy, Messier & Pronger all demanded trades during their careers. Does that not make them real players?

are you seriously comparing roy, messier, and pronger who were all PROVEN stars when they demanded trades to nino niederreiter? do i really have to spell that out for you?

Snapshotgoal

Feb 17, 2013
Tampa FL
Clutterbuck has shown me nothing. So far it's a garbage trade. Only thing i see is throwing mediocre checks with no puck skills. I much rather see Strome or Lee on the roster than Clutterbust.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I'm liking Clutterbuck's game and I agree with Chapin. He's showing some ability to make some nice plays and he seems to have better acceleration than I thought he would have. I think he's still in an adjustment phase and we are going to see some nice things from him.

I'm not worried at all....

LotteryForLife*

If you stare at Clusterf(Censored) long enough maybe he will turn back into Nino

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
typical. some of you judge him after a few games, which is sad.

hockey players are not robots. often their success is dependent on circumstances, and we've yet to see him in very many different scenarios. especially since he is returning from a fairly serious injury.

remember, he is only 25. lots of time for him to find his 'game'.

BigWorm

Mar 10, 2013
There is absolutely no way to deny that Clutterbuck has been nothing but a disappointment. I would move him down to the fourth line and promote McDonald to the third.

Our third line has been terrible all season, and besides Clutterbuck checking the boards he needs to be moved down. As of now.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
typical. some of you judge him after a few games, which is sad.

hockey players are not robots. often their success is dependent on circumstances, and we've yet to see him in very many different scenarios. especially since he is returning from a fairly serious injury.

remember, he is only 25. lots of time for him to find his 'game'.
By the end of the year the mood will change. It isn't even worth debating it. Clutter is coming off an injury that has obviously affected his game. Unless the Hall injury left a permanent change in how he plays. That is a different thing that we just have to wait and see on.

BigWorm

Mar 10, 2013
By the end of the year the mood will change. It isn't even worth debating it. Clutter is coming off an injury that has obviously affected his game. Unless the Hall injury left a permanent change in how he plays. That is a different thing that we just have to wait and see on.

We can hope for that but most Minnesota Wild fans thought his game had been declining over the years. He is still young, but his play so far has been worrisome. I hope and expect him to turn it around.

I say stick him on the fourth line until he proves he deserves a promotion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad